TN: Rossignol-Trapet Chambertin 2006

Pop ‘n poured and enjoyed over four hours saturday night.

A little rustic on opening, which was gone after 15 minutes, revealing a monumental nose of red and black fruits (think ripe cherry, blackberry and even blackcurrant), smoked tea, dark and gamey. A full pallet, but also juicy and fresh. Surprising cassis flavour in a very, very long finish. Combining it’s raw and meaty Chambertin core with great elegance and style. Tannins buffered by all the natural fruit, but certainly present in the background flexing it’s potential. A confident wine. And at a great point in it’s evolution, just about to enter the phase of secondary development. Grand vin for sure. The best 2006 I’ve had.

One of those bottles that make me realize what it’s all about. To bad it was my last bottle of two. The other was sacrificed in 2010 to see what a young Grand Cru was like. What a difference 10 years make, maybe not in fruit impact, but certainly in complexity. Can’t wait to open my first of a small 2005 stash, but patience still has the upper hand.

The RT plot, picture taken end of october.

Thanks, Jacob,
Nice note. I have one of these as well, which I think I will hold, but it’s good to know that it would not be total infanticide, should I open it.