Awesome Bourgogne Blanc

2017 Lamy-Caillat Bourgogne Blanc: This punches well above Bourgogne level. It has serious depth, texture and build. There are engaging orange blossom notes coupled with an array of citrus fruit flavours. It has some almond butter too. The palate is chewy, loaded with dry extract and the finish is long and chalky.

Sounds great but WSPRo says this is $77 a bottle in England. I can’t imagine a BB is worth that when you can drink village wines and some 1er’s for that price and less.

What vineyards is it sourced from, all declassed Chassagne 1ers?

Hi Kris,

It is worth every cent of that. This is one for the Coche lover. Long elevage. Deep, chewy and structured. Loads of dry extract. It comes off Grandes Corvées at the bottom of Chassagne.

Best Regards
Jeremy

JH…gun to your head…what’s your FAV bblanc year in and year out? And…if price is no factor, does that change it?

[cheers.gif]

Hi Mr Buzz,

My favourites are (in no particular order) Domaine Leflaive, Roulot, PYCM, Jean-Marc Vincent and Etienne Sauzet.

This was my first crack at a Lamy-Caillat and I have to say it was as good as a Bourgogne Blanc as I’ve had. I have a couple of their Chassagne on deck to try in the next few days.

Best Regards
Jeremy

HUGE fan of Roulot BB…really shows you “Roulot”, and Jean Marc considers it his most important wine. Love Leflaive…they are VERY close in form to the villages. Mixed on pycm as it’s the only wine that I’ve had from them that didn’t move me to write a tn. What about Coche? I like them, but the qpr suffers?

Don’t get to drink much Coche BB. Their Aligote is really good though.

Thanks Jeremy. Will keep an eye out as it doesn’t look like much if any makes it to US.

If you think their BBis good, try their Chassagne 1ers…

Great note. Lamy-Caillat appears to be completely unavailable in the US.

I recently had a '16 Coche BB alongside a '16 A. Ente BB. The Coche was vastly superior, but the pricing on both is stupid.

I don’t drink a lot of BB or have the experience many of y’all have, but for my palate I would put Roulot and Sauzet BB at the top of the heap. I haven’t tried recent-vintage Leflaive, but I need to do so. Leflaive has been really high quality lately.

I had a 2017 sauzet HCDB Jardin tonight and it was great. How does that compare to the Sauzet BB? Local shop has both and the HCDB is actually more expensive than the BB

Local shop in Midland Tx has Etienne Sauzet?

It’s not as fat and rich. I liked it better.

You are in for a treat! I’m quite proud to have been, as far as I know, the first Anglophone writer to write about Lamy-Caillat, back when I was working for Decanter. The Chassagne AOC punches above its weight, btw, as it is from Pot Bois - locate the lieu-dit on the map and you will understand why.

[/quote]

Local shop in Midland Tx has Etienne Sauzet?
[/quote]

Haha, instead of “local” shop I probably should have put “nearest” shop which would be Dallas or Austin. Only thing we have out here is decent Drouhin wines…

Haha, instead of “local” shop I probably should have put “nearest” shop which would be Dallas or Austin. Only thing we have out here is decent Drouhin wines you can find at HEB…

Cheers William. I’m wrapped that you and Jasper will venture off the well-trodden path that most other reviewers seem to pound. There are many worthy producers out there deserved of some airtime and you guys are doing en excellent job.

Colin is popping into the office for a spot of lunch today. I will pull the cork on a 2017 Lamy-Caillat Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Les Caillerets and report back.

Have a sole bottle of the 2017 too! Do you recommend to wait a while longer or is it good to go now?

Just had a Paul Pillot 2014 BB last night, it was back up the truck good but unfortunately my only bottle.

There MAY be a US source for his '18 wines which will be released this Fall…
;0

One vote for Morey Coffinet Bb. Good stuff.