2017 Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet A.C. blanc - as good as it gets

Posting this to the forum for the benefit of fellow Ramonet fans. If you are also in the US- prepare for some serious sticker shock, especially at the upper end, between the tariffs and what appear to be otherwise modest price increases. But if this Chassagne AC is any indication, the quality of what is in the bottle will be more than worth it.

2017 Jean-Claude Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet

bright pale lemon color, beautiful broad nose with cream already in full cry, melon, mint, sweet limes, almost the full tropical array of a very ripe vintage yet still with the sleek cut that is a hallmark of Ramonet, on the palate much the same- rich medium bodied fruit with opulent notes of melon and mango but also wonderfully tense underlying lemon and lime fruits, crisp green apple note, fine depth and creamy textures already partially developed, fine long fragrant finish with lively lime-coated acids, with time a bit of honeysuckle as well, 2014 was a benchmark year for Ramonet IMHO and this first experience with the 2017 Chassagne A.C. suggests 2017 may be a vintage of at least equal quality but also a rare example of a vintage where you get a nice display of the best of both worlds- meaning lean vs fat vintages. Sadly- between international demand and now the 25% tariffs, there is going to be some serious sticker shock for US buyers. But most of that pain is coming at the top end of the range- and given the sheer quality of this Chassagne A.C. it seems likely that the premier crus will be sufficiently outstanding to ease the pain for those of us who will be cutting back significantly on the grand crus this year. I have been enjoying Ramonet since the 1993 vintage and this is about as fine a Chassagne A.C. as I have ever had from this deservedly famous Domaine. I look forward to opening a premier cru or two in the coming months.

**(*)+, now to 2032.

Thanks for the TN. Looking forward to my case arriving post tariff.

I’ve been on a mini Ramonet rampage recently; 2014 ramped up my interest and 2017 is now arriving. Pricing, as Tom opined, is insane and grand crus are now outside my reach. The relatively new Clos du Cailleret is an awesome wine. They’ve reached into St. Aubin and there are other new offerings. The spectre of premox still exists but Ramonet remains my favorite domaine. Glad to see this 17 showing so well for you, Tom.

Just yesterday I bought 6 Ramonet Morgeot 17 from Mr. D, had a 20% off coupon. Minutes ago, 24 hours later, they reneged on the purchase though the web site still lists the wine.

Back to the hunt.

First bottle has it for 139/pop

Ouch. I paid $45.

For morgeot

For morgeot

only 3 b

1 Like

Thanks for the note Tom. Sounds enticing, and I hope you’re right about how 2017 whites show overall (and not just with Ramonet).

Thanks for the village note. The Vergers is spectacular in 2017 FWIW. I bought all but the Grand Crus in white and also bought all the reds. Fun vintage Chez Ramonet. The Grand Crus are so hard to acquire now and incredibly expensive.

Looks like you guys will have to come to Minneapolis when the lock down is ultimately over. I’ve heard there’s a guy with a fair amount of 2017 GC’s. How about:
June 9, 2021 - Minneapolis 2017 GC tasting!

Yes! Brad that sounds great.

Somehow I didn’t pay attention when this was released. I got just one Ramonet 2017, the Clos de Cailleret. So I’m happy you seem more alert and share this wonderfull note. Sounds great.

I have the oppurtunity to buy the 2018 version of this from the local importer, but am hesitant because of the hot vintage and like my whites fresh.

Thanks for the update on the 17’s, happy to have a few but count me in as curious on the ‘18 Ramonet line-up as well

Brad- I have not decided what to do on the other GCs yet, but I did get my usual case of Bienvenue. If there is room at the inn, I would be interested and could bring that, plus some lumber to make up for those who bring Chevalier and Montrachet.

Sounds like a plan. Now, let’s just lick that damn virus.

Thanks everyone for the kind words- and Don thank you for your comment on Vergers. Between rising prices and premox, these days I buy a lot fewer white burgs and I try to go for 6-8 each versus 3-4 to improve my odds, and your observation made the decision for me to have Vergers be on the yes list.

More general comment to all, your mileage may vary in your home market, but around here the wines are disappearing fast- real fast. I do not think there are going to be many, if any, bargain deals on these stateside. This is one of those occasions where I would advise moving fast.

Awesome- I am hopeful mid 2021 will be good timing. I have cancelled all of my fall 2020 travel plans except for 2 NYC trips for business, and with each passing day I am less comfortable making those trips. But wave II should be past by a year from now. Fingers crossed.

Opened this last night, thanks for the inspiration! Your note is spot on!

Only thing I was surprised by was just how light the color was. It was closer to the color of water than the typical pale yellow of burgundy. Is that a ramonet thing? Relatively new to Ramonet…

Sounds pretty epic. You can count on me for Faiveley and Bouchard Mont. More if we’re doing reds too. Would be really fun to compare!