A delicious 2011 Régnié from Pignard

I pulled this one out of the cellar the other day and didn’t recognize it. It had a Chambers Street sticker on the back and I searched my emails and found that I bought it in 2014. Looking at the receipt, I see that my main target that day was the 2012 Gonon St. Joseph for - don’t cry - $38.99 (before discount). To get the 10% case discount and minimize the per-bottle shipping cost (back when Chambers still shipped to MO), I would typically order throw-ins based on their recs, priced in my daily drinker price range. This was clearly one of them, and they must have said to give it some age, which is how it ended up in the cellar for so long.

The 2011 Pignard Régnié was $18.99 before discount on that receipt, and I only bought one.

I opened it Thursday and, believe it or not, it was still tight, but it opened up beautifully in the glass and was just delicious. One of the best Bojo I recall having (I drink a fair amount of cru Bojo, but almost exclusively at the daily drinker end, not at the Foillard 3.14 end). Juicy, fragrant, very satisfying. I did not decant, and put a stopper in after half of it was gone and put it back in the cellar.

Normally, I’d drink the second half the next night, but we ended up drinking a 2005 Delobre/Ferme du Sept Lunes St. Joseph over the following two nights instead (also delicious, btw, and apparently not very popular over here as CT shows a total of 11 bottles either in cellars or consumed, compared to a whopping 41 for the Pignard).

So it was night four when I returned to the Pignard, and what do you know, it was still delicious. There was some sediment on the side of the bottle so this time I decanted (there was a pretty decent amount of fine sediment at the end of the bottle as well), and while I was expecting it to show some negative effects from being open that long, it was still delicious.

If you have any of this, it can clearly go longer in the cellar, based upon how closed it was at first pour and how long it lasted. But definitely stand it up for as long as you can before opening, and decant.

Enjoy! [cheers.gif]