08 DP hunter

Zachys has 20% off 2k purchase and free shipping, 08 DP currently listed at 170 so comes to 136+tax. Not much more than the prices in UK discussed in the other thread without the hassle and cost of getting across the pond. Lower discounts for smaller purchases…

web site doesn’t even mention that sale . . . whoops, found it.

It’s not just limited to DP 2008 either, just so you know :wink:

Happy shopping all!

In the past, 20% off would almost get most wines down to retail. It’s been a while since I’ve shopped at Zachys

Certainly less hassle but tax is the real killer here. 136+tax = close to 150 all in.

Close to $150 all in is still a pretty good price. According to a local merchant, the TX distributor raised its price on the '08 $40 a bottle in the last month or so. I paid just over $140 a bottle, all in, a couple of times last year. Today I’d pay about $195 if I wanted to buy a bottle locally.

Sure, I agree, pretty good. But the point of this thread was to compare it to the killer deal of $125/bottle in the UK.

The UK price was in bond, so you need to add 20% for VAT and a few £ for duty. Pretty close to $150 …

I called BS on that at a local branch of that store if we are thinking of the same place, but when I finally talked to the new wine manager (who knows his stuff), he confirmed it. I also noticed that nowhere else in Austin has ordered the wine recently. So it would appear DP is ready to jack the price up on this quite a bit, or possibly we were going through pre-tariff tranches up until recently.

On DP in general, now that the P2 and P3 programs are in place, I have noticed that there really are not late releases of recent vintages anymore. When I started collecting wine in the mid-90s, you could still at the holidays get the 82 DP and DPR at a bit more than the 88 price on late release. The same with 90 DP- they stopped issuing it about a year before Y2K, put a bunch of 92 on the market for that demand spike, and then back came 90 DP again at about the same price for another year or two.

Those days are gone, and so my new rule of thumb is buy big and buy early if you really want a new Dom vintage because future releases are going to be in a P2 or P3 bottle at a substantial price increase. I have no idea if it is marketing-driven holding back, or just a broader demand more quickly consuming those first tranches at historical rates of production, but anyone in the US who wants 2008 Dom and can still find it for $150 all-in (and well stored), grab it up while you can IMHO.

You don’t pay VAT if you ship it out of the EU.

There’s no tariffs on champagne

Good catch- I keep forgetting that. That must mean a steep price increase from DP or somewhere along the line.

Curious for folks who bring in from UK, what is your per bottle cost door to door (and is that for your own bulk shipment or with a larger service)?

HEB has raised the shelf price to over $200 in the North Texas market save one store that still has six bottles @ $149

I’m happy I stocked up big early on. I think I’m around 125-130/btl all in for the wine I have (~15 cases or so). Some restaurants closed it out for their cost or less in the past couple months.

15 cases of Dom P? Nicely played. [worship.gif]

Entirely depends on quantity. If you’re bringing in dozens of cases a year your per bottle price is significantly lower. Unless you’re looking at huge discount a la Ramonet GCs it doesn’t make sense at a small scale.