Ferrière and Bel Air Marquis d'Aligre 2000

Two of my favourite Margaux 2000s which I had wanted to try together for some time, since I suspected they were similar in taste. Both decanted four hours before tasting, using two of the same Spiegelau glass (called something like Vino Grande I think).

Ferrière 2000

Raspberry, wild strawberry and vanilla aromas, before an attack of wild strawberry and red cherry, then the usual searing middle section of creamy blackberry and a long persistent finish featuring all three flavours with a dash of raspberry on top. Elegant, refined, perfect.

Bel Air Marquis d’Aligre 2000

Similar aromas to the Ferrière, similar attack too, with much the same flavours, but coming from another angle - less rich, less sweetness to the fruit, somehow purer, and the middle section doesn’t have the creaminess of the Ferrière, it has more raspberry, less blackberry, slightly more subtlety and the finish is dustier, although just as persistent. Over time, touches of redcurrant appeared mid-palate. Like the Ferrière it’s elegant, refined and perfect.

Probably my most enjoyable tasting of the year so far, these wines were both equally stunning. I love Margaux 2000s and these are the most effortlessly refined I’ve had to date. Ferrière has been drinking well since 2012 and hasn’t really changed much, just losing a little vibrancy in the attack but gaining a little complexity on the finish. BAMA has changed since I last tried it in 2018, losing the cassis and gaining in wild strawberry.

Neither wine showed any signs of fatigue. I couldn’t choose between them - the BAMA brought out the richer notes in the Ferrière whereas the latter showcased the purity of the BAMA. I was right in thinking they would taste similar, but wrong in thinking they were actually alike, because they are clearly different. The taste profile of the BAMA was quite close to that of Clos de Jaugueyron, which is probably not a coincidence - I suspect M.Boyer was a sort of Godfather to the new breed of organic Margaux producers - so inevitably in view of the cross-pollination it also reminded me of newer Loire reds - there is a definite similarity to wines like Roches-Neuves.

Anyway, both these wines are highly recommended.

Thanks so much for these reference points, Julian. I have a lot of the d’Aligre, but for the life of me, I don’t know how Ferriere fell off my radar. You really don’t see them much, so I need to actively seek them. If I recall correctly, it’s the smallest of the Classified Growths. I had a 3L of the 1995 about 5 years ago that I cracked open on a guy’s cycling trip up in our mountain place. There were 8 of us and it was perfect, along with some other fun stuff, of course!

Interesting, I see more of a comparison between Raffault Les Picasse to d’Aligre, not Roches-Neuves. The former two are pure old school, Roches-Neuves is reverential to classic Loire CF but not old school, if that makes any sense.

Edit: Just checked, I can get the 2018 futures for $44 but not a whole lot else out there.

Cheers Robert, yes the Ferrière is the sort of wine you would like, I think. Sadly it’s hard to come across. I got a case of the 00 EP, on a whim, one I have never regretted. In fact the 2010 was the last wine I bought EP, at precisely the same price as the 00 - 29€. The 00 can be found here, but for 80€, which is a bit steep. One bottle did come up for auction recently but I missed it - it was the first time in ten years, I think!

I think you’re right about the similarity between BAMA and Les Picasses - you know the latter better than me - it was the context of the purity of the fruit I was looking for, something so typical of Loire reds. I wouldn’t have got that reference two years ago.

Just bought three of the '16 Ferrière thanks to this thread. Sounds like something I’d like and for the vintage and the sub-$50 price, worth checking out.

Thanks!

I’ve had about a dozen vintages of Ferrière over the past years and have really enjoyed each bottle. At least since the late nineties, the wines from Château Ferrière offer everything I expect from a Third Growth. Even the 2007 is an outstanding wine, but the 2005 is the most elegant and sophisticated Ferrière I’ve had so far. The 2000 is great too. Thanks for the formidable notes, Julian!

Dave - hope it turns out to be a good buy!

Rudi - I’m impressed that you have cornered so many! I’ll look forward to trying a 2005 even more now, thanks!

That’s mainly because my favourite wine shop here in our region has been offering Ferrière at favourable prices for more than three decades - between about €30-40 per bottle. BTW, from my experience, Ferrière is always an elegantly fruited, excellently balanced, very charming, and early accessible wine and therefore optimally suited for both novices and experienced Margaux drinkers.

Robert, I think you would like Ferriere. I don’t have that much experience with the wines (I hardly ever see them anywhere) but I visited the winery in 2014 when I was in Bordeaux (at the advice of my driver/tour guide) and like what I tasted. I bought some 2005s while there and they have been very nice. Elegant, not hit one over the head type wines. I have one bottle left. I think this would be your style of Bordeaux.

Cool combo. BAMA is mentioned a lot these days in the conversation about honest Bordeaux, Ferriere not so much but it should be!

BAMA 2000 is splendid … and much more than an honest Bordeaux (“c’est un vilain petit canard du vignoble”, without oak, and a great “vin de garde”).

In the mood of those gems I had : BAMA 1961, BAMA 1947.

I cellared many BAMA 2000 (35 euros only, as a real bargain).

Note : unfortunatly, soon forever gone … (Jean-Pierre Boyer is old)

Having grown up in Georgia, my number one issue with BAMA has to be the name BAMA. Anything that is red with the name BAMA has to be evil.

Don’t h8, Howard, there is nothing else like being in the middle of this scrum, and always winning!

33F9E17A-B15E-469E-A0DD-1A64A17F8F45.jpeg
The noise is deafening. The stadium is bouncing. The energy is palpable. It’s like being at a rave drunk on a magnum of something concocted by Krankl and Cambie! Maybe with a couple of Mollies in you as well.

I don’t know about all that. I just know that G-D made the sky Carolina Blue, not some ugly shade of red.

This is but one of the reasons I keep pushing “BAMdA” as the preferred shorthand. If it won’t be universally adopted, at least it’s an alternative for those out there with a Tide allergy.

[dance-clap.gif] [thankyou.gif]

So Julian, I bought the 2000 Ferriere based on this thread. Always had a sweet spot for this classic Bordeaux. And you know I love the 2000 BAMA. Your note on this Ferriere is spot on, though mine is showing some more sweet tobacco and sweaty saddle leather notes. I prefer the more structured profile of the 1995, but the appeal of this ripe but classic Margaux is evident. Really strong showing, and wide open for business. (92 pts.)

I bought a six pack of the 2016. Need to pop one for posterity.

1 Like

Glad you liked it, Robert - I had a feeling you would! I just picked up some Magdelaine 2000 following your recent rec. I’ll try one over Christmas.

Not sure if this is universally true, but the Total Wines in my region have always been well stocked with Ferriere current releases. Perhaps there is a direct import relationship. In any case for US persons looking for it, that might be an unlikely channel to check

This is perfectly logical, at least. Compared to the "BAdeMA"s I’ve seen here and there.

I guess BA-MA would also be a good alternative.

Bumping, since I opened a 2000 Ferriere on Father’s Day. I got a few from JJ Buckley recently, and this first one was in great shape. I didn’t take any notes, but I agree with notes listed by others… lovely perfumed spices, plenty of red fruits considering 20+ years of age, lengthy finish… similar bottles have years of enjoyment left (contrary to many notes on CT, some of which declared this EOL in 2016!). Very enjoyable now, but lots of room for the tertiary notes to encroach on an already enjoyable experience.

1 Like