Baltimore Area Wine Stores

I am going to be spending time north of the city in Harford county for most of the summer. Are there any good stores that can be recommended between here and Baltimore city?

Thanks

WineSource in the Hampden part of town is outstanding. Also a very cool area to walk around assuming things will be open. A cool real Baltimore neighborhood at least to me. Arty, a little gritty, and very cool. Good cheese selection there as well.

We used to go to Wells Discount in Towson. They used to carry a nice Bordeaux selection. Haven’t been there in ages so I don’t know if it still does. Closer to the D.C. stores now.

1 Like

Wine source is cool. Pine Orchard in Ellicott City has better prices but their selection is limited. I need to revisit Wine Source. Mmm maybe today…

The Wine Source is an excellent store. They have a deli and beer bar. The California section is very good with many labels you don’t normally see.

1 Like

Wine Source absolutely.

Think the selection at Wells has really dropped off in past 5-10 years.

Wine Source absolutely.

Think the selection at Wells has really dropped off in past 5-10 years.

Wine Source!

Wells is a shadow of what it once was.

Depending on where you’ll be and the direction you’re headed, Stateline Liquors in Elkton…looks like a cheesy beer outlet (and it half is) but the wine selection is pretty legit. Not on the level of a “Wine Source” but it’s a respectable option if it’s on your route. A good craft beer lineup too. Been in business a long time.

RT

Went to wine source, left disappointed again. Limited cabernet selection, high prices. Pine orchard is out of the way, but actually better selection and prices are 20% to 30 % lower than wine source.

This. Good store, decent selection, good staff, cool neighborhood. Prices ok but not great. None of the places mentioned have great prices compared to what you’ll find in major markets like DC, NY, LA, SF, or Wine Searcher.

I’m not aware of any stores in Hunt Valley. Used to be a place called Calvert Discount Liquors (no connection to Calvert-Woolley in DC) that was excellent but it closed years ago.

Chesapeake Wine Co. in Canton and Bin 604 in Harbor East are good stores near the harbor. Harbor East is also nice to walk around but it’s not a classic B’more neighborhood like Hampden. Chesapeake has a deli and small plates option but not sure what the dine-in situation will be.

On the northern end of B’more closer to Hunt Valley there is The Wine Merchant in Lutherville-Timonium with a decent selection where I’ve occasionally picked up good deals. There’s also a Total Wine just off the beltway in Towson - typical Total Wine.

Pine Orchard in Ellicott City, which Lonnie mentioned (and Jason’s, which is a prettier store but higher priced) have good selections but a 25-30 mile drive from you. The others above are closer and likely have as much or more selection.

State Line in Elkton has a good selection but is likely to be a 50+ mile drive.

I guess it depends on what you’re looking for. I’ve been to Pine Orchard but never felt compelled to buy there. Nothing there i found interesting, even on their “dollar days” sales. I usually buy Rhones at Wine Source, either French or California. Their California selections of Rhones is pretty good.

It’s not a Cabernet-lovers shop. I used to always go there for Germany, Alsace and Champagne!

1 Like

Pine Orchard often has better prices than you will find in DC, although less selection. Here’s today’s haul from Pine Orchard.

I was following the recent $75 Cab thread

2017 Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon Signature Napa Valley $58.00
2014 Robert Craig Cabernet Sauvignon Affinity Napa Valley $50.00
2016 Frank Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley $40.00
2016 Frog’s Leap Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Grown Rutherford $50.00 x 2
2015 Heitz Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley $45.00
2017 Mount Veeder Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley $30.00
2016 Pine Ridge Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley $40.00
2017 Pride Mountain Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Napa / Sonoma $62.00
2014 Ramey Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley $49.00
2015 Ramey Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley $49.00
2016 Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Santa Cruz Mountains $53.00

I been all over the Baltimore area looking and I can’t beat her prices.

Lonnie

Thanks, all. Went to Wine Source today. Great selection for me because I am drinking White Burgundy, N Rhone and Barolo these days. Couldn’t miss there.

Cool. Always good to find what you’re looking for.

Replying to bump this thread.

Pine Orchard prices can’t be beat. French Paradox in Pikesville has become my go-to, though. The knowledge of the owners, the selection, the prices, and the customer service are second to none. Great place to scoop Burgundy and wines from Piedmont in particular.