TN: Seems like a lifetime ago

It’s only been 10 weeks since the Bay Area shut down for Covid, but looking back on our last excursion anywhere, seems like a long time ago. Fortunately, it was a nice little anniversary trip, with several outstanding meals and wines.

Our first two nights were at Carmel Highlands Inn, dinner at their restaurant, which might have a view as amazing as anywhere on earth

2010 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru (3/11/2020)
As with many 2010 Hudelot wines, this was a leaker I found while rummaging through my storage locker. Second one out of three, argh. So time to open it, and might as well be a nice occasion - anniversary trip to Carmel, and a particularly meaningful one, as it’s the last place we’ll go before Covid shutdown the following week.

Good color, even though cork is stained up through the capsule, no apparent signs of oxidation or advanced development. Beautiful deeply flavored medium cherry, just a hint of spice, perfectly balanced, very youthful, and flat out delicious now. In retrospect, probably didn’t need to open it, but also didn’t regret it. (94 pts.)

Breakfast the next morning on the terrace wasn’t a bad way to start the day

Our second day we decided to do something a little different. Normally, we would have cruised down to Big Sur to Nepenthe. But instead we splurged on lunch. The Post Ranch Inn is one of the most exclusive resorts on the west coast, I would guess (when a bridge on Highway 1 was washed out a couple of winters ago, making it the Post Ranch Innaccessible, they helicoptered guests in and out). Above my pay grade to stay at, for sure, and even dinner there is pretty extravagant, beside the fact that driving back from Big Sur in the dark after a bottle of wine isn’t recommended. But lunch is manageable, and proved to be fantastic.

Post Ranch is nestled high on the edge of the Big Sur coast. Looking back to the eastern mountains:

2010 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis - France, Burgundy, Chablis (3/12/2020)
Plucked off the list for lunch at the Post Ranch Inn at a pretty fair price, actually a steal for the quality of the wine. Sitting high on the cliffs, overlooking the Pacific.

Fabulous fresh sea nose, clean tide pool, is it really the wine, or the ocean below? Lovely medium intensity, strong mineral/sea notes, saline umami, nice complexity, great steely/mineral acidity, still quite youthful and probably getting even better with age, punches way over Appellation Chablis. Perhaps enhanced by the fantastic lunch and amazing environment, but just fantastic. (93 pts.)

We retired to the terrace to finish the wine, and enjoy dessert

Days 3 and 4 in next post, since I’ve reached the max number of attachments

Spectacular pictures and great memories Alan - here’s hoping that you can all of us can begin experiencing these soon!

Wonderful report, Alan. Ah, normalcy. Something to obviously not take for granted!

Day 3, we moved from Carmel Highlands to Pacific Grove, by way of 17 Mile Drive, and a nice lunch at Pebble Beach Lodge. The “Drive” is of course one of the most scenic on the west coast, and not to be missed, particularly when people are starting to panic shop before a shutdown, and few are out on the road. For those who haven’t been, Pebble Beach is a ritzy area, but one can just walk into the lodge and have a wonderful lunch, with another spectacular view

View of #18 from our window table

Our lodging in Pacific Grove this time was Gosby House, a quaint old Victorian B&B

And of course dinner that night was at (drumroll) Passionfish

2013 Clos Rougeard (Foucault) Saumur-Champigny - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur-Champigny (3/13/2020)
I knew Passionfish had this in their cellar, was just waiting for them to put it on their active list. Got lucky, and it was there for our anniversary visit to Pacific Grove, and maybe our last outing of 2020, just before the Covid shutdown.

Medium dark garnet color, earthy nose with a pleasant slight green herbal note; the palate starts with tasty darker fruit, nice medium intensity, very good acidity, then a lovely tangy slight saline soy note, there’s a bit of green here but it just blends in with the other interesting complexities; all kinds of savory, green peppercorns weaving through the somewhat reserved dark fruit. Quite delicious, complex, fascinating wine. I loved the 12 last year, this is at least as good, maybe even more interesting. Off vintages baby! (93 pts.)

And another Passionfish dinner the next evening

2011 Clos Rougeard (Foucault) Saumur Blanc Brézé - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur (3/14/2020)
Off the Passionfish list, drank the 13 Saumur rouge the night before, this is our last dinner before heading home from anniversary trip, anticipating the Covid shutdown. The Breze is even more unusual to find, so not much question of drinking this tonight.

Lovely nose, mineral waxy lanolin fruit, elegant refined palate, medium intensity, waxy, mineral, some lightly savory notes, very refined and elegantly complex, nice hints of saline umami creep in on finish. Not the intensity of, say, 2010, but so elegant and beautiful. (93 pts.)

And a parting shot, just to brighten your day

did this all just happen? These places are open? Wife and I were just talking about Carmel. Exciting.

It’s in the fine print. These are from just before Shelter in Place.

It’s a test to see if anyone actually reads tasting notes, or just looks at the pretty pictures [wow.gif]

Did the nice lady you’re stalking in your pics call security on you? neener

Great trip!

Social distancing, I was at another table.

Dutch treat, then. Piker.

Wish it was Alan. Carmel, Big Sur, Pebble Beach … closed at the moment. Hopefully safely open soon.

Nice notes! Sounds like the 2nd leaker was exactly like the 1st, which I hope this convinces you to leave the 3rd alone :slight_smile:

One of these days I have got to make it down to Pebble Beach again…

Oh MAN Alan…I could cut and paste your post and just put my name on it…just about exactly(even the Rougeard) what we do at least once, if not twice a year! We did miss our window to go early this year, and have been itching to get down there…but the Covid! [cry.gif]

Thanks for making it worse! [wink.gif]

[cheers.gif]

Thanks for post. I have done similar versions of that trip a few times over the last 25 years. Some of my favorites ever. Sunset from the Carmel Highlands Inn dining room is stunning.

My Lordy!!!

I would replicate that trip from top to bottom, accommodations, food and wines! Really excellent, Alan. And thanks for the pictorial. This was a most wonderful read.

Thanks for sharing these Alan. The weekend before the SiP I was at La Paulee, enjoying an indulgent week in NY. The highlight was a wonderful dinner at Anton’s with my brother and great friends. A 2002 Patrice Rion VR Suchots was absolutely singing and a lovely counterpoint to the 1986 Pichon Lalande - and both went so well with the fabulous roast chicken and better company. Seems like a lifetime ago. But the world will return to normalcy one day.

You might be able to charge your Tesla there too!

Nice Alan
Thanks for reminding us better days are ahead. champagne.gif

Great report Alan.

Is that your ‘cheese and kisses’ sitting by herself in the first pic? She looks a bit concerned about the bloke taking her photo!

As I mentioned, she’s a random lady that was very tired of Alan stalking her from place to place… [smileyvault-ban.gif]