2016 SEMILLON - Boekenhoutskloof Vineyards - Franschhoek, South Africa

2016 SEMILLON - Boekenhoutskloof Vineyards - Franschhoek, South Africa

Semillon is one of my favorite white grapes, and I was always curious about this wine and finally got the chance to taste it. Wow, from very old vines, this is absolutely stunning. Wax and lemon grass on the nose, medium bodied with a subtle richness that just seemed to grow as the wine sat in the glass. Fig and citrus notes accentuate the creamy palate with terrific length. I was just blown away - we had it with Tom Kha Gai Soup - the perfect pairing.

FROM THE WINERY -
“The Boekenhoutskloof Semillon has been predominantly sourced from one of the oldest vineyards in South Africa, planted in 1902 on alluvial soils with a high loam content. Grapes are further sourced from two other low yielding parcels also grown within the Franschhoek Valley and planted in 1936 and 1942 on original rootstock and traditional bush vines.”

Thanks for posting, Thomas. I always like semillon notes.

Thanks for the note, another one for me to look out for.

Some pretty good whites coming out of cooler parts of South Africa. Some really good Chenins eg Alheit, Mullineux to name but two. And Alheit’s Cartology is Chenin Semillon blend is killer. These are not expensive wines. A Loire v SA ‘Cheninigins’ taste off would be pretty interesting I think if we ever get back to live tastings.

I do love the Chenin Blanc from South Africa - my favorite is the NABYGELEGEN Lady Anna Chenin Blanc - a bit pricey at $20 - but really superb. This Semillon is quite expensive as well ($35-$45 a bottle), but I saw it on a local importer’s closeout list for cheap so I grabbed a 6pk of it.