Cardboard Tubes for Storage

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
J. Rock

Cardboard Tubes for Storage

#1 Post by J. Rock » May 22nd, 2020, 3:03 pm

I've searched past threads a lot and seen people discuss storing wine in cardboard (or PVC) tubes to some extent, but I haven't really seen any consensus on what tube dimensions work best. I am thinking of using tubes in my offsite lockers so I can access my bottles more easily, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to best maximize my space while still being flexible enough to accommodate all/most of the various bottles I'll likely get. For instance, I don't want all of my tubes to be able to fit standard/large bottles when 20% or so of my collection is half bottles. I also don't want have no where to put those fat Champagne bottles. etc.

Does anyone use different diameter tubes for different sized bottles (e.g., half-bottles, standard, and mags)? If so, what size do you use or think is appropriate.

Also, has any one had success with tubes thinner than that .160" that I've seen mentioned on another thread? If so, what thickness are your tubes and how high are they stacked?
J o r d a n

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Cardboard Tubes for Storage

#2 Post by David K o l i n » May 22nd, 2020, 6:21 pm

I use two deep cardboard tubes at one of my offsite lockers, but I don’t recall the diameters. I only use one size that are broad enough for Krug 750s. I use this locker for 1-3 bottle lots. Love the access, but there is a lot of utilized space if space is critical

I’ll take some Measurements on my next visit.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » May 22nd, 2020, 7:37 pm

4 x 20 fits 2 bottles of essentially any 750

dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by dsimmons » May 23rd, 2020, 10:29 am

I have some racking made of 4" ABS pipe cut to ~12". Works great for most bottles.
D o n

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by David Glasser » May 24th, 2020, 7:44 pm

These 4” x 20” tubes handle 750s two deep including (snugly, but not tight) the faster Krug and Taittinger Comtes bottle:

These 3” x 20” tubes fit 375s two deep:

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Randy Bowman » May 24th, 2020, 7:58 pm

If you live in earthquake areas, both cardboard and PVC are good choices. A 10 degree tilt keeps the bottles in the racks up to a 6.0 shaker. From experience, laid flat, neither will keep bottles from flying at 6.0, but the launch is dead straight up to three feet.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Joe G a l e w s k i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Joe G a l e w s k i » May 25th, 2020, 5:57 am

When I had some cardboard tubes made, I used 3.505" inner diameter x 0.160" thickness. 3.5" can handle 80% of the bottles I own. 3.5" is too narrow for some of the very large pinot noir, chardonnay, rhones, and it almost never fits a champagne bottle. Champagne is a pain from a storage perspective.

I was filling a small space, and 4" PVC would store 51 bottles, vs 72 bottles using 3.5" cardboard, so your concern about using different sized tubes is valid.

Return to “Wine Talk”