Walter Scott Wolfpack

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

Walter Scott Wolfpack

#1 Post by Robert M yers » May 21st, 2020, 6:43 pm

I thought I was out of the wine club game, but I’m tempted. I’m wondering if these are all unique bottles or just a spaced out monthly release of most of the current line up? I read the reference to small lots but it doesn’t say how many. Summer shipping always has me worried as well, do t know how you can pull it off without overnight and that’s just cost prohibitive?

Who’s pulled the trigger or has any thoughts?

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Re: Walter Scott Wolfpack

#2 Post by Todd F r e n c h » May 21st, 2020, 7:13 pm

I also am tempted...
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

ChrisJames

#3 Post by ChrisJames » May 21st, 2020, 7:19 pm

If you go to their website, it looks like the have mostly gone all in on the Wolfpack idea. Almost all of the top wines are now accessible only with Wolfpack member login. I love WS wines, but now they seem to come with a $1380/year club commitment. I assume this is an effort to have steady monthly cash flow. But I find the monthly shipping idea curious. It seems a very expensive way for them to distribute wines.

Dav1d S@wyer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Dav1d S@wyer » May 21st, 2020, 8:00 pm

I'm planning on it. Since I live in Houston, I emailed Erica about the monthly shipping. She said they were adding a quarterly shipping option and meant to include it in the original announcement. Quarterly shipments in warmer months will also be temp controlled.
IG: davidswine

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Kris Patten » May 21st, 2020, 8:15 pm

It's a shrewd move as I am sure they are heavy DTC and on-premise and there is a huge risk in the hedge on-premise comes back this year.

Good for them offering wines to consumers that may have been allocated for restaurants prior vs. holding them.
ITB

Justin S

#6 Post by Justin S » May 21st, 2020, 8:15 pm

Tempted as well, but I think two cases a year might be too much. Our cellar is around 350 bottles with no plans to go much above that. We consume around 60-70 bottles a year, so that kind of commitment would make it hard to enjoy the rest of the wine world. 6-12 bottles is more reasonable.
$ ! n g h

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#7 Post by c fu » May 21st, 2020, 9:38 pm

We will definitely talk about this on the zoom event on the 30th!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Vince L.

#8 Post by Vince L. » May 21st, 2020, 9:46 pm

Man I wanted to try some of these during Quarantine Relief but I'm overflowing with wine at the moment.

:(
l e r t

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Kris Patten » May 21st, 2020, 9:48 pm

Vince L. wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 9:46 pm
Man I wanted to try some of these during Quarantine Relief but I'm overflowing with wine at the moment.

:(
Do it. You are actually missing out.
ITB

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Jeff_M. » May 21st, 2020, 11:49 pm

I’m new to Walter Scott but I’m pretty firm about not doing wine clubs. I like being a free agent and buying what I want. This is a hard pass for me. I’ll buy what’s left open if it still makes sense.
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache

Andrew M

#11 Post by Andrew M » May 22nd, 2020, 4:58 am

I’m sure they have great and valid reasons for doing it this way but I’m very disappointed by it. I’ve never tried the wine, but based on reviews here I ordered a mixed half case of two chardonnays that’s in the mail and was almost certainly going back for more after trying the first bottle or two. I’m just not interested in committing to two cases per year. Cult wines aside, it’s nice being able to buy what you want when you want. Maybe this is an easier sell for folks who’ve tasted more of the lineup. Oh well - onto the next one...
M @ k $ ! m ø v ! ç

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » May 22nd, 2020, 5:20 am

Yeah I e-mailed them about the monthly shipping as well and whether there would be a different option to consolidate shipment into quarterly or semi-annual shipments, thinking it may knock the price down. That's a lot of shipping expenses to be doing monthly. Doesn't appear that the quarterly option changes the price of club membership, but now all wine re-purchases are 15% off across the board.
CT: InZinity

2020 contenders for WOTY:
2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Durant Vineyard Chardonnay
2015 Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut Les Grands Crayeres
2001 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese
2015 Josef Walter Hundsruck Spätburgunder "J"

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 22nd, 2020, 5:40 am

I eschew wine clubs and memberships, and even with this Chard that appears to be the “in” wine right now, seems like an aggressive move in a terrible economy. That’s a big commitment for what is really a rather ubiquitous grape. I note that the X-Novo is still readily available in retail outlets, check Wine Searcher. It has always been atypical to me that you cannot find these “hot” wines in the after-market. Perhaps you pay a little more, but you only buy what you want.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Robert M yers » May 22nd, 2020, 5:48 am

After sleeping on it a night I think it’s a pass for me. I have no problem with it If they think they have the support to pull it off though, Rally around your hardest core of fans and give them access first.

I’ve decided I’m just not That interested in the Pinot To get auto shipments of two bottles of each, just to get access to the Chardonnay. Also even with quarterly shipping there’s still a July shipment. (and good point that it would seem the price should be slightly cheaper?)

They were really becoming a board darling so It will be interesting to see how this may affect perceptions and access to their wine. If folks who join the club don’t immediately reorder tons of wine, I’d think/hope most of the regular stuff will then Become available For the general public.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Kris Patten » May 22nd, 2020, 5:54 am

Robert,

While Charlie and Buzz fight to be the Christopher Columbus of Walter Scott Chardonnays, sorry guys they were already discovered in the NW, the Pinot Noirs have always been great and continue to be, while the last 4 years the Chardonnay has taken some of the attention away from them, but not for any reason other than great Chard is hard to find in America at a great price while Pinot is a bit easier.

Even if you don't join, suggest you support them, regardless, wines and team are first class.
ITB

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Robert M yers » May 22nd, 2020, 6:07 am

Yes, again I have no problem with the model if it works for them. I’m assuming it’s not going to sell out Most of the wine for those that want some after the club gets their pick.

I did a search the other day on the site (It worked :)) and there were several folks espousing the virtues as early as 2011, but mainly it seems in 2013 support and praise picked up by a few followers of the winery. So yes the knowledge has been out there for those listening close enough. Personally, I just wasn’t drinking good domestic Chardonnay then and still don’t consume much domestic Pinot.
Last edited by Robert M yers on May 22nd, 2020, 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by James Lyon » May 22nd, 2020, 6:25 am

Yeah, I received the Wolfpack email yesterday afternoon as well. It appears that the Wolfpack will be a topic of conversation during next Saturday's Zoom Event with Walter Scott and I'm sure that Erica, Ken or Andy will address any questions in this thread. Full disclosure, I've been a supporter and yearly visitor to Walter Scott since 2014, so 3 or 4 BC (Fu), and joining the Wolfpack will be a difficult decision for me. As much as I would like to join the club with Erica, Ken, Lucy, Andy, Sue, Jess, and the guys from the Hangover, I'm not sure that I want to join another Oregon wine club. I'm already a club member or mailing list subscriber at 10-20 Oregon wineries and I'm trying to trim the club list right now. I will say that I really like the way that PGC, Crowley, Goodfellow (?) and I'm sure many others handle their clubs with personal choice customization. I like picking my choice of 6-12 bottles twice a year.

Anyway, Ken and Erica are really good peeps and they make excellent wines across the board. These are challenging times for everyone and I'm sure that they will figure out the best way to administer the club. Regardless, I look forward to supporting Walter Scott for many years as a Wolfpacker or not.

James

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#18 Post by Richard T r i m p i » May 22nd, 2020, 10:06 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 5:40 am
I eschew wine clubs and memberships, and even with this Chard that appears to be the “in” wine right now, seems like an aggressive move in a terrible economy. That’s a big commitment for what is really a rather ubiquitous grape. I note that the X-Novo is still readily available in retail outlets, check Wine Searcher. It has always been atypical to me that you cannot find these “hot” wines in the after-market. Perhaps you pay a little more, but you only buy what you want.
Agreed.....as much as I support OR wineries and feel very positively about Walter Scott. There's a great big wine world out there and thousands of high quality options that can be purchased without being in a club or maintaining a list commitment. I haven't been a "club member" for many years and unlikely to change soon.

RT

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Joshua Kates » May 22nd, 2020, 1:32 pm

I also don't like wine clubs, while also being extremely fond of their (white) wines. I also have to say, I find the whole "wolfpack" thing kind of juvenile. It's a wine club, why not just call it one?
Mark Twain, when asked whether he believed in child baptism, replied: "Believe in it? I've seen it!"

mmeyers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by mmeyers » May 22nd, 2020, 2:08 pm

Challenging for me as well. Have enjoyed the entire lineup and usually end up with a mixed case or so each year + it's easy/fun to support good people doing good things. Totally understand and support the rationale in shifting models and hope it makes things more predictable/sustainable for the business. Just not sure a 2 case/year commitment is right for me.
Mike

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Sean_S » May 22nd, 2020, 2:44 pm

I did not realize that they were removing many of the bottlings from general access. I logged in to check and many bottlings are now Wolfpack Only. This is disappointing to me. I buy 3+ cases of WS a year and want to pick what it is that I buy, Although I do buy a pretty broad selection. This is turn off to commit to $1300 a year for the right to access all the bottlings. I guess I will be buying a lot less wine from Walter Scott and buying what I can find from other retailers who carry it. I'm disappointed by this change in direction.

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

Jeff Rosenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Jeff Rosenberg » May 22nd, 2020, 2:46 pm

I have actually purchased two mixed cases each of the last two years. However, I prefer to choose the wines. This might dissuade further patronage.

ScottL

#23 Post by ScottL » May 22nd, 2020, 3:19 pm

Concur with what others have said, huge fan of these wines, would probably commit to buying at least a couple cases a year but that includes me being able to pick my own wines. Seem like good folks and appreciate trying to do something different but from my side it's a little disappointing because I don't think I can commit that kind of money and give up the choice of what bottles I'm receiving.
Last edited by ScottL on May 22nd, 2020, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L e e d y

R M Kriete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by R M Kriete » May 22nd, 2020, 3:24 pm

Based on this thread, WS May want to rethink this plan. Much easier to retain satisfied customers than to turn them off and have to find new ones.

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Richard T r i m p i » May 22nd, 2020, 3:49 pm

R M Kriete wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 3:24 pm
Based on this thread, WS May want to rethink this plan. Much easier to retain satisfied customers than to turn them off and have to find new ones.
Maybe. Walter Scott has a loyal following. It might not include the small minority of consumers geeky enough to regularly participate here. I totally get the attraction of direct sales to a committed customer base generating a reliable/predictable revenue stream. Walter Scott is popular enough that it'll probably work out.

RT

Scott E.

#26 Post by Scott E. » May 22nd, 2020, 4:15 pm

In the past two weeks I bought a mixed 6-pack to see what the fuss is all about. I wonder if I was only seeing a few of their wines? I detest wine clubs that give you no choices and have a minimum of more than one case per year. We popped the cork on their entry level chard and pinot and thought they were pretty good. Laid down the other SV chards and pinots for a few years, so I guess they will be one-off trys down the road. Cheers!
$.E$te$

Erica Landon

#27 Post by Erica Landon » May 22nd, 2020, 6:10 pm

Thank you all for your candid posts on our new membership program, the Wolfpack. The response has been amazing, and we are humbled by the number of signups in the first 24 hours. We recognize that it is a significant commitment. It’s been incredible to have so many join us.

I’m writing to share our thinking as well as assure you that our wines will remain available beyond the Wolfpack. We are seeking to welcome more people who prefer to buy in a membership format. We don’t want to alienate or turn away those who don’t.

Over recent years, many winery visitors have asked about a membership/club. For years we resisted, preferring to have an informal, personal connection with everyone on our mailing list. As the winery slowly grew, so did the mailing list and so did the requests for a membership program.

Growth brought challenges.

Up until now we have done two annual releases, our Willamette Valley bottlings in September and our Vineyard Designates in March. The March release has grown to include as many as a dozen wines; too many to give the story behind each the attention it deserved.

Some of our vineyard designates are produced in small volumes and sell out on release. As our mailing list grew, this became more and more frequent. It’s a good problem to have but it also created a problem for some of our longest standing customers; if they weren’t “quick enough on the draw” they could miss out on a vintage of their favorite bottling. We needed a way to ensure that their loyalty and support were rewarded. Ken has other small production bottlings in the works, each presenting the same allocation challenge.

These challenges got us thinking about changes to our release schedule and creating a membership program. We have been working on this for months, researching what others are doing and brainstorming new ideas. We studied the way the world of shifting purchasing habits, the way different generations buy and how online memberships and retailers are changing the way we spend money in the wine industry and beyond. This led to the change to a quarterly release schedule and the creation of the Wolfpack.

While it surely won’t resonate with everyone, the concept of the Wolfpack is sincere to us. It is a more substantial commitment than an ordinary “wine club” and is intended to be a true, honest connection.

Memberships/clubs do not work for everyone and we are acutely aware of that. Some of you have been big, long term supporters of Walter Scott. Others are “new friends” recently acquainted with our wines. We are incredibly thankful for your support and will ensure you have access to our wines. We are not turning our backs on anyone.

We’ll be participating in a Zoom Event organized by Charlie Fu on Saturday May 30. We hope you’ll join us. While we’d rather talk about vineyards, winemaking and the resulting wines we’re happy to talk about the Wolfpack, our thinking behind it and the business of wine too.
Erica Landon
Founding Partner
Walter Scott Wines

Geoff F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Geoff F. » May 22nd, 2020, 6:33 pm

I was pretty hyped by this and immediately signed up to support them, but I don't love how many of the wines have become "wolfpack only" now. I just convinced a friend to order a one-of-everything case and he wouldn't have been able to do that this week. I could see things like Rock Salt being club-only, but not all of the SVDs.

At least the X-Novo Chardonnay is still available, so not everything good is locked up.
F r a n z

Andy Steinman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Andy Steinman » May 22nd, 2020, 6:57 pm

Geoff F. wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 6:33 pm
I was pretty hyped by this and immediately signed up to support them, but I don't love how many of the wines have become "wolfpack only" now. I just convinced a friend to order a one-of-everything case and he wouldn't have been able to do that this week. I could see things like Rock Salt being club-only, but not all of the SVDs.

At least the X-Novo Chardonnay is still available, so not everything good is locked up.
All of the SVD's will not be "Wolfpack Only"!

They are off the Website now as we redesign our Release Schedule.

Going forward, each Quarter we will release 3 to 5 wines to the Wolfpack and then for website sales, so you will see more bottlings available soon.

We'd be happy to explain this in better detail and see what we can do to allay your concerns either one on one or via next Saturday's Zoom Event with Ken and Erica.
ITB: Partner, Walter Scott Wines, Le Pigeon, Canard, and DigitalPour; Managing Director Metis NW

Dav1d S@wyer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Dav1d S@wyer » May 22nd, 2020, 8:17 pm

I think the MRR structure makes perfect sense for a winery to adopt in this environment. The amount of people who already buy 2+ cases of WS a year has to be a decent number, and it smooths out the annual financial hit for these consumers while providing the winery more revenue predictability. That's great for everyone in these times of uncertainty.

I am generally not a fan of wine clubs (I was in zero until now) but I signed up. Ken and Erica are very deliberate and precise in their approach to winemaking and running a winery. I'm confident they'll make this well worth it.
IG: davidswine

EricE

#31 Post by EricE » May 22nd, 2020, 9:17 pm

I’m assuming this model would benefit the winery more than a traditional mailing allocation list?
Est3nson

JohnK

#32 Post by JohnK » May 22nd, 2020, 9:34 pm

It might make sense for more people if you could choose between reds-only, whites-only or mixed. I think that’s how Ramey does it.
John Kelly

Alan Gottlieb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Alan Gottlieb » May 23rd, 2020, 5:11 am

I have been a supporter for the past few years. I personally do not like the idea of a wine club if that is the only way to have access to the wines. If it works for them so be it

Perhaps a tiered approach where the "wolfpack" have 1st access then look at releasing to older customers who have ordered 1-2 cases a year for a period of time. Then what remains might go to the rest of the mailing list or on the web site.

Think of a way not to alienate your good customers who may not want to join a club and at the same time achieve your financial goals and stability (which of course is critical and not a "bad" thing)

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 23rd, 2020, 5:28 am

This is not a poke at Walter Scott, but the idea of buying 2 cases of wine every single year from a single winery baffles me. I drink a lot of wine (every night), and have a fair bit of wine stored, and I don’t think there is a single winery from anywhere in the world where I buy that much wine every single year. That adds up fast! Even my favorite wineries, like Sociando, Baudry, Lanessan, in some years I bought 1-2 cases but not all years. I bought no Sociando or Lanessan in 2011 or 2013, for example. Gonon was perhaps the only winery where I bought two cases year after year - a case of the St Joe and one of the Iles Feray - but then my allocation got cut to 6 and 6. Hard to do that with more than 1-2 wineries without getting swamped. I bet folks here are sitting on tons of Bedrock!

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Richard T r i m p i » May 23rd, 2020, 5:51 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 5:28 am
This is not a poke at Walter Scott, but the idea of buying 2 cases of wine every single year from a single winery baffles me.
Agree again. I've done it less than a handful of times in 30+ years of buying. Always in control of the specific bottlings and vintage. My better half and I consume a decent amount of wine....10 - 15 cases per year.

And again, if the shoe was on the other foot considering their liquid and loyal following...I'd be right on board with Walter Scott's approach.

RT

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Robert M yers » May 23rd, 2020, 6:31 am

And it’s going to be more than 2 cases because it’s buy two cases to then get access to buy your favorites. So if you buy the two cases plus one additional of your favorite wines you’ll need to drink a bottle every 10 days or so just to maintain. Seems like a lot to ask over a long period of time.

Erica Landon

#37 Post by Erica Landon » May 23rd, 2020, 6:45 am

Here are a few points to address all of this.

1. This has nothing to do with the Wolfpack. We needed to change our release schedule. We have been releasing 6 wines in the fall and close to 12 in the spring. We have huge cash hits 2 times a year and needed them spread out. We also wanted to allow people to focus on 5-6 each quarter rather then be overwhelmed by 12.

2. We have been asked to start a membership or club for years. They will not work for everyone on our mailing list. We don’t expect it to. That will not mean those that don’t join will not have access to our wines. We will always take care of people. We always have.

If any of you have questions, concerns, want to continue to purchase the wines in the format you have always purchased the wines in, please... email me. Call me. We are here, we are always going to take care of people as we have from the beginning.
Erica Landon
Founding Partner
Walter Scott Wines

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#38 Post by c fu » May 23rd, 2020, 9:25 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
This is not a poke at Walter Scott, but the idea of buying 2 cases of wine every single year from a single winery baffles me. I drink a lot of wine (every night), and have a fair bit of wine stored, and I don’t think there is a single winery from anywhere in the world where I buy that much wine every single year. That adds up fast! Even my favorite wineries, like Sociando, Baudry, Lanessan, in some years I bought 1-2 cases but not all years. I bought no Sociando or Lanessan in 2011 or 2013, for example. Gonon was perhaps the only winery where I bought two cases year after year - a case of the St Joe and one of the Iles Feray - but then my allocation got cut to 6 and 6. Hard to do that with more than 1-2 wineries without getting swamped. I bet folks here are sitting on tons of Bedrock!
That’s cause you buy from wineries that only release 1-3 wine labels a year. If you were buying burgundy , German riesling Or even certain champagne growers (cedric bouchard for example) you could easily be buying 2-3 cases a vintage due to all the wine released
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 23rd, 2020, 9:27 am

Not so, Fu.

I buy a lot of Baudry, Joguet, Breton, Plouzeau, etc. My only membership is Bedrock, but my Lordy, Morgan makes like 100 wines! I self-limit on Bedrock to like a case per year, which means I don’t always get access to some super-premium releases. I’ve always found those in the after-market or trades with friends.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#40 Post by c fu » May 23rd, 2020, 9:39 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 9:27 am
Not so, Fu.

I buy a lot of Baudry, Joguet, Breton, Plouzeau, etc. My only membership is Bedrock, but my Lordy, Morgan makes like 100 wines! I self-limit on Bedrock to like a case per year, which means I don’t always get access to some super-premium releases. I’ve always found those in the after-market or trades with friends.

Sorry I meant in demand wines that you actually want to buy up and down the line and that you can’t easily find at wine searcher at release pricing :p
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#41 Post by c fu » May 23rd, 2020, 9:40 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=170347

If anyone wants to join the zoom for Walter Scott next Saturday!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 23rd, 2020, 9:52 am

c fu wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 9:39 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 9:27 am
Not so, Fu.

Sorry I meant in demand wines that you actually want to buy up and down the line and that you can’t easily find at wine searcher at release pricing :p

Lol, good point!

Kenny H (circa 2015)

MikeHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by MikeHill » May 23rd, 2020, 10:41 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
+1 Bedrock is good juice and reasonably priced, but this is true for me. I usually "browse" my cellar using CT's Ready to Drink, Vintage or Variety function. Just recently I sorted by producer, and Bedrock had zoomed to #1. That's what happens when you try to buy one of everything they do each year! Note to self, be more selective...and drink more Bedrock.

mmeyers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by mmeyers » May 23rd, 2020, 11:00 am

Great to hear what sounds like a commitment to access for other customers as well and what appears to be a fairly limited number of club members in order to do so. As was mentioned, the posters in this thread (and prob the board as a whole) is a pretty small group of wine geeks who want to have a variety of experiences. I similarly can't recall having purchased more than a case or so per year from anyone routinely. But there's a much larger group out there who desires high quality wine and doesn't want to think about it. They don't care if they just drink one label. Not surprised to hear the feedback from WS team re: requests for membership and this will be perfect for that group who now doesn't have spend any time or effort and knows they'll get a consistent product. I know people who have one or two 'memberships' of that type (there's a whole bunch that fit the bill) and that's all they drink. Best wishes to the WS team. Will look forward to continuing to support them with what I have access to.
Mike

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Sean_S » May 23rd, 2020, 9:20 pm

Erica Landon wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 6:45 am

1. This has nothing to do with the Wolfpack. We needed to change our release schedule. We have been releasing 6 wines in the fall and close to 12 in the spring. We have huge cash hits 2 times a year and needed them spread out. We also wanted to allow people to focus on 5-6 each quarter rather then be overwhelmed by 12.

2. We have been asked to start a membership or club for years. They will not work for everyone on our mailing list. We don’t expect it to. That will not mean those that don’t join will not have access to our wines. We will always take care of people. We always have.

If any of you have questions, concerns, want to continue to purchase the wines in the format you have always purchased the wines in, please... email me. Call me. We are here, we are always going to take care of people as we have from the beginning.
Hi Erica and Andy

Thanks for the clarifications and the reassurances, my family loves your wines.

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

2020 WOTY Candidates
1994 Ravenswood Petite Sirah Sonoma County
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » May 24th, 2020, 5:43 am

MikeHill wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 10:41 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
+1 Bedrock is good juice and reasonably priced, but this is true for me. I usually "browse" my cellar using CT's Ready to Drink, Vintage or Variety function. Just recently I sorted by producer, and Bedrock had zoomed to #1. That's what happens when you try to buy one of everything they do each year! Note to self, be more selective...and drink more Bedrock.
Not a bad problem to have, that Bedrock! [cheers.gif]

Morgan makes exceptional wines, and while I tend to pop the Zins way too early, they clearly have legs for the longer haul. Some require it.

Looking forward to trying the Walter Scott Chards. Some friends rave about them and my local Berserker buddy Carnes just got a case before the Wolfpack thing.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Dale McClaran
Contributor
Contributor

#47 Post by Dale McClaran » May 24th, 2020, 8:49 am

Sean_S wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 9:20 pm
Erica Landon wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 6:45 am

Hi Erica and Andy

Thanks for the clarifications and the reassurances, my family loves your wines.

Sean
+1
GO HAWKS!

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Mattstolz » May 24th, 2020, 3:24 pm

I wish there was a 1 bottle per month option for the Wolfpack. not because I wouldn't love 2 cases of Walter Scott per year, but just because 24 bottles is just a b ig chunk of my total purchase volume per shipping season!

Mark Maddox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Mark Maddox » May 24th, 2020, 8:06 pm

Is there anywhere in the country that you can ship to every month? Even quarterly doesn’t work for Houston, would need 2 per year, November and April (latest).

Vince L.

#50 Post by Vince L. » May 24th, 2020, 8:09 pm

Mark Maddox wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 8:06 pm
Is there anywhere in the country that you can ship to every month? Even quarterly doesn’t work for Houston, would need 2 per year, November and April (latest).
I would say if you were local in the Pac NW you might be able to.
l e r t

Return to “Wine Talk”