Brief TN impressions of recent wines

Here are some brief notes of the modestly priced wines we’ve opened in recent weeks at home:

Dr. Loosen 2002 Riesling Ürziger Würzgarten Auslese Goldkapsel #40 – fell short of high expectations for our only bottle. Rich fruit, but not quite enough acidity, so it came across as a bit flat.

Alesia (Rhys) 2013 Chardonnay Alder Springs – exceeded moderate expectations. Medium bodied, crisp acidity, tasty orchard fruit. Better than a bottle a year ago. This wine doesn’t try to be too much, so it really hits the spot.

Parusso 1993 Barolo Bussia Vigna Munie – far exceeded low expectations. Had a backup bottle in case this one was over-the-hill. Fully mature, but this was still pleasurable and interesting. Had Parusso already switched to modern style by 1993? Nose seemed nicely traditional.

Felsina 2001 Chianti Classico Riserva Rancia – met high expectations. In a terrific spot. Rich, balanced with some leather notes. Still quite hearty; good match with grilled meat. No rush.

Jadot 2001 Nuits St. Georges Les Boudots – exceeded moderate expectations. Fully mature with good balance, fruit, and earthiness. Enjoyable mid-weight. I know folks here beat up on Jadot, but this was quite nice. It was $40 at release, so while it ain’t Leroy, it was worth it. [cheers.gif]

Joblot 2005 Givry 1er Cru Clos du Cellier Aux Moines – slightly exceeded moderate expectations. As noted in another thread, I was pleasantly surprised that a 2005 burg was actually ready for prime time. This bottle was mid-weight, with good fruit and acidity. Doesn’t try too hard; just tastes really good.

Haut-Bergey 2005 Pessac-Léognan – fell short of moderate expectations. Foursquare. Integrated tannins, juicy. Not bad, but just not interesting enough, even for the reasonable price point.

Cristom 2014 Pinot Noir Mt. Jefferson Cuvee – flawed – probably corked although perhaps brett issue?

Be well everyone!
Peter

That sure sounds like Loosen…falls short.

Same for Haut Bergey.

I had the 2005 Loosen UW Spatlese a month ago. Same opinion.