TN: 2005 Château Lascombes (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

TN: 2005 Château Lascombes (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux)

#1 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 21st, 2020, 1:03 pm

Surprised to see neither of my 2 previous notes posted on WB. Also surprised there's no thread for this wine yet. Here's my 3 TNs over time, including one from earlier this month.

2005 Château Lascombes - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (2/2/2009)
-- decanted for an hour or two before tasting --
-- tasted non-blind --
-- 52% Cabernet Sauvignon, 45% Merlot, 3% Petit Verdot --

NOSE: rich bouquet of coffee, concentrated blackberries, and pencil lead; red apple note as well as a slight hint of secondary funk.

BODY: lots of superfine particulate matter; inky garnet color of great depth; medium-full bodied.

TASTE: this is a big big wine: flavors of cassis, coffee, and cedar are off-set by a strong minerality; a meaty element is there too ... superlong finish (2.5 minutes); comes across bitter and tannic right now, but there's enough acidity to call this well-balanced; all the parts are there, but this needs some serious time to harmonize; will be ridiculous-good 10+ years from now.

B: 50, 5, 13, 18, 9 = (95 pts.)

2005 Château Lascombes - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (3/29/2014)
-- double-decanted approx. 2 hours before tasting --
-- tasted a couple pours non-blind over a couple hours --

Violet-ruby color of medium-deep depth. Smoky coffee and red Twizzlers licorice on the Nose. Medium bodied. Black cherry flavor, with a little bit of earthy funk; good acidity; medium tannins still need time to settle; very good; seems that it will continue to age nicely.

2005 Château Lascombes - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (5/6/2020)
-- decanted 30 min. before initial taste --
-- tasted non-blind over approx. 3 hours on Day 1; re-visited on Day 2 --
-- 52% Cabernet Sauvignon, 45% Merlot, 3% Petit Verdot --

NOSE: piercing cassis aroma, and also some freshly-potted flowers; medium-light mineral note. Day 2: moderate oak and a bit fumey, which I didn't perceive on Day 1.

BODY: medium bodied; some sediment present; earthy garnet color of great depth --- still very youthful in appearance.

TASTE: mostly dark-fruited, with hints of coffee grounds, red berries, and ballpoint ink; medium-light to medium oak; still some tannins; alc. not noticeable; adequate acidity; ripe, but not gloppy; still youthful, but in a good "youthful window" at the moment; will maybe wait another 5 years before checking-in again. It's not Margaux-pretty, but it's an excellent wine if you're willing to accept that it's not stereotypical of it's appellation. This could be a good crossover wine for those who might find their preferences trending away from Napa (for example) and towards Bordeaux. Gut impression score: 92 – 94. Drink Now through 2035.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Shay h arnoy

Re: TN: 2005 Château Lascombes (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux)

#2 Post by Shay h arnoy » May 21st, 2020, 1:24 pm

Thank you for the notes. I was thinking of cracking open my only Lascombes 2005 bottle this weekend.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 21st, 2020, 2:06 pm

Shay h arnoy wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 1:24 pm
Thank you for the notes. I was thinking of cracking open my only Lascombes 2005 bottle this weekend.
If you want it to show aged notes you should sock it away for at least another 5 years. If you're happy with "relaxed primary," then go for it. [cheers.gif]
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Arv R

#4 Post by Arv R » May 21st, 2020, 5:14 pm

I remember having this a few years ago and thinking that the cellaring involved, and the $75 paid, didn't seem like it was worth it.
R_@_0

Shay h arnoy

#5 Post by Shay h arnoy » May 21st, 2020, 6:16 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 2:06 pm
Shay h arnoy wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 1:24 pm
If you want it to show aged notes you should sock it away for at least another 5 years. If you're happy with "relaxed primary," then go for it. [cheers.gif]
Good tip. I might just hang on to it.
I have a couple of 2005 Duhart Milon. Any experience with that ?

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Kris Patten » May 21st, 2020, 7:23 pm

The high tannins in 2005 seemed to have given this balance vs. an awkward 2003. Agree this is a really good wine if not an archetypical Margaux.
ITB

dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by dsimmons » May 23rd, 2020, 10:36 am

Kris Patten wrote:
May 21st, 2020, 7:23 pm
The high tannins in 2005 seemed to have given this balance vs. an awkward 2003. Agree this is a really good wine if not an archetypical Margaux.
I drank an '03 Lascombes a week or two ago that was unexpectedly delicious.

2003 Château Lascombes - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (5/12/2020)
Delicious bottle of mature Bordeaux and an amazing step up since the last bottle drank in '17. Concentrated, mature fruit flavor profile with earthy notes and elegant balance. Fully resolved tannin. Unfortunately my last bottle but I would guess this wine will be at peak for at least 5 more years. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
D o n

eweininger

#8 Post by eweininger » May 23rd, 2020, 10:44 am

I have a bottle of 2000 Lascombes that I received as a gift many years ago. Any reason to wait longer?
Elliot

Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Br1an Th0rne » May 24th, 2020, 9:09 am

Thanks for the notes! I bought a case at the tail end of the ‘05 futures campaign, and have been a bit disappointed in how it has evolved. I remember it came out on top of a GJE (Grand Jury Européen) blind tasting of a bunch of First and Second Growths back in 2011, so I opened a few bottles around that time. In its youth, I enjoyed this wine for what it was...more in common with a super ripe Napa Cab or modern St Emilion fruit bomb than a Margaux from a great vintage.

I haven’t been impressed with how it has evolved (my scores have been steadily decreasing from my first bottle in 2011 to most recent in 2018) and am hoping that some additional time in the cellar is beneficial. I seriously considered selling the rest of my stash then, but my 8 yo daughter really likes how the pinkish capsules stand out in the wine cellar! Need to find more VCC...

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » May 25th, 2020, 8:20 pm

Br1an Th0rne wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 9:09 am
Thanks for the notes! I bought a case at the tail end of the ‘05 futures campaign, and have been a bit disappointed in how it has evolved. I remember it came out on top of a GJE (Grand Jury Européen) blind tasting of a bunch of First and Second Growths back in 2011, so I opened a few bottles around that time. In its youth, I enjoyed this wine for what it was...more in common with a super ripe Napa Cab or modern St Emilion fruit bomb than a Margaux from a great vintage.

I haven’t been impressed with how it has evolved (my scores have been steadily decreasing from my first bottle in 2011 to most recent in 2018) and am hoping that some additional time in the cellar is beneficial. I seriously considered selling the rest of my stash then, but my 8 yo daughter really likes how the pinkish capsules stand out in the wine cellar! Need to find more VCC...
Do you write notes in CT, Br1an? I'd be curious to read your impressions over time.

LOL! at the pink capsules/VCC comment! ... there's another affordable Margaux that has pink capsules, but the name is escaping me at the moment ...

Return to “Wine Talk”