TN: 1986 Montrose

The tannins have mellowed significantly over the last few years and this fabulous Saint-Estèphe, 12.5% alcohol, is drinking perfectly now. Exceptionally well-balanced with deliciously bracing acidity and minerality, the 1986 Montrose is one of those irresistible, classic, incredibly elegant, and sophisticated clarets that have become so rare today. Every thing is on the right place and there are absolutely no signs of fatigue in color, aroma, or taste. Pure blackcurrant, blueberry, plum, and raspberry fruit backs up a core of delicate, ripe, Morello cherry fruit and the berry, spicy, leathery finish lingers on and on…
1986 Montrose.jpg

Love it! I don’t think there’s another 2nd Growth that ages like Montrose. At 34 it is probably just comfortably middle aged.

Took a chance on some 1975s recently. Fingers crossed.

USD 20 pr bottle for my 6pack in 1994…

Thanks for the note, I was unsure of when to open my singleton.

Wait, there is not wine in the glass!

I have very very fond memories of this classic wine, but it’s been quite a few years since I had one.

Robert, the wine, food, and company were so fabulous two nights ago that I totally forgot to take some pictures during our outdoor dinner. But I can do a little photoshop magic on the picture if you wish. :slight_smile:

Here a first attempt. :slight_smile:

1986-Montrose3.jpg

The wine that got me into wine many years ago. Glad to hear it is still going strong. St Estephe is amazing in its aging ability.

Glad it showed well. The ‘82 was my first “ah-ha” wine from Bordeaux, back in 1998.

Looks nice. I always felt the wines from this era were pretty stern though.

Yes, traditionally-made wines from this era are often stern, tight and tannic in their youth, especially clarets from 1986 and 1988, but many of them have a great ageing potential and are particularly elegant today.