TN: 2017 Le Mas du Figuier Collioure (France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Collioure)

This is something quite different from what I usually drink and I suppose something that will not get many comments/views around here. That said it is something I would highly recommend to everyone like me, i.e. people who are not that into Grenache in general. It was sold to me as “the lightest Collioure you will ever drink” which is not to say that it is that light-bodied of a wine, really. At 13% ABV it reminds me of a weightier Cru Beaujolais when it comes to texture but of course the aromatics are totally different. I really cannot find any traces of oak but apparently it has been aged in barriques for 10 months (no mention of age, though). Don’t know much about the producer but apparently it’s a quite new one established in 2012 and working organically with vines planted before 1950.

• 2017 Le Mas du Figuier Collioure - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Collioure (20.5.2020)
    The nose is simply charming and extremely inviting with notes of strawberry, cherry, dark chocolate, chestnuts and a garrigue-like element. It has this roasted character reminiscent of some brown spirits or perhaps cigar that I find extremely attractive. The palate is rich and supple without any sense of heaviness. It is dry and savory with quite easy-going tannins. Pleasantly chewy, finishing bright and fresh. What I find uncommon for the variety is that there is no warmth on either the nose or the palate. Had some lamb salsiccia and this was just the perfect pairing and a wonderful drink on its own too.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note.
We love Collioure, the wines and the town. [cheers.gif]

It’s a lovely place indeed despite being very popular. We spent a couple of days there last summer and I remember especially fondly going in the morning to a boulangerie to get some croissants or pains au chocolat and then get great coffee from an expat’s (an Aussie perhaps?) small shop and enjoying them by the sea as it was still not scorching hot and the town was just about to wake up. This bottle in question was from a shop called Vins d’Auteurs which seemed to have a very interesting selection and the employee was full of enthusiasm.

I know the availability might be a challenge but I would love to get some recs in both red and white Collioure (and nearby appellations too).

This might not help in your location, but
Domaine Traginer is good;I find them in the US at Chambers Street Wines
Cabirau (Maury) from WB member, Dan Kravitz, is good.
Lafage (Canet) is widely available, but many of the wines are manipulated for the US market
Best in the region IMO is Domaine Gauby (Calce). Ancient vine/biodynamic
Domaine de la Rectorie (Banyuls) is good. The Rose is great.

Thanks! The only one I’ve had (besides a corked bottle of Traginer) is Gauby, more specifically the Calcinaires bottling. That was right up my alley as a savory, acid-driven wine with an animalistic side to it. I’ll definitely look to find a few bottles from these producers.

I love Collioure, once again the wine and the town! I agree Gauby is amazing, can be difficult to find. I like Domaine La Tour Vieille a lot too. Imported by Kermit Lynch, so not hard to find. Sadly I don’t think they import any of their white wines, just the Reds and Banyuls.

Kasey, I’m sure the store can get the blanc for you (shown on the KL web site). If you’re looking for it locally it might just be that the distributor in your state has chosen not to carry the wine. La Tour Vielle makes a number of different bottlings and they probably need to pick just a few for distribution.