Tn vcc 2014

The way this works is that we have a core group of six, and then add friends so long as we can get the wines to them. Essentially, we are all drinking separate bottles from the same case, and the host is responsible for buying the wines, and making sure they reach the participants. It requires a little bit of organization, but well worth it. Tonight, it is the turn of the Vieux Chateau Certan 2014.

This is a property that for me is right behind Petrus, and equal to Lafleur. The wines were very fine prior to 2005, but starting with the 2005, the wines have been magnificent, often surpassing Petrus. When I tasted the 2014, this was clearly the best Pomerol, and for my money, the wine of the vintage. With the highly regarded 2015 and 2016 approaching $300, and 2009 and 2010 surpassing it, this in the $150 range proved to be a relative steal.

So we agreed to decant the wine at 4:00 pm, three hours before Zoom. Of course, that did not preclude us from tasting the wine; straight out of the gate, the wine is superb. The nose is distinctly mineral, great ripe fruit, with a marked flavor of black currant (although there is only 20% of Cabernet in the blend). The balance, well it is nigh perfect, and the finish goes on for minutes. Absolutely no sense that the wine is closed, This is a tad leaner than 2015, the leaner profile very much to my taste, but has the same concentration and intensity.

Any hope of nursing this wine over many hours disappeared all too quickly. The wine was so good, it barely made it to the end of the zoom, and we polished the remainder soon after. This is really splendid stuff, old fashioned Bordeaux at its best. The great minerality, the hint of mint, the crisp red fruit, the fabulous balance. All the early impressions of the wine were apparent, but an easing and blossoming just made it all the more delightful.

1 Like

Nice note mark. I can’t afford the blockbuster vintages, but can’t imagine they are better than the surrounding years, just different. 2008 prior to the 2009/10 vintages and 2014 prior to 2015/16 duo.

U made me thirsty. I own few of the '14 VCC. Making me regret not getting more.

I decanted when I got home about 5, a bit behind other participants. Nose remained pretty quiet for a while, I was surprised by the gentleness of the tannins, though I know not a “big” vintage. Red fruited, though occasionally a thought of cassis crossed my mind, definite pleasant herby notes. It was really towards the end (and after) of the Zoom call that the nose began to open up, with the fruit blossoming, the herbs intensifying, and a little mushroomy note adding to complexity. Long tangy mineral finish. I don’t drink much young Bordeaux, but this was quite impressive with good future ahead.

Thanks for this, Mark,
Sounds like fun. I have some '06–any recent experience with this wine in that vintage? (I’ve been holding.)

Only time I have had it in bottle was over five years ago. I did like it then.

1 Like

Thanks for this, Mark! Maybe I’ll have to open one as I binge through the lockdown.

It’s all of your fault I opened one of mine today. Eyes closed and not have read any of this, I would never have guessed 2014 as the now standard VCC (one of my absolute favorites as mentioned above) velvety smooth mouthfeel hits on all cylinders right out of the gate For a wine so young. While I only had small sips throughout the two hour decant so far, my impression is of something magical brewing (can you use that term for wine?)- dark red fruits, herbal, hint of mushroom, a rind of sorts, mineral spine and a forever finish. The wine needs a lot more time in bottle (obviously) and in this decanter to gain weight and bring out additional nuances. Thanks for the idea.

Looks like a good deal on this at a Total Wine in Wisconsin…anyone have a good idea on how to get it from there to NJ/PA? [wink.gif]

1 Like

Well, Brookfield is a suburb of Milwaukee, about 1.5 hours from the north side of Chicago… so if you have someone In Chicago that owes you any favors… :stuck_out_tongue:

I had a bottle of this a few weeks ago with board members Tom Gutting and Ryan C (thanks again for the bday gift, Ryan!) and echo your comments. It’s a fantastic, powerful yet elegant wine. I would love to try it again in 10-15 years. So much potential.

We had it in a line up with several top '85s - Lynch Bages, Certan de May, Beaucastel, Swan Estate - and it held its own in terms of complexity and class.

I bought several cases of this and every so often (about once every couple of months) drink a bottle. A few months ago, I became a little concerned as one of them had closed up, but at a vertical of VCC, when it showed beautifully, I realized it might have been an off bottle. Since then, I have found beauty and consistency here, a throwback to the best Right Bank wines of the 1980s and 1990s.

The nose is black currant, violets, anise and spice. Texturally, it is lightish, there is crunch to the wine, and the fruit is still primary, but the balance is perfect, with its backbone of acidity and tannin carrying the flavors through. The tannins themselves have a little edge, which will smooth out with time. As I sip, the finish lengthens, and layers itself. It is a gorgeous wine, and one that will evolve beautifully. I am still drinking it way too young, but the impeccable balance does not make it difficult. Best in fifteen years.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update and the original enablement, as we asked to try this when visiting the chateau in 10/21 due to your endorsement. I loved it and procured a case for ~$175/each all-in. Pricey but worth every penny.

You should have been listening to Mark earlier, I got in cheaper. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Had a chance to buy some of this early at a decent price. I regret passing it up. Great post Mark. Sounds like a terrific time.

At $175, it is still an excellent buy. I like 2014 vintage very much, and this was my top wine.

I really should just trust Mark’s palate, sight unseen! Actually, I am sure I have, many times on various Magdelaine. But I had to try the ‘14 VCC for myself to really step up to the plate… when Alexandre asked which back vintage we wanted to taste, it was Mark’s enthusiasm that made Ian ask for the ‘14 and I was very glad indeed of that! (we also got to try the ‘20 from barrel which was truly as religious an experience as wine can give… the heavens parted in all their intensities and we were humbled).