TN: 2005 Bachelet Gevrey-Chambertin VV

Not ready at all. Brambly and tannic at first. Opens up after an hour to purer, brighter, earthy fruit. Some high-quality oak shows up on the nose. Pretty burly and muscular at this point. Wish I had waited 10 more years to open this bottle.

Sorry to read this, but probably not surprising. The Bachelet GV VV’s are seemingly always surly and with all of the underlying structure and material that 2005’s possess, I can easily see needing to wait a decade or so get much enjoyment out of one. That said, I was hoping for a more positive note at 15-years in…

same with the bourgogne. given the evolution of other domaines’ wines, this seems odd.

The ‘05 Cotes de Nuits Villages remains a beast.

Yup, I opened one about a month ago and it was very surly

the Cote de Nuits villages 2009 is drinking fabulous (and at then level of many gevrey villages) at the moment. The gevrey 09 is still a baby…

Have not touched my '05 VVs.

Funny story - I was in Beaune once around 2009 or 2010, solo, and tasted with Denis Bachelet. The 2005 Cote de Nuits was one we tasted and it was actually showing youthfully, but well. I went to L’Hotel de Beaune for dinner alone that night, saw the same wine on the list at a decent price and ordered it. The waiter told me I wouldn’t like it. When I allowed as how I thought I would, he told me (we were speaking French) “It’s very hard. Women don’t like hard wines.” Umm. Yeah. Well, when Denis and I had it THIS MORNING, this woman did pretty well with it. :slight_smile:

I guess Bachelet and Barthod have similar aging profiles. Great for our kids.

Had the 2005 Domaine Denis Bachelet Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Corbeaux Vieilles Vignes 18 months ago and whilst no where near ready, derived immense pleasure from the bottle.

hahah. Showed him!

Funny - was tasting the 2018s at the domaine last week (shortly after the end of the lockdown - his first visitor in 2 months!) and he mentioned he felt the 1999 Charmes was past its peak already. Most of us would disagree with that - I just think that winemakers in France tend to like their wines younger than most of us do.

Paired well with the chicken?

I have a bunch of that and I disagree!