Few TNs: Beaucastel, Digioia Royer

2015 Beaucastel

Haven’t revisited for a year or more. Ripe, yet generous after a half an hour or so of air. Dark and some dried fruits. Tannins were well integrated. Long finish.

2016 Digioia Royer Haut Cote de Nuits

Earthy, rustic, structured, not exactly what I’m looking for at this level but enjoyable enough.

What’s your view on ageability for '15 Beaucastel?

Should age nicely for decades

Tannins well-integrated? Sounds like it’s already aged.

What, exactly, were you looking for? I haven’t had a post-2010 DR, but this producer makes somewhat rustic wines. How was the fruit?

I don’t mean that they are mature, more so that they are not overwhelming or out of balance. Fruit wasn’t quite as opulent as a couple years ago. I think it’s still accessible but less so than the 16, probably won’t revisit for some years.

I would have preferred more generosity and less reticence. It was good but I could have used a little less structure.

I can’t recall drinking Beaucastel within 5 years of vintage and so was curious about your note on well-integrated tannin. I figured it could have been specific to the vintage.

I’m not sure I read posts and reports here correctly, but are ‘15 Rhones generally less accessible than ‘16s?

I think they are at the moment. 16 Beaucastel about 6 mo ago was drinking brilliantly.

You say the wine is structured and but want less structure. You dont like wines that has good aging potential?

For a Haut Cote de Nuits? I want an easy weeknight drinker at that level. Not every wine needs to have good aging potential.

Michael, that was exactly my impression as well. Not my style of wine as well, used it for making Coq Au Vin!

Is it just me or is this Digioia Royer starting to sound like a really good wine?

Go for it Ramon, if its up your alley by all means. We all have different taste, drink what you enjoy! Life is too short…

Will do at 1st opportune. Agree with different tastes and my need to only drink and cook with wines that I like.

I think Digioia Royer is good for people who like the style; a bit more rustic, but quite affordable Chambolle which is rare these days.

There 'ya go - that’s the answer I was looking for! [cheers.gif]

I have a OWC of 2016 Beaucastel I haven’t yet opened. Waiting at least another 6 years to try the first bottle.

It’s drinking spectacularly right now, might want to check in.

If you have 6 bottles, it makes a lot of sense to open one now in its youth. They can be stunning in their youth as well as when aged. I have a 2001 I plan on checking in on sometime next year.