Bouchard Le Montrachet Anyone?

How do you think Bouchard compares to the big boys in Le Montrachet - DRC, Lafon, Ramonet, etc?

It seems like a good value esp something like the 2014 vintage. I’ve been happy with their Chev/Batard in the past.

My sense is it doesn’t measure up to your list of “big boys” in absolute quality. But for the money, it’s a good value. For me they tend to be “clean and pristine”, but lack the ultimate sexiness that you want in Montrachet.

Without being able to speak from comprehensive experience, I think Bouchard has continued to get better and better. The “highs” from Ramonet, DRC and Lafon are higher but Bouchard is more consistent. Given the price differences, the Montrachet and chevalier are great value.

Thanks, Brad. Any other good value producers that provide more of the ultimate sexiness?

I long had a lukewarm view about Bouchard wines except for a couple of their specialties, but the wines have improved dramatically in recent years. Last year I had the 2014 Bouchard Montrachet one evening in NYC- at one of three wine dinners featuring many of the best wines in the world- and even in that context it really stood out to me as exceptional. I certainly am keeping my eyes out for bottles to acquire.

Stylistically it is very much in the vein of Ramonet- with all the cream, fire and stone in the middle, but framed in a very firm and edgy structure. As Brad says, it is not quite to the level of the very top, but it is awfully close, and also the closest thing I have found to the Ramonet Montrachet experience.

It is a very solid and true Montrachet - but not on the high level of DRC, Ramonet, Leflaive (if not premoxed), and also Colin -
but I prefer it to Blain-Gagnard, Fontaine-Gagnard and Lamy-Pillot (not to speak of Prieur).

I’ve been buying directly from Bouchard for years, but never buy Le Montrachet. Its good but not wow, or worth the excellar price… but the Chevalier Montrachet is superb for half the price. I’d rather splurge on their Chevalier La Cabotte which I feel is more complete, and sits just above their Montrachet holdings.

All I can say is that the last few years of Bouchard’s have done very well indeed in blind tastings. Frédéric Weber is doing a fine job with the domaine whites, and the farming in their Montrachet holdings is good. I bought a bottle of the 2017 Montrachet, as it’s my daughter’s birth year and I had been very impressed the two times I tasted it. I also bought a bottle each of the Lafon and Ramonet Montrachets. I doubt I’ll open them side by side but this thread makes me almost tempted.

As for other renditions of the vineyard, the single barrel from Marc Colin, high up on the Chassagne end, is generally very good. And it’s also worth looking at latest vintages of the Vincent Girardin rendition - they have changed their source, and though I’m sworn to secrecy I guess I can at least say that they are now getting the must from a much better supplier than before. As has been recently discussed, the style is a far cry from the Girardin wines of yesteryear.

Any thoughts on Faiveley GC whites? Looks like they only have a few vintages, around the same price points as Bouchard.

Gonna say the one time, I had it, fwiw, I was impressed–real density and cut. But, honestly, much better advice from others to be found here.

Bouchard’s Montrachet is outstanding. Always holds up well in blind tastings. Their Corton-Charlemagne is also a real value play as is their Meursault ‘Perrieres’.

Not nearly as much experience as some here, but if you gave me my choice, I’d take Bouchard’s Chevalier La Cabotte

which is really Montrachet, an interesting story.

Interesting opinions, I’d be curious what everyone’s feelings are on Chevalier vs. Montrachet as I have always preferred Chevy due to more nerve, tension, and energy.

I think you’re not tasting the best Montrachet. Because the sexiness that Brad mentions is the reason the Montrachet premium is worth it. Poor selections of Montrachet might give you that misguided opinion.

Have had DRC, Jadot, Drouhin Laguiche, Bouchard Monty…I have preferred Jadot Demoiselles, Bouchard Cabotte, and Leflaive Chevy.

DRC is ethereal, but I could get a case of Chevy.

Haven’t had Ramonet Monty.

Sounds like you’re more of a value player. No shame in that. I’m pretty close to the same boat.

Value plays are Deleger Demoiselles and Ente Richarde as a few feet separate them from Grand Cru status.

Monty can just be a little too rich and oily for me, whereas Chevy has more tension.

Same reason I prefer oysters vs. lobster.

Different strokes…and all…2 kids under 5, I can’t afford either any longer.

Kris, in my view, really good Montrachet is better than really good Chevalier. Of course, on any one day a bottle of Chevalier can be better, and there are category defiers such as the old Leflaive and d’Auvenay. I haven’t had Jadot in ages, but when I did I would prefer the Chevalier Demoiselles. I prefer the regular Bouchard Chevalier to the Cabotte, but (sadly) the Montrachet to both. A lot depends on whether you are opening a bottle in optimum condition. And everyone’s taste is different:). Given that Montrachet is now at least 2x in price (used to be 25% then 40%, 50%…) this is really an indicator of scarcity and cachet, rather than added quality.

That’s a shame. You’ll probably miss your kids if you sell them.