Friday afternoon pre-pizza TNs: Three Italians

• 2011 Passopisciaro Sicilia Passopisciaro - Italy, Sicily, Sicilia (5/15/2020)
    So since we’ve been “social distancing”, I’ve been making an effort to dig out some things that we don’t usually drink, and one of my recent focuses has been Sicily. I think this is the 3rd bottle of this wine I’ve had in the last three months.

Like the Terre Nere, not especially memorable on the nose - maybe I’m just spoiled by that great Castell CC. But this fills out nicely on the palate, and is an excellent vintage for the plain “normale”.

This is pretty nice on the palate, but the nose is unremarkable. I just had a glass of the 2015 Castell’in Villa CC, which does this wine no favors. Although faint red fruit notes are starting to emanate from the glass of this popped & poured wine, so maybe it just needs a little air to shine.

• 2015 Castell’in Villa Chianti Classico - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (5/15/2020)
    I believe this is my first time trying the new vintage. Lovely nose with dark cherry fruit and menthol.

Good acidity & persistence on the palate. Still somewhat youthfully clenched, but I do like the potential here. I’ve said this more than once, but if you like Sangiovese, the 2015 and 2016 vintages are two great years to go overweight.

Posted from CellarTracker

That 2015 Castell’in Villa is really solid. Agree about 2015 and 2016 in Chianti.

RT

Yea, Yea, Yea. But what music are you listening to?

Grant Green, Brad [cheers.gif]

Sweet. Drinking Giacosa, and will switch to Grant. Idle Moments?

Ha! Right now I am listening to Idle Moments, but when you originally asked, Grantstand.

What Giacosa are you drinking?

1997 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Falletto di Serralunga d’Alba. Fantastic.