Graciano?

I had my first graciano wine. For better or worse, it was Third Twin 2014. Ripe and massive, as you would expect from Krankl. Dark berries, chocolate, leather and a whiff of pine forest. 4-hr decant and the last glass was the best so I will wait on my other 14. I suspect this graciano is not your typical expression of the grape, but I’d like to try others. Are there some alternatives not in short supply and less than $250 a bottle?

ATTG makes one. haven’t had it. should be fairly accessible.

Sounds like the variety was mangled to unrecognizable mess by the winemaker.

Graciano is normally blended to Rioja and Navarra wines to bring in balance when the temperatures have been too hot and the wine needs some freshness.

In the past it hasn’t been that popular, since it has quite low yields and often fails to ripen especially in cooler vintages, producing thin, acid-driven and rather bitter wines. However, in hot vintages when Tempranillo, Mazuelo and Garnacha can get too sweet and flabby, Graciano is there for the rescue.

Since the vintages in Spain have gotten warmer, many producers also in Rioja and Navarra are producing varietal Graciano wines, since the variety failing to ripen properly is not an issue anymore. Often varietal Gracianos are lower in alcohol and higher in acidity than the other varietal wines of the region and to me quite often seem to have this streak of spicy/herbal bitterness running through the earthy and dark berry flavors. While I haven’t had any aged ones, the wines often have seemed to be pretty well-built for aging.

Of course there is always Chateauneuf to scratch that grenache itch for a lot less!

Or Gigondas for even less.

But what Rhône or French Grenache has to do with Graciano?

Sorry…morning. I saw garnacha. Doh!

Ah. Explains.

Watch for many more Gracianos coming from both the Paso and Santa Barbara County areas due to the ‘mishap’ of many plantings where it was believed Graciano was actually Monastrell. Ooops. This has been discussed a number of threads here before.

Cheers.

And then I stupidly followed the CDP post. [snort.gif]

Up here in Washington state, there are only a few producers bottling a varietal labeled wine from Graciano. The one from this winery is my favorite (and relatively available, at least locally around here):

This producer is down in CA in Lodi. From what I’ve tasted so far, they do a great job with a variety of Spanish grapes. Haven’t tasted their varietal Graciano bottling recently, but it’s been good in past vintages:

https://www.bokischvineyards.com/product/Graciano-2017

I’ve tasted Graciano bottlings at both CVNE and La Rioja Alta - and they were both fabulous. However, I’ve never seen them available over here. Not sure they ever leave the tasting rooms in Haro.

Michael

Have not tried it, but Ser makes a Graciano from San Benito AVA…

http://www.serwinery.com/shop-1/2015-graciano

Bokisch is really good. Also, look for wineries sourcing from them. Quimta Cruz is good.

The '14 Eguren Ugarte Graciano Rioja a couple years ago was really nice for the price ($17).

Yup this one is a good one, as is the Quinta Cruz. Love some Graciano both are under $30. And BTW: there is a SER offer over the Berserker Relief forum

Sean

We were in Spain summer of 2018 and had opportunity to try a few of Abel Mendoza’s wines. His Graciano Rioja Grano a Grano was crazy good. Hard to find in the US since the distributor went out of business but heard they had found a new one.

Thanks for recs. I will seek them out.
The descriptions of spanish graciano are nothing like I experienced with TT. There’s no question of ripeness there
I was in Ribera and Rioja and tasted at many places, including Rioja Alta and CVNE, and there was no mention of graciano. Even in Rioja everyone seemed proudest of their 100% tempranillo wines.

Maybe I just got lucky when I was in Haro. I really like Graciano (I think it has a pretty unique flavor profile), so I asked about it at each visit. Both LRA and CUNE had a varietal bottling available for tasting while I was there (I got the impression they don’t bottle much, and it’s not something they highlight or pour much).

Michael

Mark,

Abel’s wine is 100% Graciano…

Yes, but then Graciano also goes by “Monastel” and “Morastel” so it seems like an honest spelling mistake.

I’ve only tried Graciano in blends, incl Rioja, and it seems to add vibrancy to the palate. People in Paso seem very happy with it as far as I can tell.

Very true - but it was a true mistake that most wineries did not realize until after the vines were in the ground and producing fruit for a number of years . . .

Cheers!