TN: 2011 Kitchak Cellars Merlot Mozart Lake Cynthia (USA, California, Napa Valley)

Don’t know much about this producer – looks like they sold out to the Krupp Brothers a few years ago. Was happy to find a couple of bottles of this at auction and a couple of the Cabs for a song. Not much info here on WB as well - anyone have thoughts about this winery?

2011 Kitchak Cellars Merlot Mozart Lake Cynthia - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/10/2020)
14.7% abv. Recent auction purchase.
Opened this for Mother’s Day to accompany my Brisket Banh Mi and my wife’s French Dip sandwiches. Agree with other notes that this is a fine bottle of Napa Merlot. Nice detail, good depth and structure, balanced. Perhaps slightly more oak influence than I prefer, but I’m nitpicking here – this is really well-made and enjoyable. Excellent pairing with our meal. Glad I have another bottle and giddy that I picked these up for $36/btl. In a great spot right now and has the structure and stuffing to hold for many years ahead. (93 pts.)

I got a couple of bottles of the 2011 Adagio a couple of years ago. When I tried, I loved it. I found one other bottle of 2009 Adagio in WineBid and got it. It is sad they sold it. I read the wine maker is Kian Tavakoli, who worked at Opus One at some point; it seems he works with other wineries in Napa as well. I will check which ones and maybe try some of those.

Very familiar. I was at their first release party as these are local Minneapolis guys. Great wines and I always felt that the prices were fair in regards to the quality.

Would love to find some Concerto at a good price.

2007 Kitchak Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Scherzo - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (5/12/2010)
One of the best domestic rose wines I have ever tasted made from 100% Cabernet Sauvignon. Cherry, rose petals, spice, subtle oak and vanilla are the components of the wine. It has some tannins present and could be enjoyed with a steak. Dry in style and really an interesting wine. (90 pts.)

2009 Kitchak Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Scherzo - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (5/12/2010)
Completely different then the 2007 and more Provence like. Nose of strawberries, minerals, spices and earth. Lively acidity and a solid finish. Again a well made Rose wine from 100% Cabernet. (89 pts.)

2006 Kitchak Cellars Vivace - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (5/12/2010)
A delicate wine featuring chalk, grapefruit, lemon and a candied apricot finish. Drinking well right now but I would not wait to long on consuming this wine. (90 pts.)

2007 Kitchak Cellars Vivace - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (5/12/2010)
A wonderful wine with a nose of lemon, subtle oak, chalk, pinneapple and minerals. On the palate this wine picks up a candied apple note and the oak is subtle. Medium finish and good acidity. This mainly Rhone style wine is 47% Marsanne, 47% Rousanne and 6% Chardonnay (adds a nice element to the wine). (92 pts.)

2008 Kitchak Cellars Vivace - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (5/12/2010)
My favorite of the three Vivace-Ermitage Blanc wines sampled but not by much. Floral, honey suckles, lemon and minerals make up the nose. Very light oak compared to the 07 with an interesting carmel and buttery quality that picks up on the finish. Medium finish and really balanced wine. No flaws here! (93 pts.)

2006 Kitchak Cellars Adagio - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (5/12/2010)
A blend of 47% Cabernet, 32% Merlot, 16% Cabernet Franc, 5% Petit Verdot. Medium purple and the nose is powerful with pepper, blackberries, cherry, floral and spices. There is a gravel note on the palate and medium finish. A wine at 15.2% alcohol that does not show any heat on the nose or palate. Well balanced and drinking really well right now. I was amazed how subtle the oak was for being aged 29 months. (93 pts.)

2006 Kitchak Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Concerto Beckstoffer To-Kalon Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (5/12/2010)
This is an amazing effort! Cassis, spices, oak, vanilla and minerals on the impressive nose. Full of life on the palate with flavors bouncing all over the mouth. Dark fruits, integrated oak, vanilla, spices and minerals are present and the wine is perfectly balanced. Medium and concentrated finish. Easily this wine will age for a decade. (12 views) (95 pts.)

2011 Kitchak Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Scherzo - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena
This is one of the top Roses in America. Rose petals, cherry, spices, watermelon. Great acidity and medium finish. Full bodied for a Rose and a real treat on the patio. (91 pts.)

2008 Kitchak Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Piacere - USA, California, Napa Valley
I liked this but not in the same league as the Adagio. Earth, cherry, spice, minerals and earth. Medium finish and elegant. Drinking well now but will be able to be cellared for five plus years. (91 pts.)

2009 Kitchak Cellars Cabernet Franc - USA, California, Napa Valley
My least favorite wine of the night and a good reason to use this as a blending grape. Minerals, raspberries, strawberries and oak. Medium finish and pleasant. (88 pts.)

2008 Kitchak Cellars Adagio - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena
One of the best wines in Napa Valley for under $100. Intense nose of cherry, oak, vanilla, licorice, blueberries and tobacco. Firm tannins and super long finish. Concentrated wine and this will age a decade or more. Outstanding and a chance to improve in the bottle. (95 pts.)

2008 Kitchak Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Concerto Beckstoffer To-Kalon Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville
A big wine with blueberries, cherry, spice, pepper and chocolate. Firm tannins and a bit tight. This needs five years in the cellar but will be an outstanding wine long term. (94 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Don’t know much about this producer – looks like they sold out to the Krupp Brothers a few years ago. Was happy to find a couple of bottles of this at auction and a couple of the Cabs for a song. Not much info here on WB as well - anyone have thoughts about this winery?

Did they have anything else or just the Merlot? Great price.

There were about 20 bottles of various Kitchak on Spectrum Wine Auctions at the end of April. I picked up two of these 2011 Merlot for $36/btl (after Buyers Premium), one 2011 Adagio for $42, and one 2011 Concerto for $51. There were a couple bottles each of 2006 and 2008 Adagio that did not get sold, a couple bottles of 2011 Piacere that sold for $36/btl, a couple of bottle each of the 2011 and 2013 Scherzo that did not get sold, a couple of bottles each of the 2010 and 2011 Adagio that sold for $42/btl, and a couple of bottles of the 2007 that did not get any bids.
The bottles that did not get bids did not show up in the next auction – not sure why.

2011 Adagio for $42, and one 2011 Concerto for $51.

Stealing. There are no Napa Producers that make wine at that price point that compare. They should have submitted these wines to the “critics” and they would still be in business.

2011 Adagio for $42, and one 2011 Concerto for $51.

Stealing. There are no Napa Producers that make wine at that price point that compare. They should have submitted these wines to the “critics” and they would still be in business.

Yeah, I’m pretty geeked to have gotten a To Kalon from a great producer for $51, even if it is a 2011. The 2011 Merlot was fantastic.