TN: First Zoom tasting - Burgundy

FIRST ZOOM TASTING - BURGUNDY - Mi Casa (5/12/2020)

David suggested a zoom tasting. The theme quickly became red Burgundy. RJ generous got me a box of 5oz bottles from Amazon. Five of us met in front of the Ritz Carlton Tysons Corner and exchange the bottles in the afternoon. We had a two hour zoom session which was both educational and fun.

Red Burgundy

• 2005 Domaine Francois Lamarche La Grande Rue - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Grande Rue Grand Cru
    Wine 1
    A bit coiled nose displaying ripe concentrated red fruit, a slight hint of lavender, dark spices, tree bark and earth. Very good concentration, packed ripe red fruit, chewy and masculine, medium acidity, earthy mineral and a medium to long concentrated red fruit driven finish. No Vosne spice and not terribly complex, perhaps Corton or Clos de la Roche from a mediocre producer. The concentration and ripeness is from a ripe vintage. Pretty pedestrian wine, perhaps an ok buy at $50 but no way to justify the current auction price. Avoid! (91 pts.)
  • 2000 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Malconsorts - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru
    Wine 2
    Fully mature nose displaying subtle red fruit, sour cherry, strawberry, roasted fruit, soy and wet earth. Medium concentration, subtle diluted red fruit, lean and cool, bright acidity, still noticeable tannins and a medium to long subtle red fruit driven finish with noticeable oxidation and rust at the end. Early maturing vintage with a hint of oxidative note lead me to 2001 or 2007. Not much Vosne spice but displays nice mature expression. Enjoyable but no need to wait. (93 pts.)
  • 2005 Louis Jadot Bonnes Mares - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Bonnes Mares Grand Cru
    Wine 3
    My contribution. I didn’t notice TCA when I poured initially but now more noticeable. Makes me feel terrible. NR (flawed)
  • 2009 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru
    Wine 4
    The first nose tells me that someone was incredibly generous. There is strong exotic stem and perfume, a telltale sign of DRC. Expressive nose displaying hedonistic black fruit with a hint of red, crushed blackberry, cherry, roasted meat, tea, dark flowers, strong stem, Vosne spice and mineral. Excellent concentration, layers upon layers of concentrated black fruit, rich and deeply toned, yet perfectly harmonious, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a long sweet black fruit driven finish with stem and Vosne spice at the end. The stem note is strong yet the fruit is perfectly ripe. I am guessing 2011 or 12 RSV. Drinking beautifully in a very youthful way but can easily improve for two decades or more. (97 pts.)
  • 2009 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grands-Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Grands-Echezeaux Grand Cru
    Wine 5
    Another wine that is clearly DRC but showing slightly less stem and more Vosne spice. Beautiful youthful nose displaying perfectly ripe red fruit, strawberry jam, raspberry, cherry, a hint of stem, Vosne spice, Chinese herbal medicine, oolong tea, rose and mineral. Perfectly harmonious palate, very finely layered perfectly ripe red fruit, rich yet silky and fluid, perfect amount of acidity and mineral, and a seamless long sweet red fruit driven finish with stem and perfume at the end. Showing incredibly finesse and balance. My guess it the 10 DRC Echezeaux based on more red fruit and refinement. (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Love the notes. Isn’t that always the case with La Grande Rue? What an underachiever.

That’s doing Zoom tasting right. Shame about the Jadot.

I was part of another virtual tasting where we had a wine that hadn’t shown as corked when it was opened, but did when we all tasted it. I’m not surprised.

Definitely agree on older vintages, but I thought they got better In very recent vintages.

That being said, I had the same experience with the 2005, but I enjoyed the 2007, which was very good for the vintage in my opinion.

JF

Only a single data-point, but the 97 from magnum, two Christmas’s ago, drank fabulously over 3 days. And that really was a snip at auction ~2005 - probably the price of a villages magnum today…

Obviously, this happens to everyone. One of the nice things about tasting with a lot of the same people over time is that over time it all evens out among friends and isn’t a big deal. Sometimes, we all bring backups, other times that is not possible. But, as I said, it all evens out over time so don’t feel terrible.