A virtual vertical of Marcel Juge cornas- 2010-2015.

The weekly zoom group wants da Juge so I offered the Juge. 2010-2015 Marcel Juge tasting - 6 vintage vertical.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
My preferences are listed in descending order from favorite to least favorite. ⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀
But in general what more needs to be said about the wines of Marcel Juge? Elegant wild - like a wilding with a suit on. There’s tones of grace and subtly in the wine but with a constant brimming undertone savory spice that runs along all the vintages.

• 2010 Marcel Juge Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (5/11/2020)
    2010 Marcel Juge! One of my favorite juges. The combination of cool acid, feral notes, bold and exciting fruit wrapped up in a shimmering robe of spice and resolved tannin. It’s simply unique from the other ones due to how bright and lively the wine is while still showing the secondary meaty and spiced tones of cornas. Yum yum. Been drinking these too often. Gotta start holding off
  • 2014 Marcel Juge Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (5/11/2020)
    The 2014 Marcel Juge has been a delight from release. A beautiful lush fragrance of spicy, cedar, soft round red fruit resonate from the glass. The palate shines with precise fruit clarity and a soft plush acidity. Absolute elegance in a glass.
  • 2012 Marcel Juge Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (5/11/2020)
    2012 Marcel Juge. The wine that got me into Juge.
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    I distinctly remember that night. Rick had organized a dinner at Kinjiro (or its predecessor) back in 2016 and I was unsure if I was going to go. I knew Ryan was going and he told me he was bringing a 2012 Allemand Reynard (i has only had allemand twice before then but both distinctive) and a small not widely known producer 2012 Marcel Juge. So curious about the wines I joined the dinner. I was absolutely blown away by both. From that day on I started gobbling up every stray Allemand and Juge I could find (even at that dinner I remember buying a case of 2008 and a case of 2011 reynard from justin rutherford). So in case the world doesn’t know who to blame - it’s ryan. :joy: (he also turned me onto roulot 13 years ago!)
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    On this particular day the 2012 was very good. It is holding a bit in reserve but it has great power and depth. It hits all the check marks you want for a classic Juge but at an above average level. It’s holding back just enough that you know when it hits it’s apex it’s going to be excellent. Lots of chewy animalistic dark red fruit, spice and grippy mouthfeel right now.
  • 2011 Marcel Juge Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (5/11/2020)
    The 2011s have always held back something in reserve. Far more structured and brooding than the vintages surrounding it. But when they get air and unfurl the depth of fruit is quite nice. Black pepper and olive emerge on the finish. The profile is darker weightier fruit opposed to the 10,12,14 ahead of it with a touch of tannic grip. Still really good but it is the one that needs the most time to express itself.
  • 2015 Marcel Juge Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (5/11/2020)
    wine is fully stuck on its solar ness of 2015 like a lot of other Northern Rhone producers are. It took a significant amount of time to shed even an ounce of its ripeness and shimmer. Could really benefit from a 8+ hour decant like its brethren.
  • 2013 Marcel Juge Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (5/11/2020)
    the drama filled release that never made it to the official importer thanks to some unscrupulous dealings by the group that purchased the 2013 vintage from Marcel
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    The nose on this wine was glorious. Maybe the best nose of the night. Filled with saddle wood, olive spice, little sweet ripe red berries in an intoxicating and powerful perfume.
    ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
    But. It tasted like sewer water. Or at least what I assume sewer water tastes like as I’ve never actually tasted sewer water. That infection laden profile never really disappeared and got more and more powerful. This is something I’ve noticed on some random Marcel Juge. It never matches the nose, it’s only on the palate. It’s been on roughly 4 different vintages that I can remember. Wonder what causes it.

The only thing sexier than the Juge vertical… is Ryan. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

…all of the wines getting precisely the same 93 point score.

Speaking of which, are any of these up around the 95-97 or 98-100 point ranges?

Think you might have me confused with the other chinese guy

well you know, you all…

I seem to remember in Burghounds recent book on Burgundy vintages that he talks about this phenomenon and gives the cause, I think it is 2011 but I will check when I get home tonight and report back

Charlie, I thought your preference for this tasting was 10, 14, 12, 11, 15, 13?

Spectacular! Thank you for the notes. Sad to hear about the 2013 - do you think this is how most/all bottles will show or is it just random?

Bummer on the 2013! Since I got my only 2013 from you, lol, now I’m worried. I want my 2012 back!

FWIW, i liked the 13 more than the 12. :wink:

Thanks again for sharing Charlie. Really enjoyed this lineup…
My fav on initial taste was 12,10, 11, 13, 14, 15… but with 3 hours of air, i found the 12 picked up brown sugar sweetness that i didn’t like as much… the 14 on the other hand blossomed into greatness. so end of night ranking was 14, 10, 13, 11, 12, 15.

Educational and fun group of guys. Look forward to more of this!

formatting issue. Thought I sorted it properlywhen I transferred the notes over

I’ve had plenty of tasty 2013.

Geosmin is what I was reaching for and after a bit of research I don’t think it is the answer in this case.

Wait…what! He’s secretly cornering the market on 2012 I think. I want my 2012 back too [rofl.gif]

Great virtual to put together. It’s too bad about the ‘13. I would have handicapped that one for top 3.

I was curious why i have so many 2012s when I only ordered 6 initially [snort.gif] [snort.gif]

if he removed his hand from his face he might have recognized him rolleyes

Fu was ditching his sewer water!

Do you think '15 will eventually come around with age?