TN: 2013 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Heritage No. 2 Whistling Ridge Vineyard

There is a perfumed nose of fresh bog cranberries, cherry, blood orange, cherry blossom, saddle leather, and sous bois. With another hour in the glass the savory notes on the nose start to recede and the fruit is nicely balanced by floral aromas of cherry blossom and potpourri.

Mouthwatering acidity coupled with silky smooth tannins provide a foundation for the wine on the palate, which is lightweight and savory. Saddle leather, wet Autumn leaves, Asian spices, and a touch of cranberry and tart cherry caress the tongue and palate, and linger for a long finish.

I suspect the higher acidity and slightly thin body are characteristic of the 2013 vintage in general. The wine is ready to go now but I think it’ll last another 8-10 years at its current stage. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice notes Brian. I’m am very happy to have a six pack of this wine, as yet untasted. I am a huge fan of the 2013 vintage for OR PN and have loved everyone that I’ve had. For Goodfellow specifically, I’ve had the Whistling Ridge, Durant, and Bishop Creek and don’t personally think that they have reached peak yet. I even reached out to Marcus to do some back-filling of this vintage. I am actually just finishing off the end of a case of Matello WV PN that is in a perfect spot. It has an incredibly silky texture, whisper-inspiring aromas and a color that is bordering on a rose. What you are describing as “higher acidity and slightly thin body” is apparently exactly what I want compared to the bigger wines of 2014, 2015, and 2016.

I love the acidity, and wasn’t trying to make it sound like the wine was flawed in some way by being dilute. I think I’m also more used to drinking the 2017s and 2018s recently, which I find to have a little more concentration in flavors and tension.

I’ve only had one of Marcus’ wines from that era (a 2014 Whistling Ridge PN). Although the fruit was more prominent compared to this wine it wasn’t a “big” wine like other producers made in those vintages.

Thanks for the notes, Brian…I’ve lots more experience with older Calif PN than Willamette. But sounds like this wine is right up my power alley. I know I love the whites…sounds like I need to sacrifice a young Goodfellow Pinot for science.

Awesome note Brian. Sounds exactly like '13, I love that vintage. I have yet to try this wine but have a few Matello 13’s left that I continue to enjoy.

Sean

I know you do based on your Goodfellow Chardonnay notes. I didn’t think you found the wine flawed so much as perhaps leaving you wanting a bit more. As I recall, Marcus only just pulled this wine out of the library because it had been in a stubborn closed spot for years and is finally coming out of it (Personal note: 2013 is my wedding year and I have been nagging him for a while to let me buy some of this). If you have another bottle, perhaps you should revisit it around 2028.

I have another bottle, and then I ordered the Heritage vertical which includes another.

Anyone know how the regular 2013 Whistling Ridge is drinking? I have a few bottles in my offsite locker and wondered if I should leave them there for a few more years or grab them next time I’m over there. I tend to like my wines at the complex, supple stage, but with some fruit remaining.

They are fantastic right now. They will be fantastic in several years. I do not think you will regret opening one now.

So this is my thought about the 2013 Oregon vintage and not directed towards Goodfellow wines. 2013 is a very polarizing vintage. Is that the correct term? I had a 2013 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Pinot before the holidays last year and it was wonderful. I have more and I’m in no hurry to drink them. If I remember correctly, Marcus waited after the tsunami, but a majority picked beforehand. There’s a thread about the 2013 harvest, but it’s not really discussed that much here.

James

Is this the thread? 2013 Oregon: how are the grapes doing? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Hi Marshall,

I would think that the 2013 Whistling Ridge is getting into the window for you. I generally think of it as a 10 year vineyard for optimal drinking with another 5 years. 08-09s are very good right now.

I think with a good bit of air the 2013 is enjoyable, but will continue to add texture over the next 2-3 years. This is how the 2007s worked, and I see some similarities in how the wines have been evolving in 2013.

Hope that’s helpful.

We did pick almost everything after the tsunami. Pre-deluge picks were a bit at Durant. And some young vine fruit at Whistling Ridge and Bishop Creek. Post deluge was 80+% of the fruit.

I really enjoy the 2013s, but they are suffering a bit from 2016-2018 being just fantastic vintages for us.

Yes, that’s a good thread regarding the 2013 Oregon harvest, but I seemed to recall a different thread which was more centered on the tsunami/typhoon. I recall a post that someone had seen some harvest crews at the Red Hills Market during the storms, but I’m probably just losing my mind.

Great, thanks Marcus and Chris. I’ll grab one to try next time I’m at the storage locker.

I have had a very small sampling, but I love the vintage. I have personally heard first hand enthusiasm for the vintage from Goodfellow, Vincent, Johan, Kelley Fox, and Belle Ponte. I have heard significant lack of enthusiasm from Arterberry Maresh. I find that interesting since AM and Kelley Fox share the same vineyard.

I agree. I suffer every time I drink one. flirtysmile

Chris, for AM IIRC it was about when they picked, which presumably was at a different time than KF. Maybe Jim can weigh in…

Count me in as a big fan of 2013.

Yeah popped one of these last night lovely cherry hints of strawberry and sous bois. Good acid silky and surprisingly long finish. Marcus if you feel this vintage is suffering for whatever reasons it should be discounted and an email will soon be coming for more (either way) [wow.gif]