TN: 2016 Il Poggione (Proprietá Franceschi) Rosso di Montalcino

• 2016 Il Poggione (Proprietá Franceschi) Rosso di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Rosso di Montalcino (5/9/2020)
    2 1/2 years later, and, very good. I tasted this upon release some years ago, knowing it needed time. Well, that time has come, this is elegant, in early maturity, and offers such fine detail through the finish. Of course it’s a food wine, but some will be tempted to enjoy it on its own, and it may well succeed in that the texture, and grace may well afford such a thing. The tannins are super fine, lightly sweet, the fruit is red, with lovely soil, and other notes of place. Should hold at this level for a few more years, no problem. 14,% abv., natural cork. PnP, served non-blind, better at the 60 minute mark. In its current form, this is highly recommended

Posted from CellarTracker

I agree with your assessment, Tim. One of our favorite local restaurants has this on its list at a good price, so we’ve enjoyed it with food multiple times over the last year or so.

Big fan of this, thanks for the look-see, Tim.

In the hands of competent producers, I think Rosso di Montalcino is pretty great across the board in 2016.

Thanks Tim. I just moved one of mine up to the kitchen wine fridge for near-term consumption. :slight_smile:

I was hoping to buy one of these today but I couldn’t find one. Had to settle for a 2016 Il Poggione Rosso Toscano. Hopefully its enjoyable with pasta tonight. Thanks for the note. Hopefully I can track some done. It sounds like it will be worth it.

Fwiw, this lasted into night #3, and even though nights 1,2 were my favs, there was still a good+ amount of elegance, and harmony right till the end. Should continue this plateau for some years yet. Great value.