TN: 2012 Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Riesling Kabinett

• 2012 Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (5/9/2020)
    Absolutely love where this is just now. Yeah, it’s all the boxes I want to tick in an 8yr old Kabinett. In the first hour, plenty of soil, some petrol, white and orange fruit, and a firm, medium-bodied palate. In the second hour, the palate takes on a creamy essence, with some orange and lime sherbet notes. Totally in the zone just now, with a bit of age set aside a youthful, fun, and deliciously fruity core. Sweetness is very much in the background; halbtrocken at most. Only 8,5% abv., now and the next several years, no problem. Held since release, served non-blind, natural cork. recommended+

Posted from CellarTracker

How was the 2012 vintage in general? I haven’t had any 2012 Rieslings.

It’s not my area of study, but from what I’ve tasted, which is consistent with the palates of others whom I trust, it’s thoroughly enjoyable. The acid/fruit balance in this bottle was pitch perfect, as was the sweetness level; at once invisible and also front and center.

I love the wines so much. It is sad the owner keeps firing winemakers and distributors.

It was generally considered pretty good, though there was little botrytis and it was a quite small crop. There’s a good summary here: Learn About Wine: 2012 Germany | Vintages | Berry Bros. & Rudd

I suspect your perception that it was halbtrocken is a reflection of the natural acidity you get in the Ruwer, which is cooler than the nearby Middle Mosel. The estate makes halbtrockens if you want a wine where the acidity is really in display!

Thank you! This is really helpful. I found some 2012 Donnhoff Oberhauser Brucke Auslese Auction available, but cannot find a single bit of information on that wine, so I at least wanted to get a better understanding of the vintage.

I assume that Donnhoff managed to get botrytis if he bottled a Gold Capsule auction wine.

Aren’t all of his auslesen bottled with gold capsules? I have it in the back of my head there is some general misunderstanding re the estate’s use of gold. Paging Prof Bueker!

ps - personally, I love the 2012 Vintage in the MSR.

Ditto for me. I only really tasted Kabinetts and Spatleses, but they were dead on for my tastes.

I’m not Bueker but every Donnhoff Auslese does have a gold capsule, and the estate does not make a separate GK Auslese (ever to my knowledge) even if they decide to release a separate auction Auslese.

That would explain why some of his Ausleses are identified as gold capsule various places while others aren’t: it’s redundant.

It can get a bit confusing at times. I’m pretty sure all of Willi Schaefer’s bottles have goldcaps, but not to signify that they are a higher quality or more concentrated than other cuvees. Markus Molitor’s goldcaps just mean those bottles are fully sweet (as opposed to dry or off dry).