Heymann-Lowenstein 2014 Uhlen L TN

Just tasted this after 3 weeks in the fridge. Amazing fresh palate, crisp spring flowers and grassiness, crisp medium + finish. Elegant petrol nose. Really pleasant wine. Why is it these Rieslings can seemingly resist oxidation for soooo long. I have had 2 week old German Rieslings that actually taste a bit better with weeks of refrigeration. What is it about this grape that allows for this survival? Id it the acid or the intrinsic qualities of the grape itself?

Homer Simpson could have said this about Riesling “A magical, magical animal”

Any idea why this may be? Most other white wines would be hopelessly oxidized by now.

Malic acid? Total acidity?

Have had some screechingly high acid chardonnay and this is no guarantee of longevity. Or oxidation resistance. But that is surely part of the equation…

Have had some screechingly high acid chardonnay and this is no guarantee of longevity. Or oxidation resistance. But that is surely part of the equation…

I’ve only had the Laubach and I don’t remember noticing if it was totally dry. Maybe there’s some sugar in there that helps to preserve its drinkability. I’ve never gone that long with an open bottle, but riesling is one of those that have lasting power.

SO2 and reductive winemaking? Heymann-Lowenstein has long had a very unique winemaking style.