TN: 2017 Herri Mina Irouléguy Blanc

• 2017 Herri Mina Irouléguy Blanc - France, Southwest France, Pays Basque, Irouléguy (5/9/2020)
    Efff me this was good. I mean really good. The first sip is like a giant slab of stone is detonated in your mouth, covers your entire palate with its residue and smart acidity. The long finish feels slightly viscous with its lemony goodness - but really I think the wine is just really concentrated to give this impression vs actually showing structural thickness, hopefully this makes sense. Paired with fresh cod confit with roasted leeks, coriander and lemon was a match made in heaven. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

not much experience w the whites but love Domaine Brana since visiting w Jerry Hey years ago. Hard to find.

I had the last bottle of 2015 Brana Harri Gorri rosé a couple days ago. Lots of wine flavors and texture for a rosé. And I have one last bottle of the Irouleguy rouge left. Good stuff.

Assuming this is gros manseng (no, not a French rap duo).

Thanks for the note. I look out for wines from this region.

A completely under-rated region in my opinion. Amazing and often distinctive wines at comparatively reasonable prices - if you can find them.

Especially the blanc … not many out there.

Hi Ramon, yes I believe it’s 100% gm. The red has a high percentage of cab franc which I understand is unusual from the norm for this region

Thanks for the note. I am passionate about these wines (check my signature). Irouléguy whites can be thrilling! Brana’s are exceptional.

Cod potted in fat? How does one confit a fish?

I’ve had this wine years ago and liked it very much, but it only seems to surface retail every few years.

Hi Markus, Here is the link to the recipe - Whole Foods was out of halibut so I opted for cod. irrespective of whether its a true confit - I loved this and would highly recommend it. If doing over I would just put all the sliced lemons in with the leeks at the start as opposed to half of it.

This wine continues to shine and wowed a non wine geek group over Memorial Day weekend. Served with grilled Halloumi and mint vinaigrette on grilled romaine. Spectacular match, Spectacular white.
1B2BEA76-A5D7-4C81-830F-68799784F6E5.jpeg

Will have to keep an eye out. Love their reds, but haven’t managed to try a white.

1 Like

What is the aging world on these? It looks like I could find vintages in the 17-20 range, would I be better getting newer vintage or one with a few extra years on it?