TN - Vosne Beaumonts 2008 Hudelot-Noellat

Following the discussions about 2008 Burgs on another thread, I pulled the cork on this one tonight.

Vosne Romanee 1er Cru Les Beaumonts 2008 Domaine Hudelot-Noellat
Surprisingly subtle and understated from start to finish. Red fruit, with a hint of autumnal leaves creeping in. There is a Vosne perfume and floral character - musk - but it really creeps up on you rather than taking centre stage. Has lifted and briary hedgerow characters. Has the bright 2008 acidity but there is sufficient sweet fruit to buffer - it’s slender but graceful. Lots of mid-palate energy but it’s a quiet energy, with everything in the treble register. An umami note, like soy or hoisin, creeps in towards the finish. Will be fascinating to follow this and see how it develops. Today it’s not giving masses away but neither does it seem particularly closed. Intriguing and softly spoken.
92+/100

Cheers,
Matthew

Good to know about this, Matt,

As I own a fair amount of '08. At the same time, hard not to feel as if you were perhaps a bit making a silk purse out of a sow’s ear? As if you expected something more, different–indeed bigger–but were willing to settle, even embrace, figuratively, what was in the glass. Just wondering?

Not sure. Certainly didn’t want bigger, as big is not what I want in Burgundy. I’d have liked more fragrance and aromatic complexity but I’m not convinced that won’t come with time. Fingers crossed.

I had this wine as well within the last 6 months, and my take was quite similar. I realized it was young–younger than I would normally address a burgundy like this–but I’ve had other youngish H-N wines that showed remarkably well, so I gave it a whirl. I think it’s just shy and holding things back, and too young, rather than somehow lacking. If you own it, I’d probably wait 4-5 years.