Cayuse Ex-Cellar Sale

Got this today:

When the Mailing List speaks, the Frog listens. After so many positive responses and requests for more vintages, he’s decided to once again throw open his cellar and release a special selection directly to you.

These ex-cellar wines have never passed hands or left the domaine. They haven’t known anything but their simple, quiet life in the Frog’s cellar since bottling. And now they’re ready to go out into the world to be what they were meant to be: opened and enjoyed!

Just like the greatest domains of Burgundy, Bordeaux and the Rhône Valley, Cayuse is making these wines available only to our customers. This is a great opportunity to get your hands on a few older bottles from 2008-2012, especially if you just couldn’t resist the temptation and have already savored your own older bottles of Cayuse. And really, who could blame you if you did?

Due to the limited amount of wines available, we will be randomizing the bottles to be fair to everyone. You might get a Bionic Frog, Flying Pig, or other great bottle of Cayuse. You are guaranteed one bottle, but can wish for up to 6. The list of available wines is located here, Ex-Cellar Wine List.

Clicked on the list and it looks like vintages of most wines from 2010-2014. Opt-in is from 5/20 to 6/20.

Pretty cool to get a 2010 Bionic Frog ($170) direct from Cayuse!

I guess that’s great if your game is roulette…

Sounds like a money grab without the reach around.

Their prices are significantly lower than current retail but higher than release prices. I think it’s a fair offering and appreciate the opportunity to buy some properly aged bottles directly from the producer.

I don’t think that’s a fair characterization of the offer. The prices are pretty reasonable compared to retail and many other library offers I’ve seen. I imagine most mailing list members will have a preference but enjoy most if not all Cayuse offerings so I see no real losers here. I will be in with fingers crossed for a well aged frog and/or impulsivo but will be pleased with any outcome I’m sure.

How so?

I was not able to pick up my order from 2018 because the release party was cancelled last month. So I guess I’m picking up my order from 18 and 19 in the Spring of 2021. All this too say I’d me more tempted to order if I wasn’t already waiting on so much wine from Cayuse to begin with.

Tom

Think I’m still on the wait list. Haven’t seen any correspondence from them. Library releases are always nice.

I don’t get the response? They randomly pick a bottle that you can purchase… but you still have a choice to buy/not buy and then waitlist.

OK. Sounds reasonable. I thought it was more like a raffle. You pay upfront and then get what you get.

Their prices are significantly lower than current retail but higher than release prices. I think it’s a fair offering and appreciate the opportunity to buy some properly aged bottles directly from the producer.

Fair to charge a bit more than release. How much more are they charging?

I haven’t gone back to look at the original release price on all of them, but I would guess 20-35 per bottle, except for Bionic Frog which is about 50-70 more a bottle. All are at or below current secondary market though I think.

I haven’t gone back to look at the original release price on all of them, but I would guess 20-35 per bottle, except for Bionic Frog which is about 50-70 more a bottle. All are at or below current secondary market though I think.

The Bionic has gone up so much on secondary pricing over the years. I have had a few from the 2000s and liked but did not love them.

The last one was basically raffle IIRC. Looking through the list I have what I need from this set, so will pass.

Edit: seems the term raffle is being used differently. To clarify you only pay if you are allocated 1-6 bottles… but the bottles you get are “randomly selected” and there is no choice. If you get an allocation you pay for it even if not a bottle you wanted.

Frankly I dont know why they don’t factor in preference and let you request what bottles you want or some order of preference. If a wine is over subscribed, do lottery for that wine, and so forth.

The last one was a raffle. You were told what would be offered and the cost and the then you signed up for x bottles and took what
you drew. I got three bottles which were not wines I would have chosen, but they were good.

I’ve been on the list for a few years and I didn’t get this offer. I don’t have anything from Cayuse since my order confirmation in September.

Guess I read it wrong. I read it as the offer itself was random. Sorry!

Seems odd. Spam folder?

Edit. 2009 vintage regular syrahs (non frog/armada) were $165 per three pack- $55 each. Armada and GOK (2008) $210/3 and Frog (2008) $240/3

You can assume gradual upward movement for more recent vintages.

Nothing in my spam folder. And I logged into their website and there’s nothing available to me. But…Last Fall was the first time that I didn’t take everything that I was offered. There was discussion in a thread here where people said, “just order what you want and you won’t lose your spot.” I did so, but maybe that wasn’t good advice.

Bummer. I cut back a few years ago with no detriment, but I guess only they know their algorithn

I cut back also to just 1 3pack and was also offered this.
Email them. I bet there’s a mix up