TN: 2017 Solminer - Riesling Dry Coquelicot Vineyard (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County)

2017 Solminer Wines Riesling Dry Coquelicot Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (4/21/2020)
– popped and poured on Day 1 –
– tasted non-blind over a couple of days –

NOSE: very light mineral note — almost nothing in the way of aromas; hint of alcohol.

BODY: Diam5 cork; medium-light golden yellow color; light to medium-light body.

TASTE: not much flavor — medium-light mineral; alcoholic water; light vodka taste; “austere” is the name of the game here; I don’t get it. I did access leftovers of 2018 Keller – Riesling trocken from the previous day to try alongside, just to make sure it wasn’t my faculties failing me, but the Keller had noticeable aroma and flavor, so I’m standing-by my impressions of this wine. No different on Day 2.

I went through a California Riesling phase and it’s really hit or miss out there compared to the old world (Germany, Austria, Alsace).

Seems like they ferment all the sugar off which is an interesting move… only other truly 0.0 Riesling I’ve seen in CA is from Scribe and that was absolutely ripping in acid, but not devoid of flavor like what you’ve described.

There’s great stuff from classic vineyards like Kick-On Ranch or great producers like Smith Madrone. But otherwise it’s still a developing varietal IMO.

@rturo, sounds like you have more experience with American Riesling than I do. Other than Hermann Wiemer, I’ve yet to have an American Riesling that truly impressed me. And the pricing relative to the excellent German and French counterparts makes it an easy Pass for exploration purposes. This Solminer was part of a wine club shipment; I have a 2018 from them yet to try, too.

Brian, you might try some of the Rieslings from Teutonic in Oregon. They make a number of different wines from different sites, but every one I’ve had has been tasty.

I agree with you on the pricing relative to the Euro examples, but you can say that about almost any variety/type.

I’ll keep Teutonic in mind, Marshall. Thank you! [cheers.gif]