TN: 2014 Schloss Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner 1ÖTW Reserve Ried Lamm

I enjoyed the heck out of the 2013 Hirtzberger Riesling Smaragd Hochrain and it really re-sparked my interest in Austrian wines big time. While I’m waiting for a couple of cases of newly ordered wines to arrive I looked into my home stash and this called my name. A really cool, serious wine that feels like a safe bet for longer term cellaring.

• 2014 Schloss Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner 1ÖTW Reserve Ried Lamm - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal (7.5.2020)
    Deepish yellow color, as could be expected. Lots of character on the nose that shows notes of sponti funk (disappeared after a while), yellow apple, mirabelle, white pepper and grapefruit with a hint of at the most very lightly toasted oak. The nose is not hedonistic but it is bright, expressive and quite complex. What I especially enjoy is the interplay between the very tangy and some riper fruit notes. On the palate it is authoritative in its considerable concentration, structure and power. Both broad and deep yet remarkably firm, chiselled even. Comes off as quite dry, leaning towards savory despite the ripeness. Massively intense with a fairly formidable acidic structure. Some warmth on the long finish but not too much to distract. I have no problem enjoying this right now but clearly it’s made for the long haul. Anyone trying to catch it at its peak should be ready to cellar it for at least another ten years but it could easily be 15-20 years that is needed.

Posted from CellarTracker