TN: 2010 Qupé Syrah Sonnie's Sawyer Lindquist Vineyard

• 2010 Qupé Syrah Sonnie’s Sawyer Lindquist Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley (5/5/2020)
    Five years ago this was just a big beast of a wine. Tonight it’s still a statement wine, but the statement has nuance. Clear aromas of roasted meat, black fruit and road tar (i.e. textbook Syrah) lead to a more herbal palate expression, that still maintains the meat and fruit elements. It’s still young. I will make an effort to “misplace” my last bottle, figuring time is only an ally.

Posted from CellarTracker

I had the 2008 over the holidays and loved it. When I recently saw Qupe Syrah being blown out on discount sites (presumably because of the recent purchase of the winery), I loaded up.

• 2008 Qupé Syrah Sonnie’s Sawyer Lindquist Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley (12/21/2019)
    Loads of pepper and creosote on the nose. The palate follows the nose with creosote and pepper at the forefront with some red and purple fruits and Brett making announcing their presence on the swallow. Good acidity and tannins are mostly resolved. Nicely scaled; on the more modest side. Plenty of life left. 14.0%abv. From magnum. (92 pts.)

Every time I open one of Bob’s older wines I am blown away.
To me that’s a reminder to get some of the wines he is making now under the Lindquist Family label.

Have you had many of his 13-15 Syrahs? That’s what I loaded up on (because that’s what was available).

Just out of barrel have I drunk the more recent wines.
I’m working on the '05s in my cellar.
Need to make space down there.