Help with upgrading my wine

I have been drinking Yellow Tail Chardonnay for a while now and love it (sorry if this offends people). Its very easy to drink and rather delicious. However, since 2019 bottles came out it has not tasted the same and i think its time i found myself a new favourite that is an elevated taste to Yellow Tail. Does anyone have any recommendations on something similar to Yellow Tail Chardonnay but better? I am happy to up my budget (average price of Yellow Tails is £7 per bottle) but cannot go above £12 per bottle. Something full-flavoured, vibrant, ripe tropical fruits maybe? Open to all suggestions but has to be white. Thank you so much

No offense. Enjoy what you enjoy.

If you want a slightly-sweet Chardonnay, I think the Woodbridge chardonnays still have some residual sugar though they may have more oak than the Yellow Tail. Lindeman’s Bin 65 is also a pretty standard and widely-available chardonnay with a bit of RS. I believe they’re both in that price range as well.

If you can describe what you like about the Yellow Tail there may be other options for white wines in that price range that you may enjoy that could be of slightly better quality.

Sarah, if budget is an issue, perhaps consider going to stores that allow you to taste wines. Many wine shops in the US (perhaps this is also the case in the UK?) have wines out for samples – generally speaking, this seems more common on the weekends.

It’s been many years since I had Yellow Tail, but if you would consider branching out a bit, I would consider looking at Vinho Verde wines from Portugal, which are generally light, cheap and refreshing. It won’t be the same flavors, but IMO, most are better than Yellow Tail. I’d also consider looking at Muscadet wines, which come from the Loire Valley of France. The wines tend to be a higher in acidity and are full bodied than Yellow Tail.

Good luck.

Thank you so much guys. I was going to do the whole tasting thing but because of the coronavirus, everything is closed. And right now is the time to be drinking - right?! :slight_smile:

I find it tricky to describe what it is i like so much. I like un-oaked but with a bit of oak - if that makes sense. I like vanilla flavours, fruity, not too sweet. What i don’t like is mineral flavours, apple, very acidic, grapefruit, too dry.

I do seem to favour Chardonnays and Viogniers but open to everything.

Thanks i will try both of these

I would recommend contacting your local wine shop and seeing what they have in your price range and when the Rona dies off go to some tastings at bottle shops to see if you can try new things.

I take it from the currency that you live in the UK. I unfortunately don’t have a sense of what wines are available there or what the pricing is. In the US, I might recommend Talbott Chardonnay Kali Hart. It’s pretty widely available, you can get it as low as $14 the US, which is just below your limit.

It’s a better quality chardonnay in a sweeter, riper style, not grotesquely overoaked. A crowd pleaser. But I have no idea if it’s available where you are, or what it would cost there.

I wonder if there are some Languedoc chardonnays in your style that are easier to source in the UK.

Sarah,

I am not going to recommend specific wines since I have no knowledge of what is available where you live. However i might recommend that you try some other white varietals to determine if you like them or are interested in variety. There are many many inexpensive white wines available. Try some Rieslings, Muscats, Chenin Blanc, Grenache Blanc, etc. The list of affordable white wine goes on and on.

Don is spot on here. Experiment a bit and find a variety you like in your budget. I would look for some Vinho Verde from Portugal, albarino from Spain, cortese from Gavi in Piedmont, carricante from Etna in Sicily. Try to sneak in a bourgogne blanc from Burgundy in France (chardonnay) if you find one on special pricing.

happy drinking

Never apologize for what you like as far as taste. My goal would be to find something that isn’t industrial wine in the style that you like. Of course that’s harder on a strict budget but can be done, especially for white wine.

How about Rieslings with some residual sugar or even whites from the Rhône might be up your alley.

Welcome Sarah…when I think of good, affordable chardonnay I always think of a french Macon…everything from a St. Veran, Macon, Macon-Vire. Should be able to find them in the UK.

That’s what I was thinking. Heretiers de Lafon would be a good option, maybe something from Drouhin. Also consider Bourgogne blanc.

It you want to go into Vinhos Verdes I would suggest you check out Soalheiro. They’re a wonderful producer. Anselmo Mendes also makes wonderful whites in the Vinhos Verdes regions, such as Contacto and Curtimenta.

Drouhin’s Laforet Chardonnay is really solid, can find it for $10-15 in the US and I guzzle it in the summer.

Sarah,

If what you are seeking is a widely-available white that prices and tastes like Yellow Tail, then I really like the recommendation for the Aussie options like Lindemans. Jacob’s Creek probably fits the bill too. I don’t know pricing in the UK, but these compete at market here in the US. As for selection approach, I’d go on a mixer of some options, drink through them all to see how they go and then make your move or keep hunting if they are all duds.

The advice about other varietals and more artisan wines is fantastic if you want to engage the mental aspect and make a hobby of it. If you are just looking for a nice quaff, there’s plenty of low hanging fruit that doesn’t require a special search. For Berserkers, the search is the thrill and getting something that is “a little bit better” than the mass market offering is considered a goal. It may not be your goal.

Cheers,
fred

Sarah:

I would look for some Bourgogne Aligote. These are uncomplicated wines made in Burgundy that are akin to Chardonnay but have a lighter, more breezy air about them. They show citrus and stone and a touch of herb. They are fun and easy but increasingly have some of that richness you seem to like. You can find quality examples in the $15-$20 range. At this affordable price, you get a hint of the idea of terroir – or how individual plots of land express themselves differently in the glass. Much more so than a generic Yellow Tail (not that there’s anything wrong if that’s what you like.) This is just a good way to explore the idea of more precise winemaking and sense of place. Cheers.

If she doesn’t like “mineral flavours, apple, very acidic, grapefruit, too dry” (all descriptors for a lot of favorites around here), then maybe she won’t be into our favorite Burgundy satellite appellations like some of the ones listed above…maybe not dry Riesling (apple) either. There are probably any number of inexpensive California or Australian chardonnays that would be good but a step up over Yellow Tail in her preferred style. Woodbridge was a good recommendation. Also Viognier would probably work well.

don’t know if they are available in your area but Columbia Crest white wines might work…large production and reasonably priced and perhaps a bit more nuanced than Yellow Tail while still having some of the same characteristics that you were looking for.

Try whites from South Africa or Chile. Both have Chardonnay’s. I also feel like Sauvignon Blanc can have those tropical notes you mention. Chenin Blanc as well. You may want to try a German Riesling sometime. Not sure if you are bringing to outings or groups. If not, consider half bottles That way you can try more. chardonnay and Rieslings are sold in half bottles.