TN: 2014 Davenport Cellars Mr. B (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley)

• 2014 Davenport Cellars Mr. B - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (5/3/2020)
    Drank this over a few years [Edit!!! I obviously meant days here, not years…] . At first a bit fruit forward for me; then after a few days at first seemed a bit over oaky to me; but in the glass, after three days with about 2 inches left in the bottle, this really started to come together nicely. Lovely nose of dark fruits and spices, with some notes of leather. Really lovely in the mouth – very smooth, lovely fruit; subtle tannins now, and a slight decline in the mid palate that then grows into the finish. I am thinking this will develop well over the next 5, maybe even 10, years. Luckily I have 11 left so can follow this for a while! And as others have noted, what a fantastic qpr. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

My value wine of the year and past many years.

What does this cost?

$11.

Is this the winery that closed their doors and liquidated their inventory? Tough to call a close out a great value, if so, maybe buy of the year.

Yes. Was a great value at the original $22 price. Currently closing it out at $11. In the initial inventory reduction sale, it was selling for $7 or $8.

Andrew Demaree wrote: ↑Mon May 04, 2020 8:28 pm
$11.
Is this the winery that closed their doors and liquidated their inventory? Tough to call a close out a great value, if so, maybe buy of the year.

Still a good value! neener

Just got my mixed case today. Probably try one this weekend.

I live in WA and while I don’t know the family at Davenport or their pets, you are expousing a wine from a defunct business and I find that offensive, especially since it is from my home State. I suggest you stop “pimping” your close out find from a family that likely had their dream dashed.

Enough, it’s not a find, it’s a family that lost their business.

While I think the concern Kris raises in general is well placed and well meaning, I do not think it applies in this case. Jeff and Sheila planned to close their winery back in June of 2019, way before the COVID 19 downturn. I have met them briefly a few times recently as they have hand delivered their wine to me, and while I do not know them well and do not know their personal situation much either, I have a pretty good sense that they are doing fine. This is a choice they made, not a choice foisted on to them. You can read more of their story here: http://davenportcellars.com/about-us.asp

We are living in very hard times at the moment, and it is useful to be reminded that there is far more pain being felt out there than normal.

Oh I should also say, the wines are really excellent. I think some of the exuberance here is a discovery that some really excellent wines were being made here and I, at least, was not aware of them. Even at their original price they were quite good value, which is a testament to the great skill of the winemakers.

I have talked with them several times via emails and they have sold most of their wine the past 4 months from the post I started on this board. Nothing but appreciation to all who have bought. Sitting on inventory is not what they want and who knows if they will make wine in the future but they are sourcing from some of the best vineyards in the state. My wine discovery of the last year!!!

Ron, my post had nothing to do with Covid. It just has to do with empathy, and perhaps delivery. To state, what a great find and I would have bought the wines had I known at $22 is a better angle IMO. It’s been a long few months, my industry, friends , and peers are getting battered and any form or fashion of a pig pile probably sets me off unduly, but I’ll always defer to and protect the things , people and places I love.

Oh yes of course Kris. My understanding is not that Jeff and Sheila are closing because of economic issues (pre or post covid), but if you read their website it is a conscious choice to travel and spend more time with friends. Having said that, there are many who are selling cheap or closing not out of choice, but out of necessity. There empathy is certainly needed. And in fact I (perhaps like you) feel that empathy is always warranted – and is in sore supply these days, when perhaps we need it the most. Stay well, and hope to see you in person at an offline when all of this settles down.

You too Ron, be safe, drink well, and hope to see you soon, no wines are off limits!

Post 28 from Jeff Jirka explains it all. At full retail these are still some of the best values in Washington State. Right there with Kevin White.

Wife wanted a solid red and popped open another one. They are down to a few wines one the website. Continuity is down to only 14.

2014 Davenport Cellars Mr. B - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (5/21/2020)
Day 1: Another strong showing. Oak, blueberries, Bing cherries, dust and earth. Medium to long finish. Big style wine on this bottle. Those who like Napa Cabs would love this. 92 points
Day 2: Another level. Tastes like a $100 bottle of Napa Cab. Oak, blueberries, Bing cherries, vanilla, spice and floral notes. Medium to long finish. This will likely be my wine of the year for the money and it is only May. 94 points (94 points)

This bottle is the best yet. Just told Jeff to hold 2 cases for fall shipping.

Just bought another case of the Mr. B yesterday, myself.

2014 Davenport Cellars Mr. B - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (9/7/2020)
Day 1: This is the best bottle of the lot. Best QPR in my life. Blueberries, minerals, dust, wood, spice, menthol and dark chocolate. Long finish and concentrated. Balanced wine!!! 94 points (94 points)

Best one to date and last one!