TN: 2006 Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon Pritchard Hill Estate Vineyard

• 2006 Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon Pritchard Hill Estate Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (5/2/2020)
    2.5 hour decant. Deep garnet color. Classic aromas - cassis & currant fruit, allspice/clove/paprika spices, leather, worn cedar, hints of tobacco. Richly layered palate of ripe cassis & cherry, along with a melange of secondary spices, florals & tapenade, and some oak-driven notes. Broadly-framed, with massive middle density, well-balanced structure and plenty of flavor intensity. Thick & chewy round tannins with plenty of life. Plenty of lingering depth on the finish. Unapologetically hedonistic and ‘oughts’ Napa, but with compelling sturdiness and balance. I think this will continue to age nicely. If you like big and primary, drink - there’s enough integration to make this compelling. If you want a bit more elegance and classicism, age 5 to 10 more years. A classic wine indicative of its time and place. ****

Posted from CellarTracker

I have 1 btl so thanks for sharing your impressions. Do you have more experience with Pritchard Hill cabernets? Is it good example of this terroir? or the style of this wine can represent any sub AVA on valley floor?

Chappelet, Continuum, and David Arthur are probably the most classic producers on hill before you start heading towards cult-ier producers, Colgin, Brand, Bryant, Gandona and a couple I have never seen or had, Melanson being one who sounds classic.

Pretty limited real estate up there, but definitely Mountain Cab with more powerful tannin structures.

Thanks! I was wondering if Pritchard Hill terroir counts for moutain style ( such as cabernets from Howell, Spring, Diamond or Atlas Peak) or is more similiar to Oakville cabernets. I had a month ago Bryant 2002 and tannins were so soft that overall style reminded me the best wines I had from Oakville or Rutherford than let say Dunn 1994 which I had a few years ago.

I think Bryant is pretty polished. Dunn is probably an unfair comparison on other side of spectrum style-wise and 1994 before the modern style really started in 1997. The early Continuum wines were like a Mondavi Reserve from a mountain vineyard.

I find the truest expressions of mountain vineyards, in my expectation of blockier tannin structure and overall structure to be Howell Mountain and Mount Veeder.