TN: 2017 Matthiasson Pinot Noir & Nebbiolo Devorah Vineyard

• 2017 Matthiasson Pinot Noir & Nebbiolo Devorah Vineyard - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros (5/2/2020)
    An unusual, and perhaps unique blend, of 92% Pinot Noir and 8% Nebbiolo, this has the bright, effusive fruit of Carneros Pinot, along with an extra boost in structure from the Nebbiolo. The Nebbiolo also brings a distinct floral note. It’s a fun wine, that speaks to the adventurous spirit at Matthiasson.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks David, did not know about this wine. Your note makes me want to try one!

Tom

Yup, David. Had this wine last Sunday (TN to follow) Pretty much my same take on the wine. To me, Carneros Pinot often has more of an earthy character than the high-toned fruit you get from Sonoma Pinot. It reminded me a lot of the old Acacia Pinots of MikeRichmond. Didn’t seem to show much of Nebb on the nose but it certainly came thru on the palate w/ a structure in the finish. Quite an interesting wine. The vnyd is owned by a lady who used to work in Steve’s cellar. Not sure whether she’s going to finish grafting over the Nebb or not.
FrankMahoney used to have a Nebb block down in that area but he eventually grafted it over. No use beating your head against a brick wall trying to sell Nebb when Pinot is a much easier sell, though not necessarily a better wine. Frank’s Nebb was pretty good.
Tom

Tom,

According to Jill Matthiasson, the whole vineyard was grafted over. Some of the grafts did not take, leaving Nebbiolo vines.

I just drank this last night and agree that this is a fun, delicious wine. The nose was simply gorgeous. Perfect balance. Easy to drink, but not simple in any respect.