TN: NV Etienne Calsac Champagne L'échappée Belle Brut (France, Champagne)

• NV Etienne Calsac Champagne L’échappée Belle Brut - France, Champagne (5/2/2020)
    Tried from both the Zalto Champagne and a GGG. Showing much better from the Zalto, more focused nose and the fruit is more concentrated. Seems rougher from the GGG. All future notes are from the Zalto Champagne

Haunting nose, palate taut and smooth with precise bubbles. Notes of medium ripe peach and chalk. The lightest waft of brioche. With more air a distinct note of yellow plum starts intertwining itself. then later a hint of caramel softens the palate and the finish lengthens. Still later some fresh sea breezes start wafting through.

Very glad to have the chance to follow this over the course of an hour. A lovely Champagne.

Posted from CellarTracker

Edited to add: Still enjoyable but not nearly so lovely on the second day. Also, remember that this is a lighter styled Champagne so don’t pair it with strong flavors. Trying it with some Challahocker was a mistake.

You have a wonderful way with the words there, Jay!

Nice note, Jay. This producer is new to me…who is the importer?

I have 1 bottle of Calsac and I have yet to open it. It’s Les Rocheforts, Blanc de Blanc, and maybe I’ll get to it for one of these Zoom Champagne Saturdays when I don’t have anything from the producer that is featured.

If people continue to have an interest in these Champagne Zoom Virtual Visits, Etienne would make a great guest and we could certainly reach out to him. He is a rising star that still flies under the radar, but that can’t continue for much longer. He does great work with everything he touches and nails it right out of the box. Working with an old single plot, blending vineyards, focusing on the overlooked village of Bisseuil, making still wines, planting and now making wine from non-traditional grape varieties, etc… - you name it and he has done a dynamite job with each effort right form the first attempt.

the 18 coteaux he poured at chambers was insane. probably the best still wine from champagne i have tasted.

I first picked them up from Balanced Wine. They have been out of stock for some time though. I received some Clos de Maladries from Envoyer. I emailed Balanced Wine in hopes to get more and got this back:

Good morning Joshua,

We are still in the game with Calsac, but not sure what the future holds.
Our Champagne inventory has been depleted for now and we’ll figure out what our business looks like once this craziness ends.

Thank you for your interest and all the business you have sent our way.

Stay healthy,
Michael

Michael H. Weiss
Partner
Balanced Wine Selections LLC

I bought this from Chambers St. but they seem to be all out. It was a “discovery” at the last La Fete du Champagne I attended. By which I mean that a bunch of people on this board urged me to try them and I was smart enough to listen. My notes from that event may be found here: