Halcon 2018 Tasting Notes

As part of our Live Zoom tasting last week featuring rhone varieties, Paul and I traded wines, and I opened all 6 of these that night prior to the broadcast. Paul had recommended that I decant each wine, but as I was hanging out in a hotel room so that I could be close to my Mom to comfort her after the passing of my father, I did not have that luxury . . . so I tasted small amounts of each that night and found all of them really enjoyable and distinct.

Fast forward to last night - a full 8 days post that event. Each bottle had been opened, perhaps 100 mLs were taken out, and then the corks were put back as tightly as possible - and the wines had been stored in the styro shipper I had received from Paul, in my living room at about 65 degrees since.

I pulled the corks and was expecting to find wines that were ‘over the hill’ but this was not the case at all. In fact, these wines were all very much alive and had developed beautifully. To me, this is a great sign for what lay ahead for each of these, and a ‘cautionary tale’ that if opened now, they probably won’t show their ‘potential’ unless they are decanted and left to open for hours.

In any event, I wanted to share these so here goes (and sorry in advance for any spelling errors):

2018 Roussanne
Honey suckle and lemon verbena on the nose, opening up with some earthy butterscotch as well. It’s picked up more weight in the mouth, showing unexpected richness for the low alcohol level that this is, plus some wonderful acidity and a wonderful fresh lemon quality. Unbelievable for being open for 8 days . . .

2018 Grenache
This has really blossomed since opening, meaning that it is still so darned young. Bright fruit with a touch of herbaceousness, some pepper, and a touch of orange rind as well. No heat whatsoever – and great texture, too. If you are able to get your hands on this, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed – but I’d either sit on it for awhile or open it up and enjoy it over a really long evening . . .

2018 Mourvedre
Plum and cranberry and white pepper aromatics with a touch of oak; medium bodied with noticeable tannins and nice firm acidity as well. More fruit than funk at this point – but would be interested in laying this down for awhile to see where it goes.

2018 Esquito
High toned aromatics that speak of Grenache first, with some bright raspberry and cherry, white pepper and herbs de provence and a touch of black tea, with more structure than the Grenache, with a longer finish, most likely from the syrah. A wonderful blend that will only improve with age.

2018 Alturas
Dark cherry and pepper, a touch of kirsch, a touch of school glue (not a bad thing, by the way); good fruit intensity, great refreshing acidity and some gritty tannins; still quite young with a very long life ahead for those with the patience to let these sit

2018 Elevacion
More blue fruited than the Alturas, with noticeable pepper and a touch of anise and a some black tea, too; great intensity and a ramp up in structure that the Alturas.

In closing, buy with confidence . . .

Cheers!

4 Likes

I bet it’s tough to play wine critic when you are a winemaker. You do it with class Larry, well done my friend!

Brian,

I say it as I see it. These are some very interesting wines - not all were to my taste, but all were unique, distinct and enjoyable. For those that dig pepper in their wines (not bell pepper, that is - we’ll leave that to the Loire, thank you very much!!!), you should check these out. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend leaving them open, ungassed and not in the fridge, for as long as I did [snort.gif]

Cheers.

I never left those wines open for that long, but the notes are fair and specifically one of the things I like about the wines is that pepper note on some of them. Right now I’m making plans to pick up some Cinsault . . .

Suggest waiting on Elevacion as well?

Popped a 2018 Mourvedre tonight. I really like this wine. Lots of strawberry and white pepper. My wife was really surprised as this is very different than our normal Chinon and Barbera weekday wines. She picked up some cedar in addition to red fruit.

Just opened one of these myself! It’s showing brilliantly, even better than a year ago: a perfumed, flavorful middleweight with an identity all of its own.

1 Like

I think the Halcon wines are excellent across the board but the Roussanne is a standout for me.

Opened the ‘18 Esquito (PnP) last night — paired with some fire Tonkatsu ; wine showed beautifully! Really makes me wish I had more ….

1 Like

I hate to be that guy, but have any Halcón Vineyards fans opened the 2017 estate Mourvèdre?

I have read a significant amount of praise for the '18 vintage, but I don’t recall seeing any mention of the '17, apart from 3 notes on CellarTracker.

If memory serves, 2017 was the first year that Paul Gordon made a varietal bottling from this grape.

Well, I’m still at work, but I might be able to open one once I get home. Also, there are CT reviews which are all 91s and two unscored reviews, also good.

1 Like

You and me both man… I really love the syrahs too. But all three of the roussanne were so damn good.

Okay, took me a minute, but I did finally drink one of those 2017 Mourvedres this week. It was quite good, but maybe less dark and leathery than your usual Bandol or Sierra Foothills bottle. I liked it, and it probably is more flexible than some of those chewy sips. Nice brightness. I wouldn’t say it was acidic because that would be a bit off-putting to me in a Mourvedre, but it definitely cleaned your palate right up.

Have to order from the Fall release ASAP so I can get my bottles in a couple weeks. Also stocked up on the cellar-clearing sale.

1 Like

Did I miss the cellar clearing part?

As a fellow grower in the area, I’m wondering what the news is on the sale of the property.

They said there was to be another offer on the 09/09 I believe but I saw nothing. I love a shot at buying a few '19 Elevacions.

Email did go out on the 9th, I’d ping Paul.

Here is the link - https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a655fdf8fd4d283fb8693a6/t/613784846176130f0427b2a2/1631028356700/HalconFall2021Release.pdf

Paul

I opened one tonight. This wine is in a good place right now.

Just saw that Pax Mahle acquired the Halcon vineyard. Great news IMO.