When Will California Tasting Rooms Reopen?

When will California wineries be allowed to reopen for tastings? I feel incredibly selfish even thinking this could happen remotely soon, but I need something to look forward to. Even a glimmer of hope or tentative date. With many states allowing bars and restaurants to reopen (with headcount restrictions), why can’t California wineries follow suit? Make the tastings appointment only and limit the number of people?

Things will have to start relaxing in the next few weeks. What that will look like who knows.

I think the glassware is an issue; you’d have better off having the cost of the glass be part of the tasting cost.

Oregon is talking about opening in the next few weeks, but the timetable is not set as of yet. There are wineries that are putting together ‘tasting flights’ in smaller quantities for folks to pick up at the wineries or tasting rooms - not the same as being there but it’s the best that can be done right now.

And believe me, I can’t wait for visitors - and with my new patio approved, those who want to hang outside sipping on glasses of my new roses . . .

Cheers!

So, what’s going to be first: the tasting rooms or the beaches?

I have no expert opinion, but it seems that tasting rooms would be either Phase 3 or Phase 4. And via other sources online, it seems that 3’s have been told to think in terms of months, not weeks.

Of course, anything I read online is not necessarily true.

An event that = a mass gathering in CA in August was penciled in for me. As of a few days ago, officially cancelled. It was expected.

Day by day…

Commercial dishwashers sanitize with heat — usually near boiling water. That’s why even glasses that aren’t clean are actually still sanitary. Obviously mom and pop places with household dishwashers - or if there are any who hand wash - will need to be more careful (though they’re probably skirting health code violations that will be more strictly enforced going forward). Lots of wineries where I live in VA include a branded glass in a tasting, though, so clearly the economics can handle it.

We’d have to rescind the Shelter in Place order first, before opening the tasting rooms. Even then, what kind of tourism is reasonable to expect? Even from locals, I can’t imagine the tasting rooms will be full right away. I’d think there will be more than a few wineries who realize it will cost them more money to staff an open tasting room then leave it empty.

Beaches. That will be the first to get addressed here in Socal. Along with parks which beaches effectively are.

The pressure will be turned up this week because a heatwave is coming.

It’s a big deal.

The reasons for keeping things completely shut down are narrowing based on the data.

Clearly some thoughtful rules regarding access should be implemented.

This is not likely to well into summer maybe even later and that with the caveat that there not be more than 5 people in any of them. A tasting room is COVID heaven with people talking, spitting, servers pouring into glasses. Ouch

Tasting rooms are like bars and would seem to be among the last places to open. On a beach you can still be separate from other people but in a bar you’re first inside, second closer, and third drinking so you’re less likely to do the social distancing thing.

Plus, you know if they open tasting rooms people with kids are going to bring them along.

The ABC has informed licensees that it is illegal to open tasting rooms and the like. I just read this this
morning in the Family Winemakers’ newsletter.

All complaints about opened businesses are being investigated and the offending party told to shut down immediately. Those who don’t face losing their licenses.

Will the Southwestern section of California break off and fall into the ocean before the tasting rooms reopen?

Part of our latest SIP order, extending through the end of May, is a request to businesses to think through how they can safely reopen, while following safety guidelines, and an indication there may be some easing this month. It’s smart to be flexible and allow for customized innovative solutions.

Certainly, sit down tastings by appointment could be executed safely at many places.

Some wineries, like Sante Arcangeli, have shipped out small bottle tasting flights for weekly Zoom-type tastings with the winemakers. More often wineries are doing that where you’re all opening multiple 750s. Those appeal to current customers, encouraging their ongoing loyalty, which is certainly crucial.

50/50 chance, according to a certain Texas high school science teacher.

I would be very surprised if they do before the end of May. They just extended the Shelter in Place in the Bay area until the end of May.

I certainly hope it is sooner than the end of May. Since the laws are loosened, how about drive through wine tasting with common sense and mandated handling plus distance controls in place. Taste at the first group of stations in the parking lot, purchase from a second station or join the wine club at a third station. Driver not allowed to taste, increasing business for limo and personal driver companies locally.

I don’t know if i’d trust drunk people in a limo to practice social distancing and/or any other protective measures (i.e. mask while talking etc). Not only would the driver be at risk but also the Host at the winery.

Alcohol brings out the worst in people.

Tasting rooms are likely, and should be, among the last things to re-open. It’s not just that they are like bars. It’s like a bar that people will be making one stop among many. Wine country is like a bunch of mini airports. People from all over stopping here and there.

That said I think the end reality is that they can be treated like restaurants where spacing could be key. Serving might have to be different than pouring the same open bottle in front of the dozens of people at an open bar. It might have to be a more structured thing where each taste is poured into a fresh glass behind the bar and then served to each patron individually.

Seems to me wineries should really be trying to send out small samples to interested parties. Seems like it could be a win/win in the current environment although I’m not sure if there might be legal issues?

I wish they would offer this at all times, but it seems now might be the right time to implement on the winery’s side.