TN: 1990 Lynch Bages

Decanted for about 4 hours and served with steaks. Noticed I left the price tag on this when I bought the bottle at retail in the early 90’s. $36.99 (sigh). To think I only bought a half case…

Dark crimson in color. 12.5% ABV. Stunning aromas of red fruits, cigar box, forest floor and saddle leather that literally filled the cellar while the wine decanted. Warm and supple with concentrated fruits and silky yet firm tannins. The wine shows remarkably young and fresh. Black cherry, creme de cassis, currants and plums on the palate. The finish is exceptionally long and seamless. Despite decanting for almost four hours the wine continued to show better throughout the evening. You can drink this now or give it more time. It will show well for decades to come.

My rating: 100 points.

Full review on Zinfandel Chronicles: http://www.zinfandelchronicles.com/2020/04/1990-chateau-lynch-bages-bottle-notes/

Tom
LB img.jpg
IMG_2212-e1588208606671.jpg

Great stuff. Wish I had (more than) a few in my cellar, especially at that price!

Cheers.

I still have a few of these, but will drink the 82s and 88s first as I think that the 90 is a long hold wine. Also have a bottle of the 1970 I had forgotten about but IIRC there isn’t too much risk there either. The 1990 is an excellent wine, though I would put the Montrose and probably the Angelus a bit above it. Glad you had an enjoyable bottle and thanks for the note.

Thanks for your notes on 1990 Lynch Bages, and it encouraged me buy a bottle at auction here in Melbourne for Au$410 two days ago. newhere

Beautiful note, Tom. Made me smile so hugely when reading this just now.

Thanks Nick!

Tom

Thank you Tom for the note and others for chiming in! I’d actually stood up this very bottle (my one and only) for a steak dinner tomorrow, but this thread has convinced me to give it a couple more years (I like Bordeaux on the older side). I’ll be doing a 1990 l’Evangile instead [cheers.gif]