Best wine store in Missouri?

I want to send a friend some wine and just learned Missouri is no longer open for shipping. So i will need to buy in Missouri. Recommendations?

What wine are you looking to send? I generally find the retail shops here in St. Louis to be overpriced, but The Wine & Cheese Place tends to have some of the better selection.

Brown Derby in Springfield worth checking out.

Berserker Jim Coley runs the Gomer’s Wine & Spirits shop in Kansas City, and it’s a terrific place with a superb selection. Lots and lots of cool kinky stuff.

Know which store?

Wine and Cheese Place is pretty weak, in my opinion. I would steer your friend to the Wine Merchant if they live in St Louis.

Brown Derby in Springfield is pretty good, too.

I have wine shipped to St. Louis all the time (just received a case earlier this week), so not sure the statement “Missouri is no longer open for shipping” is accurate…unless something changed in the last couple of days. I suggest calling a UPS Store in close proximity to your friend and check with them, but the one near me in St. Louis definitely accepts and signs for my wine shipments. For a nominal $5/box fee, I just pick it up from the UPS Store when it’s convenient for me to do so. Then again, my shipments are coming direct from wineries, so maybe(?) that’s the difference. If so, labeling the shipment as ‘olive oil’ may do the trick…and you might be able to ship direct to your friend by doing so. A little shifty, yes, but probably effective.

If that does not work, in St. Louis, I prefer Lukas Wine and Spirits in Ellisville (but must admit, their online selection is not complete; they have more than what’s represented), but concur with an earlier post about The Wine and Cheese Place as a good source too. Good luck!

I believe he is no longer affiliated with Gomer’s. He is currently running Ca Va wine bar, of which I believe he’s an owner.

In Mo, Wine and Cheese, Wine Merchant, and Brown Derby are all good options. Parker’s Table (no affiliation with RMP!) are good people as well. None of them will beat coastal pricing or selection, but all are decent options if you’re just looking to send a bottle.

I find Wine Merchant to be more limited in their selection, and their markups on most bottles worth buying are ridiculous.

You did see he was looking for a WINE store… champagne.gif ?

He? Who’s kinky now? [oops.gif]

Won’t beat west coast pricing, but surely beats east coast pricing.

From my time in St. Louis the store of choice is really dependent upon your choice of Region, though Brown Derby would seem to span all regions well with a great mix of current and aged wines. When they had a shop in St. Louis County I would spend a bunch of time there. I have also spent may hours at the Wine and Cheese Place, all of them. I have never been seeking much in the way of Burgundy, so the Wine Merchant only saw me a few times.

Good luck with the hunt.

It might be worth noting that Wine and Cheese Place has maybe 1/20th of their inventory online and Wine Merchant has none, so remote shopping is difficult at either, unless you are willing to call and talk with someone willing to walk around at your direction. Brown Derby at least seems to have a real website.

Brown Derby
Wine Merchant - for Burgundy
Wine and Cheese Place (Clayton Store - best location)
St. Louis Wine Market

Wasn’t there a shop called Wine Chateau years ago? I know the one in NJ is still up but I recall buying from them many years ago.

The Wine Chateau in St. Louis used to be our ‘go to’ wine store, but I’m pretty sure it was independently owned (not a chain/franchise; but I could be wrong). Unfortunately, the couple that owned the one in St. Louis apparently went through a nasty divorce. They kept it afloat for a year (maybe two?) afterwards, but eventually closed up shop. Don’t know whether it was financial or personal reasons, but regardless, at it’s peak, they were definitely kicking some @ss and taking market share. Sadly, no more.

Didn’t know Jim is no longer here, but here is the contact info

Gomer’s Midtown Fine Wines & Spirits
3826 Broadway
Kansas City, MO 64111

(816) 756-2376
www.gomers.com

Really cool store (I was there in 2011)

thanks

Amagoni Urban Winery in Kansas City. Really good wine and solid QPR!