TN: 2017 François Lumpp Givry 1er Cru Petit Marole Rouge

Michael Chang’s right - these are a knockout.

Right off the bat, the depth of the nose is really surprising for a wine of this level. It’s all dark red fruits, and there’s already a really lovely undercurrent of forest floor which is surprising for a wine this young. Mouthfilling, with good structure but not at all tough or astringent and still fresh and lively. A light peppery finish. What I really like about this wine is that it’s concentrated but not at all jammy or extracted and a great example of rusticity without being crude or coarse.

I only have one more bottle of this but I’m tempted to put it away for a little awhile to see if it develops even more of the sous-bois character. The quality to price ratio is undeniable; between this and the François Raquillet I had last month, the Côte Chalonnaise is quickly becoming a staple of my diet.

Great note!

I’ve been a huge cheerleader for these for some time. I love that others agree.

But we may be nearing an inflection point where people need to shhhhhh…

What’s your favourite Lumpp wine? I’ve just got this and the Clos des Vignes Rondes white, but I’ll be stocking up where I can.

Also, can’t help it - I’m too selfless when it comes to affordable Burgundy [cheers.gif]

The vineyard Weinlagen

Great note. I drank a bottle of Lumpp Givry at Chez Panisse BP (Before Pandemic) and it was outstanding, so good with the food. Don’t remember which bottling.