Friday night "sausage & peppers" TNs: Three from Stella di Campalto

Taking a break from pizza tonight, as my youngest daughter was complaining about our typical Friday night theme. So sausage, peppers & onions on grilled baguette tonight.

With the caveat that I may not be totally unbiased as I love Stella’s wines, but trying these three back-to-back tonight, I was probably smiling from ear to ear. Three wines that truly wake up your palate and make to take notice. Unfortunately, she has gotten so popular that the physical act of tracking new vintages down has become a chore, but if these three bottles are any indication, she is on a serious roll.

• 2010 Azienda Agricola San Giuseppe Brunello di Montalcino Stella di Campalto Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (5/1/2020)
    Wow, young and primary but oh so delicious. Gorgeous focused nose here with sweet/ripe cherry fruit and menthol. On the palate, kind of half way between clenched and expansive - you can sense this is still holding something back, but it’s definitely not a waste to drink at this point.

I would say that if you only have 1 or 2, continue to hold. But otherwise, if you haven’t tried this yet and you like to see a wine at different points in it’s evolution, this is pretty cool right now.

Rosso doesn’t get much better than this - lighter-bodied, pristinely focused nose of bright cherry fruit, and expansive on the palate - in a word, delicious, and a wine that goes down dangerously easy.

While the nose is not as effusive as the '12, it seems so much more serious and primary. Or to put it another way, the 2012 may not ever drink better than it does right now, whereas this wine just seems to be scratching the surface of its ultimate potential.

Posted from CellarTracker

Do you have any takeout options? [cheers.gif]

RT

I’m a big fan of her wines as well. Was one of my favorite visits in Tuscany.

I forget the exact percentage, but over 90% (and I think it’s high 90’s in most vintages) of the grapes used to make the Rosso come from classified Brunello vineyards.

I agree with you that the 2010 is definitely very pleasurable right now.