TN: 2017 Domaine Mongeard-Mugneret Bourgogne Hautes-Côtes de Nuits "Les Dames Hughettes"

Just got a shipment of 2017 Mongeard-Mugneret in today. Was excited because I have never tried this Domaine, but the reviews were good and the prices couldn’t be beat, so I bought a few bottles to sample. Certainly did not disappoint. I can’t believe I paid under $30 for this bottle! From Burgundy! Makes me feel like I’m back in 2010. [wow.gif]

Was super impressed with the thickness of the glass and the weight on the bottle. Then popped it open to reveal a respectable 50mm regular cork. Pop and pour into Riedel Somm Burg. (Unfortunately my Grassl and Glasvin shipments haven’t arrived yet.)

Nice viscosity out of the bottle. Young, fresh nose of black cherry, raspberry and warm spice within 2 minutes in the glass. Vibrant acidity with balanced weight on the palate with red cherry, lightly toasted wood, savory notes. Long and lingering, satisfying finish.

After 30 min in the glass it transforms with more red cherry nose, still spice but more crushed shell. Palate is even more weightless and chewy with bright fruit and deep earthy spice on the finish.

Stayed solid for 3 hours and never lost any luster or turned bitter.

Truly shows the magnificence of the winemaker to turn average grapes into a really solid experience. Of course it’s a solid village level wine and no one is going to confuse it for a 1er Cru, but at this price point, in this day and age, I’m impressed and very satisfied. I went to buy cases more but unfortunately my supplier was sold out. I contacted the importer to try to track down some more. I could drink this every day and at this price one could practically afford to.