Zoom Event--Laurent Champs of Vilmart & Brad Baker--Saturday, May 9th @ 10AM PT, 1PM ET

We march on. Since a number of us love Champagne (including me!), we will continue to connect to the brilliant folks in the Champagne world, this time going into the village of Rilly-la-Montagne to meet Laurent Champs, owner and winemaker of Vilmart. Joining Laurent will be the wisdom of Brad Baker to help us color in the richness of the event.

For context about Vilmart, I visited in 2018 (capturing the photos below, too). I visited because I had a real connection to the Vilmart wines, the acidity and balance, the freshness that I continued to find bottle after bottle. Even as most recently when we opened a 2008 Grand Cellier d’Or, which was fresh, bright and aging so beautifully, it was once again a validation that for me, when I want to open Champagne for people who really want to experience the richness and beauty of the area, this is the producer who does it about as well as anyone.

Laurent will be taking us on a tour of some parts of the domaine (as able based on cell/wifi connection), talking about his range of wines, the vineyards and the philosophy that guides his domaine. I can assure you this will be a wonderful event with Laurent and Brad, as we continue to find ways to create joy and share it with each other in these times. Note–we expect this event to max out so you are welcome to get the link by following the short instructions below.

Stay safe everyone, and keep finding and sharing joy with each other.

TO BE PART OF THE EVENT, PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING. THANK YOU.

Date/Time: Saturday, May 9th @ 10AM PT / 1PM ET / 1700 Paris

Theme: If you own Vilmart, open one. Or, you can choose to open another Champagne as you may have done during Mousse or Marie Courtin, and enjoy the event.

How To Connect: To get the Zoom link to connect to the event, send a private message to Frank Murray III. I will then send you the link in a private reply. Once you receive the link, please do NOT forward it.

We’ll be muting everyone’s audio so we can eliminate background noise. You’ll also be optioned to turn on your camera if you like…just come to learn, share and be part of the fellowship we are creating.
Rilly-la-Montagne.jpg
Rilly again.jpg
The Plain Between Rilly and Chigny.jpg
Big City Life In The Village.jpg
The Front.jpg
Press Again.jpg
Bottles Resting.jpg
Aging.jpg
2008 CdC.jpg
Laurent Champs.jpg

Laura and I are so ready for this!

Ha! Nordhoff said to wake him up when you got Champs. You did.

Nice job!!!

Sounds great! PM sent (which is apparently stuck in my outbox).

I emailed him immediately after our practice session ended. This WILL max out, so if you have any interest at all, please PM Frank, and we might have to hand out more than 125/150 invites, even though only 100 can get in. If you get on late, keep trying, as inevitably people log off

I will lock up the kid for this one.

Duct tape and Benadryl

Steve may get a visit from CPS if we allow this conversation to evolve. Steve, you know, you can do both, although maybe not as successfully to your high standards, but you can connect and watch that beautiful boy of yours. [truce.gif]

He would probably watch with me champagne.gif

Come on…are these real names? Laurent Champs…Cedric Mousse…? Is there a Francois Disgorge…or Pierre Tirage…Dom Perignon…jeeze! [wow.gif]

champagne.gif

Frank, you’ve managed to schedule two of my favorite domaines in back to back weeks, thanks I can’t wait for either. Maybe we can get a sweep and get Aurelian Laherte or Olivier Krug for 3/16?

So awesome

Already in the works with Olivier, hope it pans out! champagne.gif

Brad and I are both thinking about some other guests to arrange, with a vision to stay with these on Saturday for as long as we can do it, for as long as you may want them held.

And credit here goes to Brad for locking in Laurent. This is the the kind of strength Brad brings to the community here, which for me is a huge benefit that I appreciate very much.

Remember, if you want to attend this event next Saturday, you need to get the link from me via PM. We’ve had good response thus far, and on a personal note, I am really looking forward to this one. For as much as Cedric Mousse was so good, you can expect the same strong content from a guy of Laurent’s experience and deep heart he has for his wines and the work he does.

Marked it down in the correct time slot. Looks good!

For those coming on next Saturday for this, think about what you will bring to the event to drink?

To get this started, I will be opening a 2013 Grand Cellier d’Or.

I am going to check the cellar. Thinking an NV of some sort. Probably Grand Cellier.

Going Grand Cellier here. Have a bottle of 07 Coeur de Cuvee I would love to open if it wasn’t still sitting where I purchased it (can’t justify a drive into the city 30 minutes away just to pick it up during current times)

May I sneak into this one?

Is it possible for you to ‘sneak’ into anything, Jay? neener