when to drink Jadot Clos St. Denis/Domaine Gagey?

So, Jadot Clos Saint Denis. For a long time, despite apparently being quite rare/low production (Cellartracker records only a couple of dozen cases held in the U.S.), this wine, like a lot of Jadot Grand Crus, was pretty low priced for a significant Cotes de Nuit grand cru. Since I look for relative bargains, that led me to accumulate a small vertical of them – I have 2005, 2006, 2009, and 2012. All are Domaine Gagey.

My question is, what style is this wine in and when should I start drinking them? I am past the initial release window on all of these, but is it an appellation/producer style that requires really long aging, or is it something that you can start drinking in the 10-20 year window? What is the style like?

Because they are pretty rare there aren’t actually that many tasting notes on CT so it is hard to check in for recent notes on specific vintages, and the threads on Jadot CSD on this board mostly concentrate on the difference between the negociant and Gagey bottlings without much discussion of actual tasting notes.

I have enough bottles that I could perhaps burn one to check in, but not enough that I am really comfortable doing that, and I definitely don’t have enough to do that for each vintage. (I am longest in 2012). Any thoughts?

This like most other Jadot grand cru is gonna need some time. The 97 I had a couple years ago was just hitting its stride. I wouldn’t drink any of yours for quite awhile.

I agree with Michael

I would hold on all of those.

Hi Marcus.

Well, for me… I would wait till they are 30+yr (except maybe the 2012). However, if recall correctly, you like that interim period where they are just starting to shed youthful fruit, tannins and slightly softer and a hint of maturity. SO I would say for you:

the 2006 - try in 2025, the 2005 try a couple years after. I actually think you could try the 2009 and 2012s in the next couple years. They tend to be plusher and and should give enjoyment sooner.

If you are planning a vertical of the CSD, aiming for 2030 is good, and not before 2025. By 2030 all should be in their prime drinking times. My guess is that in 2030 the only one you might regret not having drunk earlier is the 2006. With multiple bottles, you might try one 2006 and/or 2009 within the next five years.

I wouldn’t group ‘12 with ‘09; I think 12 is a vintage built for the long haul, sort of like a slightly riper ‘14. I think 09 is probably likely to be accessible the earliest. 05 will take the longest; probably 06 will be the next to be rdy to drink. 00 or 01, and maybe 07 are most rdy to drink from that decade.

Ha – Eric, you know me very well! Love that balance of some youthful fruit and early maturity. Miss our dinners together, hopefully those will be safe to resume in the not too faraway future.

This is one of the slowest evolving wines at Jadot, even the Musigny and Bonnes Mares are ready sooner.