de Negoce offer

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 542
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#951 Post by MatthewT » July 23rd, 2020, 1:48 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 1:39 pm
For all of you who are hoping that these wines are 'identical' to a specific producer - it sounds like CH is purchasing wine and bottling it himself, not relabeling something that's already out there. And therefore it could be 'overages' of a specific blend - OR it could be extra wine that didn't make the cut for a specific producer's product line. So if a SCM pinot does not have the same acid or structure one expects from a specific producer, it does not mean it is not from one of said producers at all. Something to think about . . .

Cheers.
Totally true. For A LOT of the wines, this is the case. For others (the earlier stuff) it seemed like it was shiners or identical.

It's a complicated model!
I'm a Turk

Nick F.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 240
Joined: January 5th, 2019, 11:51 am

Re: de Negoce offer

#952 Post by Nick F. » July 23rd, 2020, 2:01 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 1:39 pm
For all of you who are hoping that these wines are 'identical' to a specific producer - it sounds like CH is purchasing wine and bottling it himself, not relabeling something that's already out there. And therefore it could be 'overages' of a specific blend - OR it could be extra wine that didn't make the cut for a specific producer's product line. So if a SCM pinot does not have the same acid or structure one expects from a specific producer, it does not mean it is not from one of said producers at all. Something to think about . . .

Cheers.
This has always been my question on this. In some cases CH specifically says a vineyard bottle price, others he doesn't. Can we assume when he does its overrun and when he doesn't its a personal blend.

I.e. the difference between 21 and 22, same vineyard, 1 meant for bottling another that sounds more like a house blend of extra juice from the vineyard
i a s c o n e

User avatar
larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 8245
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:26 am
Location: Santa Ynez Valley, CA

Re: de Negoce offer

#953 Post by larry schaffer » July 23rd, 2020, 2:02 pm

Hopefully Cameron will get on here and discuss, but as you can imagine, there is TONS of extra juice out there waiting to be bottled from so many darned producers - and they are anxious to free up both tank and barrel space for harvest 2020.

Happy hunting!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 542
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#954 Post by MatthewT » July 23rd, 2020, 2:30 pm

Nick F. wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 2:01 pm
larry schaffer wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 1:39 pm
For all of you who are hoping that these wines are 'identical' to a specific producer - it sounds like CH is purchasing wine and bottling it himself, not relabeling something that's already out there. And therefore it could be 'overages' of a specific blend - OR it could be extra wine that didn't make the cut for a specific producer's product line. So if a SCM pinot does not have the same acid or structure one expects from a specific producer, it does not mean it is not from one of said producers at all. Something to think about . . .

Cheers.
This has always been my question on this. In some cases CH specifically says a vineyard bottle price, others he doesn't. Can we assume when he does its overrun and when he doesn't its a personal blend.

I.e. the difference between 21 and 22, same vineyard, 1 meant for bottling another that sounds more like a house blend of extra juice from the vineyard
I think he's purposely vague and when he can say "identical" or put a price he loves to do it cause it helps sales! If he doesn't, you should take note. For #22, he didn't. So this is prob just a blend that was never put for sale. Doesn't mean it won't be fantastic though.
I'm a Turk

User avatar
G. D y e r
Posts: 2263
Joined: December 26th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#955 Post by G. D y e r » July 23rd, 2020, 10:07 pm

Sean_S wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 1:02 pm
Richard Jen wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 11:16 am
Sean_S wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 9:50 am


Yup, mine showed up today. Its pinot, its a little warm on the palate. seems shocked needs time. Based on the acidity level alone its not Mt Eden, Rhys, or Fogarty. Or its at least not typical of the wines they make.
Thanks for the update. Is the acidity high or low? Too early to tell whether it's a quality wine worth the price?
Its on the lower side, not the acidity to you typically see on those top producers. I will reserved judgement for a few months and then properly review... Its not bad at the moment. Certainly no ripe cola flavors or other industrial nonsense is a good start.
Sounds reasonable. I figured at 14.5% ABV, it's not going to align with the typical style of the top end producers in terms of acidity and structure. I'll give it some time before popping the first bottle.
Greg

In that way, he is like cornerback Darrelle Revis, deserving of his own island, Mangold Island, if you will. “That would be a rusty, filthy island where people wear ripped jeans and stay in hotel rooms that are half price,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “But they would serve wine, and only the finest for Nick Mangold.”

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 437
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 10:45 pm
Location: SF Bay Area - Mid Peninsula

Re: de Negoce offer

#956 Post by JonathanG » July 24th, 2020, 12:33 pm

looks like the momentum is slowing down a bit on these, OG22 is still available and there were <300 cases for sale. Perhaps some folks are doing math and realizing they can't keep buying these forever?
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 542
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#957 Post by MatthewT » July 24th, 2020, 12:48 pm

JonathanG wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 12:33 pm
looks like the momentum is slowing down a bit on these, OG22 is still available and there were <300 cases for sale. Perhaps some folks are doing math and realizing they can't keep buying these forever?
OG 22 was a weaker of the offerings. It was 1) at the highest price point and 2) lacked a "sells at the winery for..." pitch. So it makes sense.

I bought because I believe it's Robert Craig and I take a perverse view that the more attractive lots are the HIGHER priced ones not the lower.
I'm a Turk

David Buck
Posts: 239
Joined: February 15th, 2015, 3:50 pm
Location: Guilford, CT

Re: de Negoce offer

#958 Post by David Buck » July 24th, 2020, 12:54 pm

MatthewT wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 12:48 pm
JonathanG wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 12:33 pm
looks like the momentum is slowing down a bit on these, OG22 is still available and there were <300 cases for sale. Perhaps some folks are doing math and realizing they can't keep buying these forever?
OG 22 was a weaker of the offerings. It was 1) at the highest price point and 2) lacked a "sells at the winery for..." pitch. So it makes sense.

I bought because I believe it's Robert Craig and I take a perverse view that the more attractive lots are the HIGHER priced ones not the lower.
But OG21 was higher price point by 5 bucks...no???

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 542
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#959 Post by MatthewT » July 24th, 2020, 12:56 pm

David Buck wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 12:54 pm
MatthewT wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 12:48 pm
JonathanG wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 12:33 pm
looks like the momentum is slowing down a bit on these, OG22 is still available and there were <300 cases for sale. Perhaps some folks are doing math and realizing they can't keep buying these forever?
OG 22 was a weaker of the offerings. It was 1) at the highest price point and 2) lacked a "sells at the winery for..." pitch. So it makes sense.

I bought because I believe it's Robert Craig and I take a perverse view that the more attractive lots are the HIGHER priced ones not the lower.
But OG21 was higher price point by 5 bucks...no???
Nah, that's if you paid for the shipping HOLD (which I did). I think he just priced them the same and ate the hold. I don't think he tried to price it 40 cents/bottle cheaper. lol
I'm a Turk

User avatar
T. Hall
Posts: 34
Joined: May 24th, 2020, 7:14 am
Location: Virginia

Re: de Negoce offer

#960 Post by T. Hall » July 24th, 2020, 1:01 pm

I would like to see him offer an occaisonal white... know if he is planning any? [In addition to N.12]
Last edited by T. Hall on July 24th, 2020, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Hall -- Instagram: thallva

David Buck
Posts: 239
Joined: February 15th, 2015, 3:50 pm
Location: Guilford, CT

Re: de Negoce offer

#961 Post by David Buck » July 24th, 2020, 1:02 pm

MatthewT wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 12:56 pm
David Buck wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 12:54 pm
MatthewT wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 12:48 pm


OG 22 was a weaker of the offerings. It was 1) at the highest price point and 2) lacked a "sells at the winery for..." pitch. So it makes sense.

I bought because I believe it's Robert Craig and I take a perverse view that the more attractive lots are the HIGHER priced ones not the lower.
But OG21 was higher price point by 5 bucks...no???
Nah, that's if you paid for the shipping HOLD (which I did). I think he just priced them the same and ate the hold. I don't think he tried to price it 40 cents/bottle cheaper. lol
OK..yeah I think lot of people bought 21...and since 22 is same vineyard nobody wants same thing again...

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 542
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#962 Post by MatthewT » July 24th, 2020, 1:15 pm

David Buck wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 1:02 pm
MatthewT wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 12:56 pm
David Buck wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 12:54 pm


But OG21 was higher price point by 5 bucks...no???
Nah, that's if you paid for the shipping HOLD (which I did). I think he just priced them the same and ate the hold. I don't think he tried to price it 40 cents/bottle cheaper. lol
OK..yeah I think lot of people bought 21...and since 22 is same vineyard nobody wants same thing again...
It's not remotely same thing though. From different AVA's.
I'm a Turk

john mccarty
Posts: 12
Joined: June 18th, 2020, 11:32 am

Re: de Negoce offer

#963 Post by john mccarty » July 24th, 2020, 1:45 pm

T. Hall wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 1:01 pm
I would like to see him offer an occasional white... know if he is planning any? [In addition to N.12]
There are 2 whites still up for sale on the denegoce.com website. In addition to lot 12 (a Napa Chard) there is also lot 16 (a 2019 Sonoma Sauvignon Blanc). Both sound delicious at a reasonable price.

In case you weren't aware, you can find what's still available (or what has sold out) by putting "OG" into the search box on the website.

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 477
Joined: November 25th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#964 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » July 24th, 2020, 5:04 pm

The guessing as to why each offer sells out quickly or not reminds me of people guessing why stocks go up or down.

DanielP
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 689
Joined: October 5th, 2015, 7:21 pm
Location: NYC

Re: de Negoce offer

#965 Post by DanielP » July 24th, 2020, 5:08 pm

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 5:04 pm
The guessing as to why each offer sells out quickly or not reminds me of people guessing why stocks go up or down.
Stocks only go up
P@ik

Chr!s G|@rn3r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 477
Joined: November 25th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#966 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r » July 24th, 2020, 5:10 pm

DanielP wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 5:08 pm
Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 5:04 pm
The guessing as to why each offer sells out quickly or not reminds me of people guessing why stocks go up or down.
Stocks only go up
As far as I’ve heard. Weird.

User avatar
Curtis Chen
Posts: 1171
Joined: June 27th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#967 Post by Curtis Chen » July 24th, 2020, 6:13 pm

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 5:10 pm
DanielP wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 5:08 pm
Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 5:04 pm
The guessing as to why each offer sells out quickly or not reminds me of people guessing why stocks go up or down.
Stocks only go up
As far as I’ve heard. Weird.
Stonks** 🚀
Add me on CellarTracker: C Chen

User avatar
mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2136
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 8:48 am

Re: de Negoce offer

#968 Post by mattcitrang » July 25th, 2020, 5:18 am

OG #26 RR Chard

“Liquid Sex”?

David Buck
Posts: 239
Joined: February 15th, 2015, 3:50 pm
Location: Guilford, CT

Re: de Negoce offer

#969 Post by David Buck » July 25th, 2020, 5:39 am

T. Hall wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 1:01 pm
I would like to see him offer an occaisonal white... know if he is planning any? [In addition to N.12]
ESP

User avatar
T. Hall
Posts: 34
Joined: May 24th, 2020, 7:14 am
Location: Virginia

Re: de Negoce offer

#970 Post by T. Hall » July 25th, 2020, 5:47 am

David Buck wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 5:39 am
T. Hall wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 1:01 pm
I would like to see him offer an occaisonal white... know if he is planning any? [In addition to N.12]
ESP
He's listening.... [thumbs-up.gif]
Last edited by T. Hall on July 25th, 2020, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Hall -- Instagram: thallva

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 542
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#971 Post by MatthewT » July 25th, 2020, 7:08 am

Never got #26 email to either email account. Also is #23 new!?

I have enough White, it's not for me it's for family member. I just don't drink it.

https://www.denegoce.com/products/og-n- ... 3ca2&_ss=r
I'm a Turk

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 542
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#972 Post by MatthewT » July 25th, 2020, 7:13 am

I signed up for the email again and got a new "welcome" email that some of you will find interesting (I bolded the interesting parts).

I source a compelling wine and offer it to those of you on our mailing list. So far, every lot has sold out with 24 hours of release. In the future, I anticipate some larger Lots will be offered in tranches with slightly higher prices with each new tranche.

The wine is then bottled within a month of the offer and shipped to you shortly thereafter. Currently, however, we are usually bottling the week after the offer is presented.

Since we are now deeply into Summer and Fall is only a few months away, we are now holding and storing wines at 58 degrees until our next shipping date of October 12th, after the summer heat has passed.

There are a variety of different wines from different CA appellations and we are expanding into Oregon and Washington as well.
SMS instant messaging is coming soon for instant offer notification.
I'm a Turk

DanielP
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 689
Joined: October 5th, 2015, 7:21 pm
Location: NYC

Re: de Negoce offer

#973 Post by DanielP » July 25th, 2020, 7:18 am

#22 disappeared for whatever reason
P@ik

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 437
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 10:45 pm
Location: SF Bay Area - Mid Peninsula

Re: de Negoce offer

#974 Post by JonathanG » July 25th, 2020, 8:13 am

MatthewT wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 7:08 am
Never got #26 email to either email account. Also is #23 new!?
You must be on his naughty list so he's cutting you out!
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

User avatar
Br1an Th0rne
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 409
Joined: May 28th, 2009, 9:37 pm
Location: Just outside of Philly

Re: de Negoce offer

#975 Post by Br1an Th0rne » July 25th, 2020, 8:17 am

mattcitrang wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 5:18 am
OG #26 RR Chard

“Liquid Sex”?
Is Jeff Leve writing his promotional material now champagne.gif

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 542
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#976 Post by MatthewT » July 25th, 2020, 8:21 am

JonathanG wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 8:13 am
MatthewT wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 7:08 am
Never got #26 email to either email account. Also is #23 new!?
You must be on his naughty list so he's cutting you out!
So weird. Just got #26 email to ONE of the email accounts. 3 hours after friends received them.
I'm a Turk

Toby P
Posts: 60
Joined: May 7th, 2018, 6:44 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#977 Post by Toby P » July 25th, 2020, 8:32 am

Damn, Washington and Oregon expansion is gonna be fun! It’s taken all my willpower to only buy one case so far but a nice looking Oregon pinot could break me.

Btw every offer selling out in 24 hrs is definitely false right? Not sure why he needs to make that claim, he’s had incredible success and could just say most have? Maybe I’m misunderstanding
P r a t t

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2612
Joined: September 17th, 2009, 8:41 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#978 Post by Nate Simon » July 25th, 2020, 9:01 am

Surprised the Chardonnay offer didn’t end up in my spam folder. 😆

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 542
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#979 Post by MatthewT » July 25th, 2020, 9:08 am

Toby P wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 8:32 am
Damn, Washington and Oregon expansion is gonna be fun! It’s taken all my willpower to only buy one case so far but a nice looking Oregon pinot could break me.

Btw every offer selling out in 24 hrs is definitely false right? Not sure why he needs to make that claim, he’s had incredible success and could just say most have? Maybe I’m misunderstanding
Yah not true but might have been true when he wrote the email, though the whites have never sold out. All reds have sold out <24 hours I believe except maybe this last one #22 might have taken a bit more but it's gone now.

So it's mostly true, lol
I'm a Turk

Adam Piper
Posts: 5
Joined: July 10th, 2020, 6:53 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#980 Post by Adam Piper » July 25th, 2020, 9:17 am

My wife isn’t going to be happy when the Oregon offerings begin...

Does anyone have speculation on how deNegoce will affect the quality of CHWines - which Cameron is still doing videos for?

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 542
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#981 Post by MatthewT » July 25th, 2020, 9:23 am

Adam Piper wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 9:17 am
My wife isn’t going to be happy when the Oregon offerings begin...

Does anyone have speculation on how deNegoce will affect the quality of CHWines - which Cameron is still doing videos for?
I have never bought from CH Wines but since de Negoce launched they have offered just *one* new Cab and it's from Santa Barbara. So in some ways the two ventures aren't even competing with each other. Guessing Cam is not sourcing wine for them?
I'm a Turk

User avatar
T. Hall
Posts: 34
Joined: May 24th, 2020, 7:14 am
Location: Virginia

Re: de Negoce offer

#982 Post by T. Hall » July 25th, 2020, 9:51 am

Months ago I bought the CH napa chard lot 706 and the Oregon Rogue Valley chard lot 672. I will give the edge to the Rogue as I prefer a leaner style, but both are solid.
Tom Hall -- Instagram: thallva

Benjg
Posts: 6
Joined: July 7th, 2020, 7:20 am

Re: de Negoce offer

#983 Post by Benjg » July 25th, 2020, 10:53 am

OG 26 “Liquid Sex” sold out quickly. I notice that the description changed significantly on the website vs the email.

Any ideas on the source of OG 23 and 24?
G u t h

Chip Royce
Posts: 5
Joined: July 22nd, 2020, 4:44 am

Re: de Negoce offer

#984 Post by Chip Royce » July 25th, 2020, 12:11 pm

23 & 24 seem to come from Truchard?

de Negoce "N.24 Pinot Noir is sourced from one of the most northeastern vineyards in the rolling hills of Napa Carneros that eventually become the Mayacamas range and Mt. Veeder. This is great dirt and about as good as it gets for the region."

Truchard Website: https://truchardvineyards.com/Vineyards/Terroir/ "Truchard is situated on the foothills of what becomes the Mayacama mountain range and Mount Veeder. "

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6812
Joined: August 28th, 2010, 3:35 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#985 Post by Michael Martin » July 25th, 2020, 12:12 pm

Not sure I want liquid sex. I tried the golden shower thing and I just didn’t think it was for me.

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 437
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 10:45 pm
Location: SF Bay Area - Mid Peninsula

Re: de Negoce offer

#986 Post by JonathanG » July 25th, 2020, 12:17 pm

TMI, Michael, TMI!
[bleh.gif]
I only now received the OG23 offer. I must be on the naughty list with MatthewT. At least I received it on both email accounts.
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Lloyd A. Kasman
Posts: 22
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:17 am
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

Re: de Negoce offer

#987 Post by Lloyd A. Kasman » July 25th, 2020, 12:22 pm

Nate Simon wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 9:01 am
Surprised the Chardonnay offer didn’t end up in my spam folder. 😆
Oddly, 22/24 and 26 went to my spam folder.. I really wanted to bite on the 26..

HoosJustinG
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 207
Joined: January 18th, 2020, 9:30 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#988 Post by HoosJustinG » July 25th, 2020, 1:23 pm

mattcitrang wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 5:18 am
OG #26 RR Chard

“Liquid Sex”?
Saw this and couldn't help but think about the tasting notes in "Sour Grapes"
I'm a good man ... in fact, it's my last name

Toby P
Posts: 60
Joined: May 7th, 2018, 6:44 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#989 Post by Toby P » July 25th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Chip Royce wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 12:11 pm
23 & 24 seem to come from Truchard?

de Negoce "N.24 Pinot Noir is sourced from one of the most northeastern vineyards in the rolling hills of Napa Carneros that eventually become the Mayacamas range and Mt. Veeder. This is great dirt and about as good as it gets for the region."

Truchard Website: https://truchardvineyards.com/Vineyards/Terroir/ "Truchard is situated on the foothills of what becomes the Mayacama mountain range and Mount Veeder. "
Almost definitely. I thought the 24 pinot was likely Truchard and this Chardonnay offer gets me closer to certain. Same vine ages, whole cluster pressed language (can read the tech notes on their website), right price point etc.
P r a t t

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3987
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Re: de Negoce offer

#990 Post by Wes Barton » July 25th, 2020, 3:06 pm

Sean_S wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 1:02 pm
Richard Jen wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 11:16 am
Sean_S wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 9:50 am


Yup, mine showed up today. Its pinot, its a little warm on the palate. seems shocked needs time. Based on the acidity level alone its not Mt Eden, Rhys, or Fogarty. Or its at least not typical of the wines they make.
Thanks for the update. Is the acidity high or low? Too early to tell whether it's a quality wine worth the price?
Its on the lower side, not the acidity to you typically see on those top producers. I will reserved judgement for a few months and then properly review... Its not bad at the moment. Certainly no ripe cola flavors or other industrial nonsense is a good start.
Sean blinded me on this. Had to search to find the thread. As an SCM veteran, I'll give my impression...

Big wine due to extended hang time in a cool climate, where temperature drops significantly later in the season. That means sugars accumulation slows dramatically and acidity doesn't drop that much. Sean is an acid freak. I like acid, too, and detest flabby wines. To me, this wine's acidity was perfect to balance out the fruit. I'd say moderate, not low.

The wine is dominated by bold, clove-y oak. It's a level I used to like, and might still in the right fortified wine. It's not offensive to me or anything. I'm sure plenty of people will love it. But to me, I'm too old for this shit. There's no transparency. It's more like a mulled wine than a wine. More product than craft. Zero interest.

My foggy memory of a second-hand relation of the blurb is high elevation and long-standing winery. Best guess would be Burrell School, who've been around since 1995, if that fits the parameters.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 542
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#991 Post by MatthewT » July 25th, 2020, 3:11 pm

I got 24 and 26 in one of my email accounts but not in the other and 26 came hours after it was released to everyone else. So I'm guessing an issue.
I'm a Turk

Chip Louie
Posts: 5
Joined: July 25th, 2020, 8:19 am

Re: de Negoce offer

#992 Post by Chip Louie » July 26th, 2020, 10:51 am

Toby P wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 8:32 am
Damn, Washington and Oregon expansion is gonna be fun! It’s taken all my willpower to only buy one case so far but a nice looking Oregon pinot could break me.

Btw every offer selling out in 24 hrs is definitely false right? Not sure why he needs to make that claim, he’s had incredible success and could just say most have? Maybe I’m misunderstanding
I am interested in the Washington and Oregon wines that may be offered. We have been buying them for a few years after driving through the area several times visiting our daughter at college. we found there are incredibly good wines to be had at reasonable and unreasonable prices. Walla Walla is like Napa & Sonoma was 40+ years ago, sheds out in the middle of nowhere and friendly people. But the wines are more grown up, Bordeaux style delicious not nearly as hot as the big California Cabs once were. Don't get lost in the reds, there are plenty of top shelf white wines to discover and drink too.

David Buck
Posts: 239
Joined: February 15th, 2015, 3:50 pm
Location: Guilford, CT

Re: de Negoce offer

#993 Post by David Buck » July 26th, 2020, 10:55 am

Wes Barton wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 3:06 pm
Sean_S wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 1:02 pm
Richard Jen wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 11:16 am


Thanks for the update. Is the acidity high or low? Too early to tell whether it's a quality wine worth the price?
Its on the lower side, not the acidity to you typically see on those top producers. I will reserved judgement for a few months and then properly review... Its not bad at the moment. Certainly no ripe cola flavors or other industrial nonsense is a good start.
Sean blinded me on this. Had to search to find the thread. As an SCM veteran, I'll give my impression...

Big wine due to extended hang time in a cool climate, where temperature drops significantly later in the season. That means sugars accumulation slows dramatically and acidity doesn't drop that much. Sean is an acid freak. I like acid, too, and detest flabby wines. To me, this wine's acidity was perfect to balance out the fruit. I'd say moderate, not low.

The wine is dominated by bold, clove-y oak. It's a level I used to like, and might still in the right fortified wine. It's not offensive to me or anything. I'm sure plenty of people will love it. But to me, I'm too old for this shit. There's no transparency. It's more like a mulled wine than a wine. More product than craft. Zero interest.

My foggy memory of a second-hand relation of the blurb is high elevation and long-standing winery. Best guess would be Burrell School, who've been around since 1995, if that fits the parameters.
Do you still agree with writeup? north of $50?

Sourced from wind-whipped, 2000+-foot elevation vineyards high in the Santa Cruz Mountains, this estate, reserve-designate Pinot Noir normally retails well north of $50/bottle.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 542
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#994 Post by MatthewT » July 26th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Come on Cameron lets get a $200 cab for $13, Sunday special

Also let's make sure you send the email to everyone!
I'm a Turk

User avatar
mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2136
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 8:48 am

Re: de Negoce offer

#995 Post by mattcitrang » July 26th, 2020, 2:30 pm

MatthewT wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 1:45 pm
Also let's make sure you send the email to everyone!
Prolem with those emails was ”sex” or any words that contained that string. Many email programs just blocked them because of that string.

MatthewT
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 542
Joined: July 24th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#996 Post by MatthewT » July 26th, 2020, 2:35 pm

mattcitrang wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 2:30 pm
MatthewT wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 1:45 pm
Also let's make sure you send the email to everyone!
Prolem with those emails was ”sex” or any words that contained that string. Many email programs just blocked them because of that string.
that's interesting but i'm signed up w/ 2 email accounts and one of them got *neither* email on Sunday. i can explain why i'm signed up with 2 email accounts. the OG signup was my "2nd" account i use for all commercial stuff but i don't get those emails to my phone. because these deals sell out quickly, i decided i wanted the emails to come to my personal email account. so i signed up again. it was this 2nd email address that got both offers, though the "sex" email came 3 hours late.
I'm a Turk

User avatar
G. D y e r
Posts: 2263
Joined: December 26th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#997 Post by G. D y e r » July 26th, 2020, 3:01 pm

Wes Barton wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 3:06 pm
Sean_S wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 1:02 pm
Richard Jen wrote:
July 23rd, 2020, 11:16 am


Thanks for the update. Is the acidity high or low? Too early to tell whether it's a quality wine worth the price?
Its on the lower side, not the acidity to you typically see on those top producers. I will reserved judgement for a few months and then properly review... Its not bad at the moment. Certainly no ripe cola flavors or other industrial nonsense is a good start.
Sean blinded me on this. Had to search to find the thread. As an SCM veteran, I'll give my impression...

Big wine due to extended hang time in a cool climate, where temperature drops significantly later in the season. That means sugars accumulation slows dramatically and acidity doesn't drop that much. Sean is an acid freak. I like acid, too, and detest flabby wines. To me, this wine's acidity was perfect to balance out the fruit. I'd say moderate, not low.

The wine is dominated by bold, clove-y oak. It's a level I used to like, and might still in the right fortified wine. It's not offensive to me or anything. I'm sure plenty of people will love it. But to me, I'm too old for this shit. There's no transparency. It's more like a mulled wine than a wine. More product than craft. Zero interest.

My foggy memory of a second-hand relation of the blurb is high elevation and long-standing winery. Best guess would be Burrell School, who've been around since 1995, if that fits the parameters.
Interesting. I've had a few very young Pinots that came across as having oak sticking out, but within 6-12 months integrated nicely. Any odds of the oak integrating after the bottle shock wears off? Could it be 'spicy' 4-EG Brett character, perhaps?

Certainly the alcohol level pointed to this being a potentially more Grenache-like profile, which at $15 a pop is totally fine. (If I was paying $40+, on the other hand, I'd not be pleased.) But spoofy oak doesn't work on Pinot, Grenache, or Grenache-like Pinots, so that's more concerning.
Greg

In that way, he is like cornerback Darrelle Revis, deserving of his own island, Mangold Island, if you will. “That would be a rusty, filthy island where people wear ripped jeans and stay in hotel rooms that are half price,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “But they would serve wine, and only the finest for Nick Mangold.”

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3987
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Re: de Negoce offer

#998 Post by Wes Barton » July 26th, 2020, 4:29 pm

David Buck wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 10:55 am
Do you still agree with writeup? north of $50?

Sourced from wind-whipped, 2000+-foot elevation vineyards high in the Santa Cruz Mountains, this estate, reserve-designate Pinot Noir normally retails well north of $50/bottle.
Burrell School is just over $50, not well over. Someone just described a '12 Clos de la Tech as being very ripe. Haven't had anything that recent. Two of their vineyards are that high up, and they certainly ask "well north of $50/bottle." They also make quite a bit of wine, spend a huge amount on bold, visionary rudderless ideas, aiming for DRC quality, while seemingly viewing the actual vineyard/winery employees as "unskilled" labor.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3987
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Re: de Negoce offer

#999 Post by Wes Barton » July 26th, 2020, 4:55 pm

G. D y e r wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Interesting. I've had a few very young Pinots that came across as having oak sticking out, but within 6-12 months integrated nicely. Any odds of the oak integrating after the bottle shock wears off? Could it be 'spicy' 4-EG Brett character, perhaps?

Certainly the alcohol level pointed to this being a potentially more Grenache-like profile, which at $15 a pop is totally fine. (If I was paying $40+, on the other hand, I'd not be pleased.) But spoofy oak doesn't work on Pinot, Grenache, or Grenache-like Pinots, so that's more concerning.
It's definitely oak. I've smelled new barrels like that, had plenty of wines made with barrels like that. Bold, clove-y profile. It's a signature that was more common a decade plus ago. Yes, it will integrate to a good degree. The fruit is bold, so I'd expect the fruit-oak balance to remain as both fade. The acid is in balance. I'm skeptical and SCM character will ever show. There's a lot of substance ("dry extract") from which tertiary stuff could evolve. So, it's entirely possible it could be something beautiful in 8 years. Or, still be clove-y. If you're buying anyway, putting a bottle or a few aside to see is something to think about.

Grenache-like is an interesting comment. A lot of Grenache is made this way. Blind tasting a wine like this, even though it's "big", the lighter bodied nature of those grapes is there to tip you off it's almost assuredly one of those two varieties.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

User avatar
G. D y e r
Posts: 2263
Joined: December 26th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Re: de Negoce offer

#1000 Post by G. D y e r » July 27th, 2020, 1:13 pm

Wes Barton wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 4:55 pm
Grenache-like is an interesting comment. A lot of Grenache is made this way. Blind tasting a wine like this, even though it's "big", the lighter bodied nature of those grapes is there to tip you off it's almost assuredly one of those two varieties.
I often tend to view Pinots that run in the 14% to 15% ABV range, with higher viscosity and weight, as Grenache-like. Conversely, a Grenache that is elegant and floral, perhaps with whole cluster or somewhat carbonic character, I tend to describe as Pinot-like.

It's probably because I perceive Grenache as a warm climate variety, and Pinot as a cool climate variety, based on where the varieties are historically established in Europe. In practice, especially in California, such a stark dichotomy is probably non-existent.

Nonetheless, my expectation for high end (more expensive) Pinot is that it is 'Pinot-like', with a cool climate character. Less expensive Pinot or Grenache can be any style, as long as it's not over worked. Thin-skinned, lighter body varieties definitely don't stand up to non-judicious oak application, thus for me a light hand with both Grenache and Pinot is much preferred.

I'm already in on the offer, since it piqued my interest. Worst case, it becomes a sharing with non-wino friends, it sounds like.
Greg

In that way, he is like cornerback Darrelle Revis, deserving of his own island, Mangold Island, if you will. “That would be a rusty, filthy island where people wear ripped jeans and stay in hotel rooms that are half price,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “But they would serve wine, and only the finest for Nick Mangold.”

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”