GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: de Negoce offer

#9101 Post by Alan Newman »

Ugh. In.

Kevin N

#9102 Post by Kevin N »

I saw a guess in a FB wine group of ST SUPERY because the meritage blend and AVAs matched up well. Also, the MSRP on their Meritage is $75.
Nieminen

Chr!s G|@rn3r

#9103 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r »

Kevin N wrote: April 1st, 2021, 5:46 pm I saw a guess in a FB wine group of ST SUPERY because the meritage blend and AVAs matched up well. Also, the MSRP on their Meritage is $75.
From what I just read on their website, St. Supery is in Rutherford and only produces wines with 100% estate fruit.

Lot 151 is 70% St. Helena, 16% Oakville, 14% Calistoga.

Kevin Patrick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9104 Post by Kevin Patrick »

Not sure if the 151 offer is for the general public but it's not findable to someone (me) by going to the denagoce.com site. If Cam is trying to get the unwashed masses (me) to buy more, then the redesigned site does not make it easy to find current offers.

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#9105 Post by Pat P »

Kevin Patrick wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:43 pm Not sure if the 151 offer is for the general public but it's not findable to someone (me) by going to the denagoce.com site. If Cam is trying to get the unwashed masses (me) to buy more, then the redesigned site does not make it easy to find current offers.
Here is a link
https://www.denegoce.com/products/n-151 ... QifQ%3D%3D
P 1 5 @ N 0

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9106 Post by ekwartler »

Kevin Patrick wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:43 pm Not sure if the 151 offer is for the general public but it's not findable to someone (me) by going to the denagoce.com site. If Cam is trying to get the unwashed masses (me) to buy more, then the redesigned site does not make it easy to find current offers.
https://www.denegoce.com/products/n-151 ... Y29tIn0%3D

I got a text and an email, and despite my now 24 cases purchased I assure you I am not VIP. Weird that you didn't get anything if you're on the list.
E r i c

BjeanG

#9107 Post by BjeanG »

Chr!s G|@rn3r wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:20 pm
Kevin N wrote: April 1st, 2021, 5:46 pm I saw a guess in a FB wine group of ST SUPERY because the meritage blend and AVAs matched up well. Also, the MSRP on their Meritage is $75.
From what I just read on their website, St. Supery is in Rutherford and only produces wines with 100% estate fruit.

St. Supery's Dollarhide Estate Vineyard is a source for their Elu Meritage and is located in St. Helena AVA, I believe.
Bjean

Chris C a r y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9108 Post by Chris C a r y »

I’ve bought 1 case, and got the text and e-mail.

t3matta

#9109 Post by t3matta »

St. Supery's doesn't really match the meritage blend or really anything else too well, in my opinion.. don't think that's it. This one is a head-scratcher.
T o n y

Chr!s G|@rn3r

#9110 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r »

BjeanG wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:49 pm

St. Supery's Dollarhide Estate Vineyard is a source for their Elu Meritage and is located in St. Helena AVA, I believe.
I think you are right. It is very strange if St. Helena is the primary source for their fruit but it isn’t mentioned a single time on the website or elsewhere.

Even so, the blend %’s don’t line up really closely and Elu has had all 5 grapes blended in the past.

J. Patrick Lynch

#9111 Post by J. Patrick Lynch »

It's always been this way. The case releases are not "advertised" on the site, but rather through a direct link. Search "lot" or the number and it will show up.
J @ c k

H.Ma

#9112 Post by H.Ma »

According to the Google Map and the attached article https://stsupery.com/a-world-apart/, Dollarhide Ranch is not belonged to St Helena AVA nor any sub appellation . If you look at the tech sheet of Cabernet Dollarhide single vineyard, its appellation is Napa valley.
H e i n

Chr!s G|@rn3r

#9113 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r »

H.Ma wrote: April 1st, 2021, 7:54 pm

According to the Google Map and the attached article https://stsupery.com/a-world-apart/, Dollarhide Ranch is not belonged to St Helena AVA nor any sub appellation . If you look at the tech sheet of Cabernet Dollarhide single vineyard, its appellation is Napa valley.
Yes this is what is so confusing. But the mailing address for Dollarhide Ranch is St. Helena. In either case, it doesn’t seem to line up for the purposes of tracking down the Lot 151 producer.

B Bauer

#9114 Post by B Bauer »

Does anyone know why notes are no longer available on the de Negoce site for OG N.64 2018 Calistoga "Hillside" Cabernet?
B o r i s

Chr!s G|@rn3r

#9115 Post by Chr!s G|@rn3r »

B Bauer wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 6:00 am Does anyone know why notes are no longer available on the de Negoce site for OG N.64 2018 Calistoga "Hillside" Cabernet?
Not sure but here is a link to the info copied from the site:

viewtopic.php?p=3118210#p3118210

t3matta

#9116 Post by t3matta »

OG Lot 165 2018 Napa Carneros "Estate" Pinot Noir
$144.00
https://www.denegoce.com/products/lot-1 ... 3466&_ss=r

***SHIPS EARLY MAY

Oh man, I'm in love. This gorgeous, textbook Napa Carneros Pinot Noir comes to us from one of the pioneers of not just Napa Carneros, but the larger Napa Valley region. If you are a Pinot Noir fan, I am confident this wine's effortless finesse will have broad appeal. It is faaantastic, ya just gotta trust me!

Priced at $50/bottle out of the tasting room with 91- and 93-point scores from a couple of the "big four" reviewers (wish I could name who scored what but these folks are quite protective), it's a fantastic offer at just $12/bottle, $144/case. This is the same wine the winery bottled, they just had more than they could use.

Dark garnet in the glass. Beautifully expressive nose with well-delineated strawberry and black cherry fruit accented by lilac, sweet plums, and earthy black tea and a kiss of sandalwood from the medium-toast French oak. Tons of verve here aromatically. The entry is supple and seamless with ripe red and black fruits amply supported by fresh, vibrant, mineral-driven acidity that leads to a beautiful, perfectly-balanced finish. This is fantastic Pinot Noir, deftly-made with an crystalline effortlessness that makes it nearly impossible to drink just one glass. Grabs the case folks, you won't regret it. Only 400 cases available!

100% Pinot Noir, 100% Napa Carneros Estate
35% new French oak, medium-toast.
14.1% alc.
600 cases available
Bottles late April, 2021 and will ship early May
T o n y

MJSPollock

#9117 Post by MJSPollock »

t3matta wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:02 pm OG Lot 165 2018 Napa Carneros "Estate" Pinot Noir
$144.00

***SHIPS EARLY MAY

Oh man, I'm in love. This gorgeous, textbook Napa Carneros Pinot Noir comes to us from one of the pioneers of not just Napa Carneros, but the larger Napa Valley region. If you are a Pinot Noir fan, I am confident this wine's effortless finesse will have broad appeal. It is faaantastic, ya just gotta trust me!

Priced at $50/bottle out of the tasting room with 91- and 93-point scores from a couple of the "big four" reviewers (wish I could name who scored what but these folks are quite protective), it's a fantastic offer at just $12/bottle, $144/case. This is the same wine the winery bottled, they just had more than they could use.

Dark garnet in the glass. Beautifully expressive nose with well-delineated strawberry and black cherry fruit accented by lilac, sweet plums, and earthy black tea and a kiss of sandalwood from the medium-toast French oak. Tons of verve here aromatically. The entry is supple and seamless with ripe red and black fruits amply supported by fresh, vibrant, mineral-driven acidity that leads to a beautiful, perfectly-balanced finish. This is fantastic Pinot Noir, deftly-made with an crystalline effortlessness that makes it nearly impossible to drink just one glass. Grabs the case folks, you won't regret it. Only 400 cases available!

14.1% alc.
600 cases available

I'm pretty sure I can't pass up this one... anyone have an ideas where this might be from?
M I c h a e l

t3matta

#9118 Post by t3matta »

MJSPollock wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:03 pm
t3matta wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:02 pm OG Lot 165 2018 Napa Carneros "Estate" Pinot Noir
$144.00

***SHIPS EARLY MAY

14.1% alc.
600 cases available

I'm pretty sure I can't pass up this one... anyone have an ideas where this might be from?
Schug seems to check quite a few of the boxes.. ABV is slightly off, but still pretty damn close. Anyone have any other thoughts?
T o n y

Kevin B

#9119 Post by Kevin B »

Deftly-made anyway... Tempted.
Beswick

David Mancuso
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9120 Post by David Mancuso »

Schug is highly likely. Their estate pinot is exactly at the price point, and the founder was the original winemaker at Phelps, checking that "pioneer of the larger Napa region" box. New French oak % is exact match, ABV off by 0.2%.

MJSPollock

#9121 Post by MJSPollock »

David Mancuso wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:38 pm Schug is highly likely. Their estate pinot is exactly at the price point, and the founder was the original winemaker at Phelps, checking that "pioneer of the larger Napa region" box. New French oak % is exact match, ABV off by 0.2%.
Domaine Carneros??
M I c h a e l

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9122 Post by ekwartler »

Just gotta jump in and say I just Coravin'd the Malbec that arrived today and holy hot damn. I don't know if it's just in a good spot or if it's actually ready to drink, but I am surpemely enjoying the glass I've got.

Passing on the pinot, though, even though the only DN pinot I've bought won't be ready to drink for 9 months. Have to draw the line somewhere...
E r i c

Rohit B

#9123 Post by Rohit B »

ekwartler wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 5:07 pm Just gotta jump in and say I just Coravin'd the Malbec that arrived today and holy hot damn. I don't know if it's just in a good spot or if it's actually ready to drink, but I am surpemely enjoying the glass I've got.

Passing on the pinot, though, even though the only DN pinot I've bought won't be ready to drink for 9 months. Have to draw the line somewhere...
Was this the Chalk Hill Malbec? Still regretting passing that one up. If it comes up again I am buying instantly.
13 h @ n

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9124 Post by ekwartler »

#103, walla walla malbec.
E r i c

Rohit B

#9125 Post by Rohit B »

ekwartler wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 6:07 pm #103, walla walla malbec.
Could you share a tasting note?
13 h @ n

Randy Sanders

#9126 Post by Randy Sanders »

Got mine today too. Gonna try one ASAP.
Thanks for the motivation.

Henry Ip

#9127 Post by Henry Ip »

Well that was fast... Ordered 151 on Thursday and received tracking notification that it is scheduled for delivery next Thursday.

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9128 Post by ekwartler »

Rohit B wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 6:09 pm
Not my forte, I'm afraid, and I only coravin'd maybe 1/3 of a glass. Wine definitely looked like a malbec in the glass, but I wouldn't call it varietally typical on the palate. Didn't think there was a lot of nose (though that could have been the relatively low volume of wine in the glass), but I literally said, "Whoa" after the first sip and passed it to the others in the room. I will say that it didn't feel like it had the same potential as many of the other DN wines I've tasted, but it was $10/bottle and stands ready to defend the others. An exciting purchase.
E r i c

Chris C a r y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9129 Post by Chris C a r y »

ekwartler wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 10:22 am
Not my forte, I'm afraid, and I only coravin'd maybe 1/3 of a glass. Wine definitely looked like a malbec in the glass, but I wouldn't call it varietally typical on the palate. Didn't think there was a lot of nose (though that could have been the relatively low volume of wine in the glass), but I literally said, "Whoa" after the first sip and passed it to the others in the room. I will say that it didn't feel like it had the same potential as many of the other DN wines I've tasted, but it was $10/bottle and stands ready to defend the others. An exciting purchase.
Eric, any thoughts on how the Coravin needle affects the Nomacorc closure? I haven’t tried it, but am considering getting a coravin. I’ve seen some concerns over weeping after use on this type of closure.

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9130 Post by ekwartler »

Chris C a r y wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 10:27 am
ekwartler wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 10:22 am

Eric, any thoughts on how the Coravin needle affects the Nomacorc closure? I haven’t tried it, but am considering getting a coravin. I’ve seen some concerns over weeping after use on this type of closure.
I've done it four times. The first was on a fully synthetic technical closure. That didn't work. It didn't close up again. The last three were on composite cork closures, and they worked perfectly. No weeping, not even right after I pulled the needle out. So, you just have to look at the closure and see what you've got there. I have no intel on the long term effects of coravining a composite cork, but none of the things I've used it on have been intended for long term storage.
E r i c

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9131 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

David Mancuso wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 4:38 pm Schug is highly likely. Their estate pinot is exactly at the price point, and the founder was the original winemaker at Phelps, checking that "pioneer of the larger Napa region" box. New French oak % is exact match, ABV off by 0.2%.
Schug is in Sonoma County part of Carneros.

Laird Family Estate has two estate vineyards in Napa Carneros region Ghost and Phantom each around $50 and Dunnuck scores of 90-91 points for 2018 vintage.

Pioneers in Napa, Laird Family own the largest acreage in Napa- with Robert Mondavi assisting them years ago...https://lairdfamilyestate.com/about-us-2

Personally, care less who producer is- grabbed a case to share with a friend.

David Mancuso
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9132 Post by David Mancuso »

Timothy B a l l a r d wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 1:03 pm
Schug is in Sonoma County part of Carneros.

Laird Family Estate has two estate vineyards in Napa Carneros region Ghost and Phantom each around $50 and Dunnuck scores of 90-91 points for 2018 vintage.

Pioneers in Napa, Laird Family own the largest acreage in Napa- with Robert Mondavi assisting them years ago...https://lairdfamilyestate.com/about-us-2

Personally, care less who producer is- grabbed a case to share with a friend.
Joseph Phelps is, of course, in Napa Valley. Walter Schug was their first winemaker. So I don't think the fact that Schug Winery is in the Sonoma County part of Carneros works against Schug checking the "pioneer of the larger Napa region" box. Laird is an interesting possibility, although the Schug Estate Pinot is a closer match on ABV, % new French oak, and price (exact match on 2 of 3). And it has a 93 point rating from Suckling, which lines up with the pitch.

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9133 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Thank You David- did you purchase some? Looking forward to trying it. Really enjoy the OG N.24 Carneros Pinot Noir. Cam is way excited about this one. Had to get it.

Cheers, Tim

Mike Mc

N.165

#9134 Post by Mike Mc »

I ordered a case of 165 yesterday and noticed on a case price of $144 there was $16 tax. That's 11.1%. All the cases I previously ordered had a tax rate of 7.25%. I live on the SF Peninsula 100 miles from Healdsburg. Hey Cam can you explain this new tax calculation? It's not right.
M c C a r t y

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: N.165

#9135 Post by PeterH »

Mike Mc wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 4:43 pm I ordered a case of 165 yesterday and noticed on a case price of $144 there was $16 tax. That's 11.1%. All the cases I previously ordered had a tax rate of 7.25%. I live on the SF Peninsula 100 miles from Healdsburg. Hey Cam can you explain this new tax calculation? It's not right.
Could be that the shipping is taxed also. I know that in Washington State the shipping cost is taxed.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

Mike Mc

#9136 Post by Mike Mc »

I dont think shipping is taxable in California when it is listed as a separate charge. This site has the info..
https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/formspubs/pub100/#applying

Delivery–related charge is not taxable when:

All of these conditions must apply:

You ship directly to the purchaser by common carrier, contract carrier, or US Mail;
Your invoice clearly lists delivery, shipping, freight, or postage as a separate charge;
The charge is not greater than your actual cost for delivery to customer.
Exception: Charge is taxable if you do not maintain records that show the actual cost of the delivery (see Invoices and Records).
If the tax amount calculated for the sale was based on the cost of the item plus the nontaxable delivery charge, you must refund the tax amount collected on the delivery or pay that amount to the CDTFA.
M c C a r t y

ekwartler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9137 Post by ekwartler »

We noticed that too today, that shipping was taxed. I would also like to know what gives.
E r i c

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9138 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Shipping is taxable charge in California. Cameron's SW had it programmed incorrectly before. Earlier purchases were given a grace by that. de Negoce had to make up the difference to FTB- ~$2.50/case depending on zip code. See Cameron's comments about this earlier.

Vladimir_Rahngel

#9139 Post by Vladimir_Rahngel »

does anyone still maintain a spreadsheet, especially with upcoming offers? The couple I've seen here haven't been updated in a awhile.

john mccarty

#9140 Post by john mccarty »

Timothy B a l l a r d wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 8:03 pm Shipping is taxable charge in California. Cameron's SW had it programmed incorrectly before. Earlier purchases were given a grace by that. de Negoce had to make up the difference to FTB- ~$2.50/case depending on zip code. See Cameron's comments about this earlier.
Timothy, this is incorrect.

It is clearly a bookkeeping error on the part of DeNegoce, which can be understood (but should not be tolerated) due to the fact that they (like all internet sales businesses that operate nationally) have to deal with greatly varying state/local sales tax regimes. I surmise that CA customers represent a pretty large share of their business, and they are operating in CA, therefore they should get it right ASAP. Earlier they kind of had it right when they were charging the CA state and their local sales tax rate, but in that case the legal burden is on the purchaser to report and pay the local sales tax due on the purchase (this only true since ~2019). So as a courtesy to purchasers, they began charging CA destination local taxes. This complicated things for them, because they have to know the local sales tax at all CA destinations they were shipping to, but they managed to get this right. Then inexplicably in late Feb they began erroneously charging sales tax on shipping. This is annoying because it incorrectly adds a completely uneccessary ~$3 per case (in San Mateo County, anyway) to purchases.

You can verify this empirically by checking your receipts for purchases from Amazon that require shipping (in or to CA). You know Amazon gets it right.

A succinct summary from https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/formspubs/pub109/, internet sales: Tax does not apply to separately stated charges for delivery of property from the retailer's place of business or other point from which shipment is made directly to the purchaser, provided the delivery is by other than the facilities of the retailer (for example, by United States mail, independent contractor, or common carrier). The exclusion for delivery and shipping charges only applies to the cost of the transportation to the retailer and the portion of a shipping or delivery charge that is greater than the actual delivery cost, is taxable.

further delving into the CA tax code will show that the only justification for charging tax on shipping in CA is:
1. If one doesn’t keep adequate records and can’t prove actual shipping cost. (Unlikely, and an insult to customers if true)
2. If the merchandise is delivered with a vehicle owned by the business (Nope).
3. A separate charge is made for fuel or handling. (Nope)
4. A delivery charge is included in the unit price, i.e. the delivery charge is not separately stated. (Nope)
5. The “freight-in” cost, or cost of shipping merchandise to your business is included. (Nope).
6. If the business charges more for shipping than actual shipping costs. (Possible, but in this case only the DELTA is taxable, not the entire amount).

T. Hall

#9141 Post by T. Hall »

Timothy, where are Cams comments about taxing shipping? I am in VA and this week`s order was the first time he charged tax on shipping. I am not aware of any other retailer doing this.

Reference: https://blog.taxjar.com/sales-tax-and-shipping/
Tom Hall -- Instagram: t0m.ha11

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9142 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Tom,

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169722&p=3228820#p3228820

Additionally, find Cameon's avatar- Holy Grail Steak Company click on his posts.

John, I purchase NOTHING from Amazon so cannot verify taxable shipping charges....

some references:

https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/formspubs/pub100/#applying

https://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/sale ... %20taxable.

Mike Mc

#9143 Post by Mike Mc »

Timothy, I and my bro John, are talking about taxes on shipping in Calif. Both he and I linked to the ca.gov site already and John clearly laid out in his post above, that based on the info on that site taxing of shipping, when listed as a separate line item, is not appropriate except in certain circumstance, none of which do we believe apply to de Negoce. If Cam thinks it does we'd like to hear his justification, not a the general excuse without detail he's already posted. I agree that the original taxes of 7.25% was too low. I had assumed that was the tax rate in Sonoma County..(Turns out it's actually 8.5%) My county taxes at 9.5% which would be $13.68 for a case costing $144. 144+13.68+29 shipping =$186.68. Multiply 144+29=173 by 1.095 and the result is $189.45. I was charged $189 even for the case. That's "only" $2.32 more. But the point is it's not right. T. Hall's link shows in which states taxes on shipping are allowed. California isn't one of them (except in special circumstances.) Sigh, oh well.
M c C a r t y

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9144 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

All:
It would be best to query Cameron on this sales tax issue. It's complicated. Being a resident in California, the shipping charge is taxable if shipped item is taxed. County taxes vary of course.
To those out of state, the rules are different, but for alchohol, I believe it's "delivered" to the common carrier in Sonoma Cty (Wine Country Connect). therefore California sales taxes apply? Then out of state sales taxes apply in local jurisdictions. My friend in Tx gets charged a higher sales tax rate than I do in California. I suppose he is being charged California taxes AND Tx sales taxes? He is not stpping purchases from DN due to that however.

Fred Jones

#9145 Post by Fred Jones »

I am a partner in a Digital Marketing firm. We have clients with similar stacks (Shopify/KLayvio) and it sounds like they may either not have the right plugin or configuration but its not that difficult to fix.

@Cameron #willworkforwine :)

Timothy B a l l a r d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9146 Post by Timothy B a l l a r d »

Fred- maybe Cam takes you up on offer. Tim

C. Heinsen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9147 Post by C. Heinsen »

Lot 167 Napa Valley Chardonnay up.

A combination of fruit grown in Napa Carneros and Oak Knoll, this vibrant, exquisite Chardonnay will have broad appeal. It is 100% barrel-fermented with 100% malaolactic fermentation and 50% new French oak, yet the wine retains tremendous freshness, elegance and super-pretty citrus and stone-fruit notes. This is no Rombauer. Instead, its elegant and pristine with the fleshy, creamy texture nicely balanced by vibrant acidity on the palate. I love this style.

The current version of this wine in the marketplace is the 2017 vintage which retails for anywhere from $40-$50/bottle and has received 93- and 94-point scores from The Wine Advocate as well as Jeb Dunnock. That the 2017 is still in the marketplace is likely why we were able to get our hands on a healthy chunk of the 2019. Complex, gorgeous and layered, Lot 167 2019 Napa Valley Chardonnay is a stunningly-good deal at $12/bottle, $144/case. You simply will not find this kind of depth and dimension anywhere near this price.

Medium straw in the glass. Pretty and perfumed with white peach and keffir lime notes nestled into the richness of ripe honeydew melon and sweet almond blossoms. The depth here is simply fantastic! One critic noted this wine sashays out of the glass - that is a perfect description. Fleshy and creamy on the palate with ripe, honeyed orchard fruit getting terrific lift from crystalline acidity that delivers a sweet and blossomy yet also toasty retro-nasal kick and huuuuuge length. Perfectly-balanced and pretty throughout, this fantastic Chardonnay has a sense of effortlessness, sophistication and elegance to it I rarely find in California Chardonnay. Absolutely fantastic.

100% Chardonnay
50% Napa Carneros, 50% Oak Knoll District
100% barrel-fermented, 100% malolactic fermentation,
50% new French oak, low-to-medium-toast.
13.5% alc.
800 cases available
Bottling April 14th, 2021
C h r i s

Mike Mc

#9148 Post by Mike Mc »

"Being a resident in California, the shipping charge is taxable if shipped item is taxed."

I'm sorry, but that is just not true, but for these exceptions which I don't think apply to de Negoce (from the ca.gov site I, John, and you Timothy linked to)

I'm not clear how you can read the ca.gov website and arrive at the conclusion that shipping charges are taxable. You keep making that claim without evidence.

As John McCarty already posted from that site...

These are the exceptions that allow shipping charges to be taxed:

"the only justification for charging tax on shipping in CA is:
1. If one doesn’t keep adequate records and can’t prove actual shipping cost. (Unlikely, and an insult to customers if true)
2. If the merchandise is delivered with a vehicle owned by the business (Nope).
3. A separate charge is made for fuel or handling. (Nope)
4. A delivery charge is included in the unit price, i.e. the delivery charge is not separately stated. (Nope)
5. The “freight-in” cost, or cost of shipping merchandise to your business is included. (Nope).
6. If the business charges more for shipping than actual shipping costs. (Possible, but in this case only the DELTA is taxable, not the entire amount)."
M c C a r t y

Chris Crutchfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9149 Post by Chris Crutchfield »

C. Heinsen wrote: April 4th, 2021, 1:14 pm Lot 167 Napa Valley Chardonnay up.

A combination of fruit grown in Napa Carneros and Oak Knoll, this vibrant, exquisite Chardonnay will have broad appeal. It is 100% barrel-fermented with 100% malaolactic fermentation and 50% new French oak, yet the wine retains tremendous freshness, elegance and super-pretty citrus and stone-fruit notes. This is no Rombauer. Instead, its elegant and pristine with the fleshy, creamy texture nicely balanced by vibrant acidity on the palate. I love this style.

The current version of this wine in the marketplace is the 2017 vintage which retails for anywhere from $40-$50/bottle and has received 93- and 94-point scores from The Wine Advocate as well as Jeb Dunnock. That the 2017 is still in the marketplace is likely why we were able to get our hands on a healthy chunk of the 2019. Complex, gorgeous and layered, Lot 167 2019 Napa Valley Chardonnay is a stunningly-good deal at $12/bottle, $144/case. You simply will not find this kind of depth and dimension anywhere near this price.

Medium straw in the glass. Pretty and perfumed with white peach and keffir lime notes nestled into the richness of ripe honeydew melon and sweet almond blossoms. The depth here is simply fantastic! One critic noted this wine sashays out of the glass - that is a perfect description. Fleshy and creamy on the palate with ripe, honeyed orchard fruit getting terrific lift from crystalline acidity that delivers a sweet and blossomy yet also toasty retro-nasal kick and huuuuuge length. Perfectly-balanced and pretty throughout, this fantastic Chardonnay has a sense of effortlessness, sophistication and elegance to it I rarely find in California Chardonnay. Absolutely fantastic.

100% Chardonnay
13.5% alc.
800 cases available
I didn’t know that the phrase “sashays out of the glass” is used in so many tasting notes by critics. In any event, I suspect this might be Tether Chardonnay. Only thing that doesn’t line up is the Oak Knoll source and the ABV.

L Harris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9150 Post by L Harris »

Chris Crutchfield wrote: April 4th, 2021, 1:34 pm
C. Heinsen wrote: April 4th, 2021, 1:14 pm Lot 167 Napa Valley Chardonnay up.

100% Chardonnay
13.5% alc.
800 cases available
I didn’t know that the phrase “sashays out of the glass” is used in so many tasting notes by critics. In any event, I suspect this might be Tether Chardonnay. Only thing that doesn’t line up is the Oak Knoll source and the ABV.
Good call, tasting notes line up ideally.
Looks like you can get the 2019 for $35.
https://www.wine.com/product/tether-cha ... 017/534383
L u k e

Return to “Wine Talk”